The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes

The Witch Family (original 1960; edition 2000)

by Eleanor Estes

Two little girls who love to draw witches build an elaborate world around the imaginary Old Witch and her family.
Member:scrapple318
Title:The Witch Family
Authors:Eleanor Estes
Info:Odyssey Classics (2000), Paperback

The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes (1960)

Once I started it, I remembered it from when I was young. Somewhat repetitive, but cute. ( )
  emrsalgado | Jul 23, 2021 |
Used to get this out of the library when I was a child. Have been using www.biblio.co.uk to re-read some old favourites that stuck in my memory. It didn't disappoint but it's too twee in style to satisfy and the author seems completely unconscious of the dark emotional depths that lie below. Interesting how the only male character is the bumblebee Malachi.... fertile ground for a book discussion group. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jan 23, 2021 |
fun, but now as good as many ( )
  Tchipakkan | Dec 26, 2019 |
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
This was one of my favorite books when I was a child. It's a delightful story about Little Witch and her family living on the Glass Mountain. ( )
  harrietbrown | Jun 24, 2017 |

Eleanor Estesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ardizzone, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For R. and H. and M.S. and W. and M. and P. and YOU
One day, Old Witch, the head witch of all the witches, was banished.

Amy and Clarissa, two little girls who love to draw and tell stories about witches, build an elaborate fantasy world around the imaginary Old Witch and her family, until one day they decide she is just too mean. The girls exile Old Witch to an old house on a glass hill with the warning that she'd better be good or else no Halloween! For company, they draw her a Little Witch Girl, a Weeny Witch Baby, and a talking bumblebee named Malachi. But then Old Witch magics the girls into her world -- and they find themselves lost in a make-believe world turned real.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,140,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible