Collins Bird Guide: The Most Complete Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe (1999)

by Lars Svensson, Peter J. Grant, Killian Mullarney (Illustrator), Dan Zetterström (Illustrator)

Following on from its hugely successful launch in 1999, Collins Bird Guide - the ultimate reference book for bird enthusiasts - now enters its second edition. With expanded text and additional colour illustrations, the second edition of the hugely successful Collins Bird Guide is a must for every birdwatcher. The book provides all the information needed to identify any species at any time of the year, covering size, habitat, range, identification and voice. Accompanying every species entry is a distribution map and illustrations showing the species in all the major plumages (male, female, immature, in flight, at rest, feeding: whatever is important). In addition, each group of birds includes an introduction which covers the major problems involved in identifying or observing them: how to organise a sea watching trip, how to separate birds of prey in flight, which duck hybrids can be confused with which main species. These and many other common birdwatching questions are answered. The combination of definitive text, up-to-date distribution maps and superb illustrations, all in a single volume, makes this book the ultimate field guide, essential on every bookshelf and birdwatching trip.… (more)

English (8)  Finnish (1)  All languages (9)
This is a review of the hardcover version of the third edition of this.

I'm a little puzzled by the glowing reviews I've seen online.

On the inside, yes, it's great. It's certainly the most inclusive I've seen, including birds I've never seen in any of my other guides. The maps and illustration are pretty good, too, bearing a great similarity to those in the Philip's Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe which is my current field guide.

It's the outside that's the problem: it's too big to fit in the pocket of any jacket I have here or in the outside pockets of either of my rucksacks—it's the sheer thickness that's the problem, as much as anything. It's also a little over twice the weight of my Philip's—if I could fit it in a pocket I'd probably be walking with one shoulder lower than the other.

It will make an useful desk reference, but I'm not taking this outdoors with me. Not what I look for in a field guide. ( )
  alaudacorax | May 3, 2023 |
The WP birding Bible! ( )
  Soupdragon10 | May 4, 2020 |
The best all-round guide to British birds.
  SGunard | Feb 28, 2013 |
The very best field guide I own - never leave home without it! ( )
  Rob_AC | Apr 21, 2010 |
Excellent basic field guide for birds of Europe and the Mediterranean. Great and clear illustrations, and informative texts in a pocket size book. The guide has served me very well from Finland to Morocco.

This field guide is regarded by many birdwatchers to be the best one available. ( )
  tmmst | Feb 6, 2007 |

Svensson, Larsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, Peter J.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Mullarney, KillianIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Zetterström, DanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Jännes, HannuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nikander, Pekka J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,781,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible