As King Elias is drawn ever deeper into the nightmarish web of Sithi dark magic, the allies of Prince Josua rally their forces at the Stone of Farewell, in preparation for a final confrontation with the undead Sithi Storm King and his evil minions.

What a massive book (phew). Williams completes his Memory, Sorrow, Thorn cycle by reconciling the tones of the first and second volumes. That isn't to say this book lies somewhere between happiness and sorrow, but rather this book seeks to find a way to happiness through sorrow.

To Green Angel Tower is an absolutely enormous journey, with more than a few creative asides. It was well worth it in my mind though. This series is often seen as the inspiration for a lot of the gloomier fantasy being written today. I can see why, but I think more useful themes from Memory, Sorrow and Thorn deserve to be reflected in modern fantasy. Few books tread the balance of nuance as carefully as this one does. Some are so dark and gloomy that a reader is depressed in the end instead of better for the experience, and some are so afraid to confront nuance that they end up saccharine and mindless. What we get in Green Angel Tower, however, is just right. It does maybe end too quickly, on an oddly joyous note, but the lead up to the finale is excellent. Worthy of its praise in every way, and definitely a turning point away from sole acceptance of Tolkien as the only working formula for fantasy. ( )
  yorga2020 | Aug 30, 2020 |
The epic conclusion to the Memory, Sorry and Thorn trilogy. As a conclusion to this trilogy, I really enjoyed the way it answered all of the questions from the previous books, along with the struggle to find those answers. Tad never lets his characters have anything easy, but it really is the characters that carry this novel. ( )
  Karlstar | Aug 28, 2020 |
Man, does Tad Williams need a good editor. I skipped the first two books in this series, and this stood up pretty well anyway. I'm not sure quite what to rate this, because it contained a couple of the most haunting scenes I've ever read watered down with a whole bunch of stuff that just should have been cut. A good abridgment could get 5 stars. ( )
  haloedrain | Aug 3, 2019 |
This series is so underrated. Amazing Osten Ard is back and we see battles, escapes, voyages through the Wran, Sithi-man relations, and so much more. This series has made me dig fantasy so much more.

Thank you Tad Williams. ( )
  JohnLambrechts | Sep 24, 2018 |
Tad Williams is phenomenal! ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
This is the complete version of "To Green Angel Tower" - consisting of what has also been published of Part 1 Part 2. See the Series page for further information.

As the Storm King's power grows, the loyal allies of Prince Josua struggle to rally their forces at the Stone of Farewell. There, Simon and the surviving members of the League of the Scroll attempt to unravel a prophecy that may ultimately allow them to strike down the undead Storm King and bring peace to the kingdom. This epic saga concludes as Simon travels back to castle Hayholt to confront Ineluki.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,327,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible