Sour Puss (2006)

by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown

Series: Mrs. Murphy Mysteries (14)

Visiting the local vineyards of Crozet, Virginia, world-renowned grape and fungus expert Professor Vincent Forland loses his head--literally. Forland had recently delivered a lecture on how distilled fungus plays a critical role in chemical warfare. Figuring the murder is political, the Crozet residents are hardly bothered and return to their routines--until another headless body shows up. Now it's up to Mary Minor Haristeen and her sleuthing animals to sniff out a killer befor someone else dies.… (more)

English (14)  German (1)  All languages (15)
It was OK when she stopped going on and on about bioterrorism and actually focused on the mystery. I did a lot of skimming. The problems with raising grapes was relevant, so I didn't mind that quite so much, but there was quite a bit of detail. For those interested in the subject, it's good, but I was relieved when she got off the subject and back to the story itself.

By the time the third person died, it was pretty obvious who the murderer was, although I already had my suspicions early on. ( )
  DonnaRowe | Jun 30, 2020 |
Unless you really love wine, skip it! ( )
  bookswithmom | Dec 18, 2019 |
Having read numerous of The Murphy Mysteries I was disappointed with this one. It didn't have the same pazazz that the others did. Don't know why, maybe because she remarried. An okay read, but her first ones were more enjoyable. ( )
  Greymowser | May 28, 2017 |
Harry and her ex-husband, Fair, are now husband and wife once again. Fur-family members Mrs. Murphy, Pewter and Tee Tucker couldn't be more happier.

From a bit of a crazy wedding, courtesy of the fur persons, the newly weds life gets off to a quick start. It seems that the emerging vitriculture of the Crozet, Virginia area is losing some of its key members...to murder.

Harry has recently planted a quarter acre in grapes and finds her curiosity on grape growing becomes second to finding out who is killing off some of the key players and what is the reason. With the help of the fur persons, and a few others, she is out to solve the mystery.

This is a series that I enjoy for a quick and light read. I enjoy the characters and the puzzles of the mysteries themselves. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Apr 12, 2017 |
Another fabulous installment in the Mrs. Murphy series. I love the interaction of the animals in this series. They remind me of my personal animals. Their actions are whimsical yet realistic. Rita Mae Brown did a lot of research into biological warfare, and it did get a little dry at times, but the characters make it well worth reading.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |

Brown, Rita Maeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, Sneaky Piemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Längsfeld, MargareteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Patricia Kluge and Bill Moses Their many acts of generosity go unheralded in keeping with their sensitivity and kindness.
"Mary Minor, wilt thou have this man to be thy wedded husband, to live together after God's ordinance, in the holy estate of matrimony?"
WorldCat has ISBN 055380362X for both Sour Puss AND The Sense of Paper by Wendy (Taylor) Holden (with the cover for 'Sour Puss')

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,054,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible