Tea for Ruby by Sarah, Duchess of York

Tea for Ruby

by Sarah, Duchess of York

Other authors: Robin Preiss Glasser (Illustrator)

As Ruby tells everyone about her invitation to tea with the Queen, family and friends remind her about how she should conduct herself.

Genre: Realistic fiction
Medium: ink, watercolor and colored pencil
This is a story about a little girl that gets in invitation in the mail, to have tea with the queen. She really thinks she was invited by the queen, so she tells everyone she knows she is having tea with the queen. Every person she tells, replies with a "Ruby I hope you don't _______, at tea with the queen". In the end, it was her grandma who invited her for tea. I don't really like this book, because the main character is so excited about getting to have tea with the queen, but every person she encounters, criticizes her. I would not have this in my classroom, because I think it gives the wrong message to little girls.
  sophiadale | Jul 23, 2016 |
Tea for Ruby is an example of contemporary realistic fiction. This book follows a little girl through a couple of days leading up to the day that she has tea with the "Queen". Throughout the book, little Ruby is very excited about her tea with the "Queen"! She exclaims this on almost every page. On almost every page, Ruby is reminded to have good manners. Eventually, the day of the tea comes. Her mother helps her get ready and they drive to her grandmother's house for the tea. This is a relatable to children. Children get excited, and sometimes they forget their manners. This is a good example of a CR Fiction because of its realistic situations. I would use this book in my classroom library.
Media: Ink and water color
  anine14 | Apr 13, 2016 |
Tea for Ruby by Sarah Ferguson is a very educational books for young children. The age limit can be from four years of age to all the way to ten years of age.This book talks about manners, and how you should carry yourself when going to a specific event. ( )
  MariettaLangdon | Apr 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading Tea for Ruby. I liked this book because of the author's use of repetition and because of the characterization of Ruby. Ruby was written as an eager, young girl who was excited for tea with the queen. I think she sets a good example for girls her age because she shows how important it is to use good manners. For example, she shows the importance of not interrupting and of saying please and thank you. I also loved the repetition in the book. The author consistently wrote Ruby saying, "I've been invited to have tea with the queen!" This repetition on each page reinforces the excitement and enthusiasm that Ruby has for her date. The main message I took from this book is to always use our manners and be polite. ( )
  NikkiDahlen | Mar 28, 2014 |
“Tea for Ruby” is about a little girl who gets an invitation in the mail to have “tea with the queen.” The story revolves around Ruby telling her family, teacher, and friends that she has received this exciting invitation, and they respond various reminders of appropriate behaviors like “don’t forget to chew with your mouth closed when you have tea with the queen!” This big idea of the story is to remember the importance of proper behaviors. The book would fit under the category of a picture book under the genre of contemporary realistic fiction and it is most appropriate for girls, around the age of an elementary school child since Ruby herself is a young elementary school girl. I really enjoyed the book because not only teaches children proper etiquette, but it also ties in the importance and fun of having grandparents be involved in children’s lives. It touched on various points of proper behaviors, such as not shouting or talking over other people, with repetition that engages the reader. At the end of the story, the “queen” ended up being the little girl’s grandmother, who had invited her to a formal tea party where they dressed as royalty. ( )
  kburdg1 | Mar 1, 2014 |

Sarah, Duchess of Yorkprimary authorall editionscalculated
Glasser, Robin PreissIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Beatrice and Eugenie -
you make my world complete
-S.F.
For Jacqueline Preiss Weitzman-
my sister, my partner, my friend
-R.P.G.
You are invited to have tea with The Queen on Sunday. Please bring your very best manners.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible