Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of…

Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl (edition 2009)

by Stacey O'Brien

Written with the same heartwarming sentiment that made the memoir "Marley & Me" a runaway bestseller, biologist and owl expert O'Brien chronicles her rescue of an adorable, abandoned baby barn owl--and their astonishing and unprecedented 19-year life together.
Member:kristinhays
Title:Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl
Authors:Stacey O'Brien
Info:Free Press (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 256 pages

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

A great story, full of amusing or touching anecdotes. A lot of the science is highly questionable ("Some researchers are also accumulating empirical evidence that animals use a form of telepathy to communicate with and understand us"). It is never very profound, and the writing is only acceptable.
But still, there's lots to learn. The owl Wesley is a real character, for example loving to play in water.

> In the wild, the father owl hunts relentlessly. He has to provide approximately six mice per baby per night. The usual brood is five babies. The father also has to feed his mate, who never leaves the nest and eats about three mice per day. And he must feed himself about four mice a day. This adds up to some thirty-seven full-grown mice every night during nesting season.

> One afternoon as I took a nap, Wesley was sleeping on his little pillow next to me. In my dreams I felt something soft brushing my face. Next thing I knew a mouse was neatly dropped into my mouth

> Wesley made me realize that if all I had to give was love, that was enough. I didn't need money, status, accomplishment, glamour, or many of the empty things we so value. ( )
  breic | Jul 25, 2019 |
Not just about owls - though the owl stuff is pretty great on its own!
(Lol!. Guess what's on Nature on PBS right now - Owls!) ( )
  catzkc | Mar 23, 2018 |
The remarkable love story of an owl and his girl
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I'm always interested in books about the intelligence and personalities of animals. This is about a barn owl, written by the woman who raised him from a hatchling and their 18-year relationship. Hardcore animal lovers like me will enjoy it. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
A remarkable story of a young biologist and the barn owl she adopted because it couldn't be released into the wild. You will learn about: barn owls, other critters, biologists, human relationships with animals, devotion (human and animal), communication (various), basement trolls (math physiologists), friendship and trust, love, family, and so much more. Fascinating, with some real life lessons for all of us. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Dedicated to my parents, Ann Baker Farris and Haskell Glenn O'Brien, who gave me wings to fly and in loving memory of my grandmother Agnes "Zimmie" O'Brien, who rescued, raised, and loved a barn owl long before I was born
On a rainy Valentine's Day morning in 1985, I fell in love with a four-day-old barn owl.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,764,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible