Saturnalia by Paul Fleischman

Saturnalia (edition 1992)

by Paul Fleischman, Joel Spector (Illustrator)

Member:SusieBookworm
Title:Saturnalia
Authors:Paul Fleischman
Other authors:Joel Spector (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTeen (1992), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:Your library, In Kentucky, To read
Tags:historical fiction, early America, TBR

Saturnalia by Paul Fleischman

I liked the structure of Saturnalia, with the story being passed from character to character as their lives touched. The actual story, though, was a little too quick and shallow for me. Probably because I'm way older than when I first read it! ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
Short Summary:
William is both an apprentice for a printer and a servant who is in a tribe and searching for his lost brother- two things that don't work well together in his world. He faces his double roles when the celebration of Saturnalia happens, when the masters and slaves switch roles.

Personal Reflection:
I don't want to say I hated this book, but I am not a fan. I felt that the illustrations were nice when they were there, but the book was extremely complex and even blew over my head a couple of times. The plot was fairly complex, and I guess I didn't feel that true times of the slaves/servants were accurately portrayed. i am glad I read it though, because I could see how it would appeal to a kid.
  hkent32 | Jun 9, 2013 |
William is an apprentice and a servant who is mistreated by those above his social position. He risks his position by pursuing a connection to his family from whom he was separated.

The book would be useful in a discussion about slaves and servants. ( )
  Jill.Barrington | Oct 22, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006447089X, Paperback)

"I Want You To Know That My Eye Is Upon You"

It is December 1681, and the words of Mr. Baggot, the tithingman, terrify young William. William is living a strange double life. By day he is a printer's apprentice living in a white man's house. By night, he is Weetasket of the Narraganset tribe who must risk Baggot's wrath to search for his lost brother. Then comes the winter celebration of the Saturnalia -- the ancient Roman holiday on which masters and slaves trade roles. Will William's secret be revealed? And what dark deed of others will be brought to light on this fateful night?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:09 -0400)

In 1681 in Boston, fourteen-year-old William, a Narraganset Indian captured in a raid six years earlier, leads a productive and contented life as a printer's apprentice but is increasingly anxious to make some connection with his Indian past.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,342,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible