How to Get Rich: One of the World's…

by Felix Dennis (Author)

201258,418 (4.1)1
Member:shakazul
Title:How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets
Authors:Felix Dennis (Author)
Info:Portfolio (2009), Edition: Reprint, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Rating:***
Tags:investing, business

How to Get Rich: One of the World's Greatest Entrepreneurs Shares His Secrets by Felix Dennis

Half biography, half advice book. His writing is pretty fun (in a British scoundrel sort of way) and it meanders between some advice (do it now, no half measures) and the history of publishing industry ups and downs. I enjoyed it! ( )
  pithos | Mar 6, 2014 |
Felix Dennis, creator/owner/chairman of Dennis Publishing (Maxim, Stuff, Blender, Computer Shopper, etc.), has written a fine book on the art of getting rich. Interestingly, Mr. Dennis describes his book as the anti-self-help book. It's an interesting descriptor given it's title. Nonetheless, Felix hangs his hat on the fact that he is brutal in his assessment of how to do so. He pulls no punches and he adds no fluff. He states it as it is which is nice for a change. Now, that said, some of what he says has been said in those self-help books he so loathes. Essentially, Felix's map to uber-success is as follows:

THE EIGHT SECRETS TO GETTING RICH

1. Analyze your need. Desire is insufficient. Compulsion is mandatory.
2. Cut loose from negative influences. Never give in. Stay the course.
3. Ignore 'great ideas'. Concentrate on great execution.
4. Focus. Keep your eye on the ball marked 'The Money Is Here'.
5. Hire talent smarter than you. Delegate. Share the annual pie.
6. Ownership is the real 'secret'. Hold on to every percentage point you can.
7. Sell before you need to, or when bored. Empty your mind when negotiating.
8. Fear nothing and no one. Get rich. Remember to give it all away.

You may look at this list and say, ho hum. I've heard much of it before. But in fact, you haven't heard it this way. Felix is ruthless in his questioning of your desire to be rich. Do you really want it? Are you willing to lose your family, friends, etc. in your pursuit? If you want it so bad, why haven't you already started in this direction? Ignore those who stand in your way. You'll need to be single-minded to get there - even then, it's a long shot.

It's different from the recipe model of "do this and you'll be successful and live happily ever after".

He tries to convince you through stories of his own life (this is essentially half biography/half how-to) that being rich isn't as great as you think it is. It can't bring you happiness. It often drives it away. He even goes so far as to say, "I have yet to meet a single really rich happy man or woman - and I have met many rich people." Bold words from a man selling a book on how to get rich. Especially given that he includes himself in that list.

I suppose that's the whole point of his book though. In essence he says, "this is how you can do it. It requires unswerving committment. It is still a long shot. It is unlikely to make you happy. Are you sure you want to do this? If so, don't mess around - GO!"

I was inspired. I truly enjoyed the book and would recommend it to friends. Despite his sordid past, I consider Mr. Dennis as someone to look up to. I respect a person who is a straight shooter and a true self-made entrepreneur. Richard Branson has been my idol since I was a teen (see my review of his book). To that end, I was shocked to find out that Felix had been Richard's assistant while Virgin was a fledgling company. It all came together for me at that point as to why I was drawn to this man's writing and attitude. It's that "who gives a shit? I'm going to do what makes me happy. Life is too short to bullshit around." attitude that made me say 'AHA!'

Read it if you are looking for inspiration along those lines. If not, don't bother. ( )
1 vote adamallen | Nov 10, 2006 |

Dennis wants to demystify the money-getting process, and his straight-talking, honest advice makes a refreshing change in this oversaturated field. Using humorous examples from his own business life, Dennis's advice, from The Five Most Common Start-Up Errors to The Power of Focus, might sound like conventional fare, but delivered in his signature bawdy, British style, it's altogether more entertainingand more practical.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,968,141 books! | Top bar: Always visible