The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew,…

The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew, Book 12) (original 1935; edition 1935)

by Carolyn Keene (Author)

Series: Nancy Drew (12)

Nancy Drew tackles a mystery professional detectives failed to solve--finding a valuable centuries-old message in a hollow oak tree in Illinois.
Member:tylerandemilea
Title:The Message in the Hollow Oak (Nancy Drew, Book 12)
Authors:Carolyn Keene (Author)
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1935), 181 pages

The Message in the Hollow Oak by Carolyn Keene (1935)

The OT is definitely in my Top 5. Nancy wins a radio contest which sends her to Lake Wellington (in Canada) to claim the piece of land she won. Naturally not everything goes swimmingly along the way. Really enjoyed the story, the action is top notch, we even get a chapter from the point of view of two of the villains. That never happens in the RT. And loved her adventure on the train ride to Lake Wellington. Very descriptive and atmospheric. ( )
  JohnnyRue | Apr 15, 2021 |
Some girls have all the luck. Nancy Drew entered a radio contest (writing the best name for a new mystery serial) and wins the deed to land in Canada! Coincidentally her father is working on a case for a Canadian man that involves an unscrupulous mining concern. Nancy is unconvinced that the land is worth much, but is willing to scope the place out when a dandy appears and tries to charm, buy, and even steal the deed from her! Despite this suspicious activity Carson Drew approves of Nancy's plan to visit her property and takes George and Bess with her. The journey is full of peril and other mysteries crop up begging for Nancy's aid.

This was a great deal of fun. I did not expect a train crash. Much like 'The Secret at Shadow Ranch', great emphasis is put on the beauty of the outdoors and our city girls enjoying simple pleasures, like a hearty, plain meal after a day's hiking. There's canoeing, and panning for gold, and a tragically parted pair of young lovers. The story comes down to Nancy's wits having to outmatch the ringleader of the land thieves when they are outnumbered and outgunned. She has to pull the wool over even her father's eyes to do it. Nancy makes some shocking and dangerous moves before she wins the game. The book's fault lies with just how many ridiculous coincidences stack up so that Nancy can solve several mysteries while only visiting two locations.

The revised novel changes everything, and having to do with archaeologists haphazardly digging up Native American burials, is more problematic than the book it replaced.

Nancy Drew Mysteries

Next: 'The Mystery of the Ivory Charm'

Previous: 'The Clue of the Broken Locket' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Apr 9, 2021 |
This is a decent premise, but the execution feels a bit off, as if all we wanted out of a mystery book were kidnappings and threatening letters. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Fine condition
  JamesLemons | Apr 21, 2020 |
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nancy," said the voice on the telephone, " you are wanted in New York City!"

A group of professional detectives challenge Nancy to tackle a mystery that they have failed to solve: find an invaluable message hidden by a missionary centuries ago in a hollow oak tree in Illinois.
While searching the woods for the ancient tree, Nancy and her friends live with a group of young archaeologists who are excavating prehistoric Indian burial mounds on a nearby farm. A shadowy enemy stalks Nancy and harasses everyone at the dig. The young investigator pursues her dangerous adversary to an outlaws' cave, and is threatened when she discovers an unusual treasure.
How Nancy, with few clues to go on, solves this complex mystery will thrill all readers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,308,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible