Judges by Robert G. Boling

Judges (1975)

by Robert G. Boling

Judges records the birth pangs of the Israelite nation. From the Conquest to the Settlement, the conflicts in this book (military, political, and religious) reveal a nascent Israel, struggling to define itself as a people. The period of the Judges, c. 1200-1100 B.C.E., was fraught with intertribal struggles, skirmishes and pitched battles with neighboring peoples, and the constant threat of assimilation. The Israelites repeatedly turned away from their God: ignored his commandments, worshipped other gods, and continually sinned. Yahweh raised up judges to lead the people back to covenant faithfulness. In their several roles as priest, prophet, and military chief of staff, these judges heeded God's call and led the people. In the Book of Judges, we get rare glimpses into the exceptional qualities and human frailties of these leaders. The approachable stories, the humor, and even the criticism of the children of Israel and the judges surprisingly illuminate a people in transition. Boling's in-depth introduction and commentary explain the historical background, the sociocultural and religious milieu, and the literary complexities of the book. His fresh translation draws the modern reader into the dynamic stories while conveying the nuance of the Hebrew text. Robert G. Boling is Professor of Old Testament at McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago.… (more)
    Judges: a commentary by Susan Niditch (waltzmn)
    waltzmn: The Book of Judges is one of the most complex and intriguing in the Hebrew Bible. No commentary can cover all aspects of it. Susan Niditch is very interested in its relation to oral tradition. Robert G. Boling devoted great attention to text and sources. The two complement each other well.… (more)

This study presented to me fresh insights in reading Judges. What I found truly interesting, which stayed with me throughout my reading of this commentary and the book of Judges, and helped me to better grasp picture of each event arising in the Judges was the idea that Israel's organization at that time was amphictyonic (the section on "Religion and Life," p.18-23).

Although it is written quite a bit above my knowledge of the Bible, I was still able to follow Boling's discussion easily. I think this is an excellent commentary and well worth the read. ( )
  atdCross | Mar 14, 2018 |
Bible, O.T. Commentary
  CPI | Jun 30, 2016 |
To a Twentieth-Century Patriarch
LYMAN FRANCIS BOLING
PREFACE
This book is written for layman and scholar alike, in the understanding that there is no ultimate difference either in how each learns from ancient writings or in the substance, ultimately, of what each can learn by studying them.
I. The Indecisive Settlement
(1:1-2:5)
Judah First
1 1 There was a time, after Joshua's death, when the Israelites had asked Yahweh, "Who will be first to go up for us against the Canaanites to fight them?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,813,055 books! | Top bar: Always visible