We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the…

We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam (edition 2009)

by Harold G. Moore (Author)

To honor fallen comrades, a journalist and a soldier return to Vietnam battlefields more than 30 years later.
Member:M4ttM4n
Title:We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam
Authors:Harold G. Moore (Author)
Info:Harper Perennial (2009), Edition: Reprint, 288 pages

Work Information

We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam by Harold G. Moore

Lt. Gen. Harold Moore and journalist , Joseph Galloway return to Vietnam more than four decades after the 34-day Battle of the Ia Drang Valley.
Ia Drang is called "The Battle That Changed the War in Vietnam."
After multiple bureaucratic roadblocks, they are permitted to enter what the Vietnamese have dubbed "the forest of screaming souls."
As a tribute to fallen comrades, we are taken on an emotional tour of Ia Drang and meet the human faces of this conflict.
We are able to perceive the devastating losses of battles in this valley and the price paid by all.
But there is so much more.

We meet men who were NVA military leaders.
We review both Vietnam in its history of combat and also reflect upon the US and involvement from Korea forward to Iraq.
"..Soldiers Still.." is autobiographical in part and we see all the facets of Lt General Moore's soldiering days.

The book is a fitting successor to We Were Soldiers Once...and Young
I needed to explore my association of now with then and this narrative helped me to understand and even more, left me somehow inspired and peaceful.

"The Guns are Silent, but the Memories Remain" ...(Robert C. Olson )

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥♥ ( )
  pennsylady | Jan 27, 2016 |
One should never go to a closing down sale at a book store. The temptations are too great.
  Greymowser | Jan 22, 2016 |
A nice wrapup of We Were Soldiers Once. It just amazes me that these guys who were trying to kill each other are able to put that aside and communicate. I'll just never understand. ( )
  bermandog | Oct 24, 2011 |
This is the follow up to Moore and Galloway’s We Were Soldiers Once…and Young. The original book, for those who have not read it, documents the battles of the Ia Drang valley in 1965, in which Moore commanded the 1st Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment. The more recent book discusses Moore and Galloway’s trips to Vietnam while researching the original book. Moore had the opportunity to meet the men who had commanded the North Vietnamese forces in the Ia Drang valley and found that they had much in common. Moore believes the U.S. ultimately failed in Vietnam because we did not understand the nationalist nature of the forces we were fighting; if we had focused on this rather then on their communism we probably would not have been involved in the war. I am not sure I entirely agree with Moore but he does make good points. The most important aspect of the book is that it provides a rare look at the North Vietnamese point of view. At a meeting between American and Vietnamese veterans of Ia Drang, an American who had been a machine gunner explained to a Vietnamese colonel where he was during the battle, upon hearing this the colonel replied, “You and your machine gun killed my battalion. Four hundred men. You killed my best friend.” Moore and Galloway put a face on the faceless enemy.

If that’s not enough to get you to read the book, throw in a couple of meetings with Vo Nguyen Giap, a visit to Dien Bien Phu, and an overwhelming tribute to Rick Rescorla who survived the Ia Drang but not the World Trade Center. One of the best books I’ve read in a long time. ( )
  sgtbigg | May 27, 2011 |
Billed as a sequel, but more like a "where are they now" book. Overall, an excellent follow-up to their classic war memoir "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young". Hal Moore and Joe Galloway talked about several trips they took back to Vietnam and to the battlefields of Ia Drang (LZ X-Ray & Albany), along with side trips to Dien Bien Phu. They also discuss topics such as how Vietnam as rapidly changed over the past 30 years.

It's somewhat different in style from the first book; having more of a reflective and introspective nature to it. Rather than give you details of the savage battles that took place, the authors offer reflection and reconciliation with their old enemies, and try to come to some closure on the events that changed their lives while serving in Vietnam. It's a bit easier and quicker to read than the first book, and has a more personal style. The chapters on leadership and war, while seemingly out of place, I found to be very enlightening in terms of learning about Hal Moore's personal values and character. I'm becoming more interested in leadership, and I think Lt. Gen. Hal Moore is definitely one of the best, and represents something all military officers should aspire to become. ( )
  Hiromatsuo | Apr 14, 2010 |

Harold G. Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Galloway, Joseph L.main authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,459,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible