The Gods of Mars (John Carter of Mars) by…

The Gods of Mars (John Carter of Mars) (edition 2011)

by Edgar Rice Burroughs (Author)

Series: Barsoom (2)

The Gods of Mars is the second novel in Burroughs' Barsoom series. The setting is an inhabited, dying Mars, where the different races fight over dwindling resources. It is a frontier world full of honor, glory and desperation; lost cities and ancient secrets provide the landscape for heroic adventures.… (more)
Member:BradenBarber
Title:The Gods of Mars (John Carter of Mars)
Authors:Edgar Rice Burroughs (Author)
Info:Fall River (2011), 264 pages

Work Information

The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Martian Wars: Hammer of Mars by M. S. Murdock (Claire5555)
    Claire5555: This is an old book, but if you like Mars and our solar system for adventure then you will really enjoy this book
    The Cylons' Secret by Craig Shaw Gardner (Claire5555)
    Claire5555: Brilliant science fiction Novel, pre-dates the TV series.

English (36)  Hungarian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (38)
...and I have officially given up on John Carter of Mars.

This book was simply awful. From the ridiculous string of coincidences that open the book, the battles that continually pit John and one other person against hundreds, all the way to the seemingly utter lack of conflict that occurs throughout. John needs to meet a someone to move the next plot point. So, shockingly, he happens to stumble into the exact right room to find them. And they get along like they've been old friends for years. And obstacles? Yeah, they're not really obstacles.

I was really hoping the series might get a touch more grit as it went on, but this was terrible.

And I'm done. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
This is the second book in the author's Barsoom (Mars) series, a sequel to Princess of Mars. John Carter returns to Mars after a 10 year gap and has to battle through the various factions on the planet to rescue his princess Dejah Thoris, though he (hopefully temporarily) loses her again in the last chapter. As ever, Burroughs is very imaginative in creating alien cultures, despite the obvious limitations of scientific and astronomic knowledge at the time the book came out in 1913. There is very little plot, it is all action sequences, battles, one on one fights, captures and rescues, which does become a bit repetitive at times. ( )
  john257hopper | Jan 14, 2021 |
Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Written 1912 Published 1913 All Story Magazine
Cover by Michael Whelan
This reflection starts out with a confession. Having listened to the book a few years back I wasn’t going to re-read it when giving my reflections. As I pulled it off the shelf for a quick skim, I realized that I didn’t really remember much of the story. I have to say I am very glad I chose to read it again.
This was the book that sold me on Edgar Rice Burroughs more than any other. Mind you I devoured anything Tarzan, TV, movies, comics but I didn’t connect Tarzan with ERB per se. Tarzan was Tarzan. But this second appearance of John Carter of Mars stayed in my psyche. It must have been the first that I read since the ending stuck in my head all these years. Enough that I would confuse it with the ending of A Princess of Mars.
Gods of Mars is Burroughs unleashed, his imagination going places further than Princess. Reading the first chapter, visualizing the plant men with their kangaroo attack mode with the spade like tails had me spinning. Here ERB creates and deconstructs the religion of Barsoom (Mars). In some ways making his own thoughts about religion clear. In the desert world of Barsoom, he envisions an oasis at the bottom of the planet.
The geography boggles my mind. Here we have a sea at the bottom of the world with another sea underneath it. Immense caverns with parts of the city emerging above ground to be in the upper sea. My mind still reels thinking about it but also I realize that Burroughs had it mapped out in his mind. The action shifts from the civilizations at the bottom of Barsoom to an ancient city to the halls of Helium in typical Burroughs whirlwind fashion but it holds together.
ERB is hitting his stride here with daring feats of battle by John Carter to naval fleets in wide scale aerial battle. We have individual fights, rebellions and armies meeting all in 190 pages. I’ve accused Burroughs of being the master of coincidence and happenstance but in this story it works. Burroughs has his tropes that he uses but in Gods, they aren’t his tropes, this is ERB exploring the ideas for the first time. There is an energy and enthusiasm to this novel that caused me to embrace the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I read the Del Rey edition with a cover by Michael Whelan. Whelan captures the craziness of the first chapter of the novel while giving us not just John Carter but his faithful companion Tars Tarkas as well.
Looking at Burrough's next novel I find that although Tarzan of the Apes and Princess of Mars introduced the iconic characters, it is with their second novels that Burroughs solidified the characters and established the true wonders of the world they exist in. ( )
  twolfe360 | Oct 31, 2020 |
The Gods of Mars is considered by most Barsoom fans to be one of the best of the series. John Carter spent years trying to figure how to get back to Mars and his beloved Dejah Thoris. When he arrives he’s not at a location that he is familiar with. He has entered the Valley of Dor, the Barsoomian afterlife.

The Gods of Mars is a much faster-moving story than the first Barsoom book. In A Princess of Mars we were introduced to Red Martians and the Green Martians and in The Gods of Mars we meet the White Martians and the Black Martians.

The Gods of Mars is a swashbuckling space adventure and a solid entry to John Carter novels. The story may be cheesy, but John Cater's second adventure on Mars is a thrilling ride. I thought it was an overall fun read and a hallmark of the science fantasy genre. I look forward to reading the next story to see how the characters and conflicts progress.I

TBR 1400 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
There's virtually no preamble, Burroughs just catapults Carter into the heart of the adventure and you, dear reader, better catch your breath and try to keep up with the mightiest warrior Mars has ever known!

The previous book ended on a cliffhanger and, fair warning, so does this one: best have the first three books gathered together if this is your initial voyage to the dead sea bottoms of Barsoom.

Amidst the adventure is a moral, that organised religions are often not to be trusted as they become vehicles for corruption, exploitation, abuse and self-aggrandisement. Who knew? ( )
  Michael.Rimmer | Feb 27, 2019 |

Schoonover, Frank EarleCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sobez, LeniÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Willnow, FranziskaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twelve years had passed since I had laid the body of my great-uncle, Captain John Carter, of Virginia, away from the sight of men in that strange mausoleum in the old cemetery at Richmond. (Foreword)
As I stood upon the bluff before my cottage on that clear cold night in the early part of March, 1886, the noble Hudson flowing like the grey and silent spectre of a dead river below me, I felt again the strange, compelling influence of the mighty god of war, my beloved Mars, which for ten long and lonesome years I had implored with outstretched arms to carry me back to my lost love.

When Hell Broke Loose

Three monstrous white apes sprang into the arena. Oh her throne, Issus, the living goddess of the First Born, leaned forward in keen anticipation. At length the apes spied the huddled knot of terror stricken maidens and, with demoniacal shrieks of bestial frenzy, charged upon them.
A wave of mad fury surged over me. A single blow sent my guard unconscious to the ground. Snatching up his long-sword, I leaped into the arena. The sword whirled, and a great ape sprawled headless at the feet of the fainting girls.
The other apes were upon me now - but my act had heartened the prisoners, and the cages vomited forth their inmates hot with the lust to kill -0 doomed men dedicated to revenge upon Issus!
But against each of us were a thousand warriors of the First Born.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100208, 1400109345, 1452608261

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,490,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible