City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, Book…

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, Book 3) (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Cassandra Clare (Author)

Still pursuing a cure for her mother's enchantment, Clary uses all her powers and ingenuity to get into Idris, the forbidden country of the secretive Shadowhunters, and to its capital, the City of Glass, where with the help of a newfound friend, Sebastian, she uncovers important truths about her family's past that will not only help save her mother but all those that she holds most dear.… (more)
Member:greenteaholic
Title:City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, Book 3)
Authors:Cassandra Clare (Author)
Info:Walker (2009), 496 pages

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (2009)

English (353)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (358)
Just trying to overcome Max's death v.v could barely get through the whole book after getting to that part. ( )
  Biyankuh | Aug 21, 2020 |
lgpb
  5083mitzi | Aug 2, 2020 |
I am done with this world. I can’t stand any of the characters, the storytelling is so lackluster and frankly gross at times but also highly boring, the dialogue is so cringy. I’m just over it, this is not a world for me. ( )
  SweetKokoro | Jul 30, 2020 |
===Reread review 2018===

I love this series. I love it with a fiery passion. (Is that even a thing? Or can you only hate things with a fiery passion? I don't know, and I don't care. I love it with a fiery passion either way.) This is one of my absolute favourite series, and I love it with all my heart.

This isn't the sort of thing I would usually enjoy. Waaaayyyyyy too much teen angst. But yet somehow I still manage to not only like this series, but absolutely love it! How? Two things.

1. The world. Over the course of the series, as well as TID and TDA, this world is developed incredibly well. I feel like I know this world as well as my own. There's only a very select few worlds I feel this way about (Harry Potter, Tamora Pierce's worlds...). Partially this come from my obsession with it, but it also has to come from some pretty spectacular world building.

2. And, of course, the characters. The characters are where these books are really strong. From early on in the first book, I fell in love with these wonderful characters! I could easily talk at length about each and every one of them for hours. However I don't think any of us has time for that, so I'll just stick with saying that each and every one of them is well developed and amazing, and most of them are also hilarious.
I'm just oh so completely in love with all of them, and they are such spectacular characters!

So yeah, I love this series with all of my heart!

===Original (very cringy) review 2017===

This is my favourite in the series so far. I really, really liked it. I now desperately want to read the rest of the books, but I don’t have them right now. Grrrrr.
At least this one didn’t end in a cliffhanger, thank goodness. Otherwise I would probably be complaining very loudly to everybody who would listen. And people who wouldn’t. And possibly my bookshelf.

SETTING

The book takes place mostly in Idris. As much as I think New York is a wonderful setting for these books, I really liked reading about Idris as well, because it developed the world a lot.

However, I didn’t feel Idris was actually that well developed. Parts of it were, but I couldn’t really picture a lot of it… It wasn’t too bad, I just felt it could have been done better.

PLOT

The plot was, once again, very predictable.

I predicted most of the plot twists ahead of time, and nothing really surprised me.
Near the end, they finally figured something out that I’d been 90% sure of since part way through book two. I actually suspected it since the end of book one, and had almost all the details worked out by halfway through this book.
Seriously, my reaction to what I’m pretty sure was supposed to be a shocking plot twist, was just to very calmly think “Huh, that little detail that I couldn’t quite figure out makes sense, I should have guessed.”

Basically, I’m NOT impressed. But I was happy that they’d finally figured it out, so that I could stop complaining that it was SO OBVIOUS!!! So, SO obvious. Ugh.

CHARACTERS

I don’t have all that much to say about the characters that I haven’t already said. I love Jace and Isabelle and Simon. I’m liking Alec more and more. I guess there’s a couple of new* characters I can talk about

Amatis – I like Amatis, she’s nice. There’s a couple scenes that make me really like her, but she doesn’t really do much.

Aline – Same as Amatis, I like Aline, there’s a couple of scenes where she’s great, but she doesn’t do much. I do think you get to know her a bit better, but… not very well.

Maryse – Maryse is Alec and Isabelle’s mom. She was in the second book as well, but I feel like we got to know her better in this book.** When she first came in I didn’t really like her, I thought she was a bit of a jerk. However, I actually quite like her now.

Max – Max is Alec and Isabelle’s little brother. He’s very serious, and sort of adorable.

*My definition of new being ‘Characters I haven’t already talked about’ not necessarily characters who are ACTUALLY new.

**Although I’m not entirely sure… I read this book IMMEDIATELY after finishing City of Ashes, so I can’t really keep them straight.

Over All
I really, really liked this book. I think I’m now mildly obsessed with this series. I’d really like to read the rest of the series. Really badly. Ideally RIGHT NOW! Humph, apparently that isn’t possible. I. Am. Not. Happy. ( )
  irisssssssss | Jun 17, 2020 |
I cannot describe how much I loved this book. I found myself on the edge of my seat almost constantly. This book was so powerful. All I have left to say if Finally ;) ( )
  thinkbook11 | Jun 14, 2020 |

Cassandra Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gordon, RussellCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosamilia, Mikesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Long is the way
And hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light.
-John Milton, Paradise Lost
For my mother. "I only count the hours that shine."
The cold snap of the previous week was over; the sun was shining brightly as Clary hurried across Luke's dusty front yard, the hood of her jacket up to keep her hair from blowing across her face.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,819,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible