The White Wolf: The Elric Saga Part 3 (3)…

The White Wolf: The Elric Saga Part 3 (3) (Elric Saga, The) (edition 2022)

by Michael Moorcock (Author), Alan Moore (Foreword)

Series: The Elric Saga (3), Elric (5), The Eternal Champion (Elric novella collection after novel 3)

1,2451912,080 (3.73)20
Member:Xylrith
Title:The White Wolf: The Elric Saga Part 3 (3) (Elric Saga, The)
Authors:Michael Moorcock (Author)
Other authors:Alan Moore (Foreword)
Info:Gallery / Saga Press (2022), 624 pages

Work Information

The Weird of the White Wolf by Michael Moorcock

English (17)  French (2)  All languages (19)
pb
  5083mitzi | Jan 1, 2022 |
Excellent entry in the saga, finds Elric at his darkest hour and the prologue offers hints toward more darkness still to come. Book one Elric at his most Melnibonean and his greatest despair so far. Book two his hopes are dashed again and book three a return to form as he defeats a great enemy and is once again thwarted in vengence. ( )
  kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
I'm quite surprised at how much I'm enjoying this series. Often, the books I read as a young man end up leaving me cold now that I'm an old fart.

But Elric stands up. And this volume, bookended by two short stories, with a long one in between, is just as much fun. Elric is now a nomad, a dark, brooding orphan from a city that no longer exists, his only companion a sword with a mind of its own that he can't be rid of.

So, it's somewhat like Conan, right? Well, yes and no. There's definite similarities, but there's significant differences that make Elric a singular character in fantasy fiction.

Looking forward to the fourth volume. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
These shorts and novellas almost all revolve around Elric, the tormented anti-hero that sits in the palm of Chaos thanks to his intelligent and willful sword Stormbringer.

As sword and sorcery stories go, this one really stands out. It's not so much Conan as it is straddling the line between shifting realities and the world, wanting to be free of the fate of the Champion of Chaos while being the penultimate brooder with unimaginable powers, seeking peace at any cost.

Whenever I think of Elric, I think of the ultimate archetype, and there's a lot to point at to prove it. The writer walks the careful line of making him and his quest larger than life, full of magic and conquest, sea battles, monster battles, and even going so far as to open the book of life, as stolen by the greatest necromancer... only to have all answers crumble before him.

Chaos and Law are the maelstroms that Elric traverses, and even though the theme is very much done and done again even in this cycle, the quest is always the thing. We're always meant to come away with the same conclusions as Elric, the great and evil Elric, deciding to give the world the misery it so seems to desire.

Pretty powerful stuff, really, and these really should be placed in their proper time, the sixties and seventies, introducing us to the template to one of the greatest tragic heroes and sometimes horrendous villains. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Moorcock, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gould, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Persson, ClaesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabaté, HernánTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Ted Carnell, editor of New Worlds and of Science Fantasy,who published all the early Elric stories and and whose suggestion I first began to write the series. A kind and generous man who gave me much encouragment in my early years and without whom these stories would never have been written.
From the glassless window of the stone tower it was possible to see the wide river winding off between loose, brown banks, through the heaped terrain of solid green copses which blended very gradually into the mass of the forest proper.

AN UNHOLY ALLIANCE BETWEEN SWORD AND SWORDSMAN...

"We must be bound to one another, then. Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then - let it be thus so - and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melniboné and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind -produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us..."

Imrryr, the dreaming city;  Yyrkoon, the hatred usurper; Cymoril, the beloved - all had fallen to the fury and unearthly power of the albino prince and his terrible sword. And Elric faced at last the fate that was to be his in this haunted era: that he must go forth, sword and man as one, and havoc and horror would be forever at his forefront until he found the Purpose tag was as yet obscured to him...

THE WEIRD of THE WHITE WOLF is the authorised, revised and complete novel of the third book of Elric.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,934,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible