Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Double Identity (edition 2007)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)

Thirteen-year-old Bethany's parents have always been overprotective, but when they suddenly drop out of sight with no explanation, leaving her with an aunt she never knew existed, Bethany uncovers shocking secrets that make her question everything she thought she knew about herself and her family.
Member:MichaelMeinhart
Title:Double Identity
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2007), Edition: Reprint, 218 pages

Work Information

Double Identity by Margaret Peterson Haddix

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
I loved Margaret Peterson Haddix’s Shadow Children series, so I was excited to read another book by her. Double Identity did not disappoint! I was drawn to the cover because it looked mysterious and interesting. Not only was there suspense and action, but my heart also went out to Bethany as she tried to figure out who she was and what was going on. I couldn’t help but feel bad for her after she was abandoned by her parents, and she didn’t have anyone she could turn to for help. It would be so lonely without friends and family (or familiar family)! The mystery kept me guessing, and I couldn’t wait to find out why everyone was reacting to Bethany like she was someone else. What a strange feeling that would be! I have had people think I looked like someone else before, but no one acted spooked (thank goodness). I think this book is great for anyone who likes reads that have an edge of danger and lots of suspense. Kids in fourth grade and up will read this one as fast as they can to solve the case! I look forward to reading more books by this fascinating author. ( )
  Robinsonstef | Jul 10, 2019 |
This was an interesting read that raised some complex questions regarding identity, but there were quite a few frustrating aspects to it as well. Things like "we're going to continue keeping secrets even though that is obviously not the best course of action and has led to the majority of the problems we've encountered to this point" and some scientific aspects as well. Specifically, cloning and how it would work. Even identical twins--the closest thing we have to human clones--are not 100% the same as each other, so why should Bethany be so similar to Elizabeth, down to favourite foods and hobbies and physical abilities and all the rest? It just doesn't seem feasible to me, even if we are looking at a science fiction story.

Still, all told it is a fun, fast-paced read, and for the intended audience it should be pretty engaging. ( )
  shadrachanki | Jun 8, 2018 |
Bethany's parents dump her on the doorsteps of a never-seen-before aunt. As she impatiently waits for her parents return she encounters more and more oddities about herself and her parents. Her world gets turned upside down when she learns the truth. Interesting premise but the ending was very sudden...although it did pull everything together. Bethany is annoying and frustrating at certain points in the story but you almost can't blame her. ( )
  mpmleonard | Mar 12, 2018 |
It was interesting that since she had different experiences than her predessesor that she liked differant things and she had a different personality. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
In memory of Katie, Kristen, Richard, and many others who are gone.
My mother is crying. She is trying to do it silently, but from the backseat of the car I can see her shoulders heaving up and down, her entire body racked by sobs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,001,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible