Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

Our Town (1938)

by Thornton Wilder

Recently added bylynnm, Floyd3345, private library, Abril8386, Brenda_Zehnder, Amelia1989, tye321, alexanme, sarahspringfield, CindyHamm
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (kxlly)
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both (in vastly different tones) play with the awareness that the events are part of a play
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Especially the final graveyard scene.
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    All My Sons by Arthur Miller (joririchardson)

Our Town; a Play in Three Acts. Thornton Wilder.1939. Our book club decided to read this and Romeo and Juliet since they will be shown at the Shakespeare Festival this year. I’d forgotten how good Our Town is, how easy it is too read, and how the emotional impact of act three hits you! After I read it, I watched a 1977 television production in which Hal Holbrook was the stage manager which was stupendous! Read and watch this production or just watch it. ( )
  judithrs | Apr 28, 2019 |
Our Town is uniquely written but universally appealing. The small town is resonant with many, and therefore speaks to Small Town America. Wilder's classic has been read and performed over the years, and rereading the classic can be like visiting an old friend. Reading the text with college students created a rich dialogue for the symbolism and values portrayed within the text. This is a quick read which will definitely make you think. ( )
  bwheatley | Feb 19, 2019 |
I kinda hated this book, I didn't like reading it as a play but that's just me. But I also found the whole thing a bit boring. ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Daily life, love and marriage, and death in a small New England town. This was a reread for me; I found it just as powerful as I remembered. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 18, 2016 |
This is my favorite play. It has a subtle sense of humor and I liked that. It's also really sad in places. I'm not sure I can give it a good enough review. It's simple, but political. I enjoyed the portrayal of the afterlife. Good stuff. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |

Thornton Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Margulies, DonaldForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alexander Woollcott of Castleton Township, Rutland County, Vermont
This play is called "Our Town."
Emily: Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute?

Stage manager: No. (Pause) the saints and poets, maybe - they do some.

This short play seems simple at first, but is actually has a lot of depth to it. It is about the typical life in the small and quaint town of Grover's Courner, New Hampshire. The characters are very genuine. The main theme of the book asks what the purpose of life is; I think the message is to enjoy the life you have and to not waste it because it will be over before we know it. Don't take life for granted. Do something with your life. I loved reading this play because of its message and the particular way the play gets that message across.

Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize–winning drama of life in the town of Grover 's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.

It is now reissued in this handsome hardcover edition, featuring a new Foreword by Donald Margulies, who writes, "You are holding in your hands a great American play. Possibly the great American play." In addition, Tappan Wilder has written an eye-opening new Afterword, which includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

This beautiful new edition features an eye-opening Afterword written by Tappan Wilder that includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material. Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize-winning drama of life in the small village of Grover's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,502,835 books! | Top bar: Always visible