Our Town By Thornton Wilder by Thornton…

Our Town By Thornton Wilder (original 1938; edition 1975)

by Thornton Wilder

Member:artistlibrarian
Title:Our Town By Thornton Wilder
Authors:Thornton Wilder
Info:BARD PRINTING (1975), Paperback
Collections:young adult, plays, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:classics

Our Town by Thornton Wilder (1938)

Recently added byprivate library, biblio99, billharriss, Pennyreddick, akrnr, Rieaphrodite, mlight620
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg
    Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller (kxlly)
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Both (in vastly different tones) play with the awareness that the events are part of a play
    Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Especially the final graveyard scene.
    Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters (kxlly)
    All My Sons by Arthur Miller (joririchardson)

One of my all time favorite plays. First read and saw it in high school. Now I reread it in my sophomore year of college,this play gets better everytime it really makes you think about life . amazing character development ( )
  Emily_Madsen | Sep 23, 2018 |
Daily life, love and marriage, and death in a small New England town. This was a reread for me; I found it just as powerful as I remembered. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 18, 2016 |
This is my favorite play. It has a subtle sense of humor and I liked that. It's also really sad in places. I'm not sure I can give it a good enough review. It's simple, but political. I enjoyed the portrayal of the afterlife. Good stuff. ( )
  heart77 | Dec 13, 2016 |
This play holds a very special place in my heart, as I had the honor playing George Gibbs in my school's production and it had brought me to tears on multiple occasions. This show is notorious for being excruciatingly long, but I feel as though every second is worth the payoffs throughout the play. The subject is one commonly overlooked by many: Our lives, as we live them. Tackling many difficult subjects, this is a fantastic read regardless of age, gender, religion, or race.
  dbhatia | Nov 9, 2016 |
Life changing, very focused in its theme. It's just not much more than what it is, if that makes sense–even if it's one message is fairly profound. ( )
  chronoceros | Jul 15, 2016 |

Thornton Wilderprimary authorall editionscalculated
Margulies, DonaldForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Alexander Woollcott of Castleton Township, Rutland County, Vermont
This play is called "Our Town."
Emily: Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? - every, every minute?

Stage manager: No. (Pause) the saints and poets, maybe - they do some.

This short play seems simple at first, but is actually has a lot of depth to it. It is about the typical life in the small and quaint town of Grover's Courner, New Hampshire. The characters are very genuine. The main theme of the book asks what the purpose of life is; I think the message is to enjoy the life you have and to not waste it because it will be over before we know it. Don't take life for granted. Do something with your life. I loved reading this play because of its message and the particular way the play gets that message across.

Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize–winning drama of life in the town of Grover 's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.

It is now reissued in this handsome hardcover edition, featuring a new Foreword by Donald Margulies, who writes, "You are holding in your hands a great American play. Possibly the great American play." In addition, Tappan Wilder has written an eye-opening new Afterword, which includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:38 -0400)

This beautiful new edition features an eye-opening Afterword written by Tappan Wilder that includes Thornton Wilder's unpublished notes and other illuminating photographs and documentary material. Our Town was first produced and published in 1938 to wide acclaim. This Pulitzer Prize-winning drama of life in the small village of Grover's Corners, an allegorical representation of all life, has become a classic. It is Thornton Wilder's most renowned and most frequently performed play.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,259,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible