Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman:…

Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman: Adventures of a Curious Character as… (original 1985; edition 2014)

by Richard P Feynman (Author), Edward Hutchings (Editor)

Member:glwebb
Title:Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman: Adventures of a Curious Character as Told to Ralph Leighton
Authors:Richard P Feynman (Author)
Other authors:Edward Hutchings (Editor)
Info:Vintage Digital (2014), Edition: First Vintage edition, 356 pages
Tags:Ebook

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!: Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard Feynman (1985)

Recently added byprivate library, nvphan, whodis, SandraArdnas, creedencejam, lipi, riddy, aliashannibal, avvinci
Legacy LibrariesEdward St. John Gorey
    What Do You Care What Other People Think? by Richard P. Feynman (qball56k)
    qball56k: If you liked Surely You're Joking, you'll probably like the sequel as well. It's in many ways a more personal look at one of the most famous physicists of the 20th century.
    Absolute Zero Gravity: Science Jokes, Quotes and Anecdotes by Betsy Devine (Musecologist)
    Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman by James Gleick (SandraArdnas)
    Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain (noise)
    noise: Both Tony Bourdain and Richard Feynman have (had) an incredible knack for writing highly informative and page turning memoirs. If you've read one but not the other, you're in for a treat.

English (108)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (115)
Fun collection of stories about Feynman's life. I didn't really like the narrator's voice. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 12, 2018 |
Mr. Feynman was a curious character. Besides being a great physicist and lecturer, he was also a practical jokester, a ladies man, a musician, a polyglot, and mist of all, he possessed a childlike excitement for learning, a thirst for all knowledge.

The stories give insight into his way of thinking, his honesty, his curiosity, intolerance for stupidity and nonsense. Some of my favorite stories: the ingenious study of ants in his own apartment; the sad and hilarious story of how he got declared mentally unfit by an army psychologist; his adventures in biology; and the story of him becoming the member of a Brazilian samba band.

The writing is straightforward and easy, but my audiobook narrator, Ralph Leighton, had a very distracting habit of ending his sentences with an upward tone, thus making it sound sing-song-like, which I imagine is very much the opposite of what the no-nonsense Feynman intended. I perhaps would have enjoyed more reading it, but right now audio was what I could build into my schedule. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I read it in 1984 or '85, so it isn't fresh in my mind. However, I remember looking up to him as a role model but being aware that his lockpicking and topless bar hopping wouldn't be the best habits for me to emulate.

Still, good memories of this as well as the sequel published in the late 80s. ( )
  TheMagnificentKevin | Oct 12, 2018 |
Although there was a reasonable amount of overlap with the audiobook of some of Feynman's best short works that I listened to a few years ago, I really enjoyed it and it reminded me why I enjoyed the other audiobook so much. It was succinct, witty, and interesting, and certainly showed why he was such an interesting (and unusual) person. ( )
  TravbudJ | Sep 15, 2018 |
Feynman's autobiography was a bit too far on the stream-of-consciousness side for my tastes, but at least this way the reader gets a very direct feeling for what Feynman was like. Not always the best person, and with his share of faults and stupid/bad behaviour, but at the same time very engaging and open. Some parts dragged on, but most were interesting in at least some respect. An enjoyable read in the end. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |

Cox, BrianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hibbs, Albert R.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Klíma, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
van Ryn, AudeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
When I was about eleven or twelve I set up a lab in my house.
Richard P. Feynman, premio Nobel per la fisica nel 1965, è stato uno dei maggiori fisici teorici del XX secolo. La sua vita, lungi dal rimanere confinata entro i limiti dell’impegno strettamente scientifico, ci si presenta in questo libro come un’esplosiva miscela di eventi incredibili resi possibili da quell’impasto del tutto unico di acuta intelligenza, curiosità irrefrenabile, costante scetticismo e radicato umorismo che è stato l’uomo Feynman. È davvero straordinario poter ritrovare nella stessa persona un tal numero di esperienze diverse e talora contraddittorie.
Egli ha, di volta in volta, scassinato le più sicure casseforti di Los Alamos, dove si custodivano i segreti della bomba atomica, suonato la frigideira in una scuola di samba brasiliana, illustrato la fisica a “menti mostruose” come Einstein, von Neumann e Pauli, e lavorato come suonatore di bongo con una coreografa di successo, per tacere poi della sua attività di pittore, o di biologo, o di frequentatore di case da gioco. Per dare un’idea dell’unicità del personaggio, basta pensare che il futuro premio Nobel venne scartato dall’esercito americano perché “psichicamente deficiente”. Per anni le conversazione di Richard “Dick” Feynman con l’amico musicista Ralph Leighton sono state registrate e poi trascritte senza alterarne il tono confidenziale: un tributo a un grandissimo scienziato ma prima di tutto a un uomo per il quale la vita è davvero stata un instancabile susseguirsi di ricerca e scoperta.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0393316041, Paperback)

A series of anecdotes shouldn't by rights add up to an autobiography, but that's just one of the many pieces of received wisdom that Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman (1918-88) cheerfully ignores in his engagingly eccentric book, a bestseller ever since its initial publication in 1985. Fiercely independent (read the chapter entitled "Judging Books by Their Covers"), intolerant of stupidity even when it comes packaged as high intellectualism (check out "Is Electricity Fire?"), unafraid to offend (see "You Just Ask Them?"), Feynman informs by entertaining. It's possible to enjoy Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman simply as a bunch of hilarious yarns with the smart-alecky author as know-it-all hero. At some point, however, attentive readers realize that underneath all the merriment simmers a running commentary on what constitutes authentic knowledge: learning by understanding, not by rote; refusal to give up on seemingly insoluble problems; and total disrespect for fancy ideas that have no grounding in the real world. Feynman himself had all these qualities in spades, and they come through with vigor and verve in his no-bull prose. No wonder his students--and readers around the world--adored him. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:16 -0400)

In this phenomenal bestseller, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard P. Feynman recounts his adventures trading ideas on atomic physics with Einstein and Bohr and ideas on gambling with Nick the Greek, painting a naked female toreador, accompanying a ballet on his bongo drums--and much else of an eyebrow-raising and hilarious nature. Photos.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,611,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible