A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889)

by Mark Twain

9,671114561 (3.7)2 / 321
A blow on the head transports a Yankee to 528 A.D. where he proceeds to modernize King Arthur's kingdom by organizing a school system, constructing telephone lines, and inventing the printing press.
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Morteana)
    The Practice Effect by David Brin (espertus)
    espertus: A whimsical fast-moving fantasy about a modern scientist who is transported to a seemingly Earth-like feudal society.
    Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen by H. Beam Piper (DWWilkin)
    DWWilkin: One of the first time travel stories
    King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: These novels have some similar plot elements.

English (107)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hebrew (1)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (114)
Satire of the romantic view of the Middle Ages
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2021 |
Mark Twain is not well-known as a writer of science-fiction... even though he would one day guest star as a character in Star Trek The Next Generation. It's kind of an old trope these days of the protagonist traveling back in time with modern knowledge, but Mr. Clemens was quite likely the first to come up with it... or at least, one of the first. I've read the Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn, but they didn't appeal to me all that much. This one is my favorite Mark Twain story and hopefully will never be relegated to the scrap heap of literature by the new book-banning segment of Liberalism. ( )
  DaleAllenRaby | Mar 8, 2021 |
One of the few 19th century 'classics' that still holds up today. Sure, technology has advanced a lot since this was written, but the principles are much the same. Humorous and fun to read. ( )
  Karlstar | Jan 31, 2021 |
An 19th Century man travels back to Arthurian England of the 6th Century where he tries to bring them from a monarchy to a republic. He brings his knowledge and starts building a modern world.

It took me a while to get into the cadence and rhythm of Arthurian English. Once I do this becomes a rollicking good time. Watching The Boss deal with the superstitions of the time and trying to teach, which he eventually does with Arthur, was interesting. I enjoyed how he set up his own alternate society which he keeps secret from King Arthur and Merlin. But just like Camelot ends in war so does this story and The Boss loses everything he built.

This shows how a person is born in a time and a mind set and it is very difficult to change them, no matter how much life improves with the changes. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Jan 14, 2021 |
A Book About the Gilded Age*

I'm not sure how I'd feel about A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court if I had read it on my own, rather than for my 19th Century American Lit class. I'm sure I wouldn't have focused as much on Twain's commentary on his own time, cleverly masquerading as 6th century England. I'm sure I wouldn't have analyzed it in terms of Veblen's The Theory of the Leisure Class (our intro work for class). What I would most likely have done is seen it as rather a goofy story of a man who is hit over the head with a crowbar and finds himself at Camelot thirteen centuries prior to the blow. Hank, the Yankee of the title, thinks himself superior to all around him and spends a great deal of ink criticizing the monarchy/aristocracy (who are admittedly awful). He finds the peasants little better, too stupid to follow his economic discussions and too used to being shat upon by the aristocracy to believe they deserve better.

Over the course of the novel we meet all the familiar characters from the Arthurian legend. We even get to read several excerpts from Le Morte d'Arthur (free advice: watch the movie, any movie, skip the book unless you enjoy really bad writing). Hank tries to institute democracy in England and educate the ignorant peasantry. Twain remains true to the legend (spoiler: Arthur dies), although he adds his own whacky twist to it, including Hank's eccentric take on jousting.

This is definitely not Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn. It's written by an older, more cynical man than the author of those books. The man responsible for the term The Gilded Age. While it's an easy read, the plot and somewhat tiresome social commentary makes me say it's not all that good of one.

* - I've had to set my themed reading list aside for now, as I'm taking a couple literature classes this summer through a state program that provides free tuition for Texas residents over 55. This novel is assigned for my 19th Century American Literature class focused on the Gilded Age. ( )
  skavlanj | Nov 12, 2020 |
just remarks will close the examination straight away! What's more, will confine the advantages

Twain, Markprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Camelot—Camelot,” said I to myself. “I don’t seem to remember hearing of it before. Name of the asylum, likely.”
There never was such a country for wandering liars; and they were of both sexes.

Legacy Library: Mark Twain

Mark Twain has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Mark Twain's legacy profile.

See Mark Twain's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,055,605 books! | Top bar: Always visible