The Reign of James VI by Julian Goodare

The Reign of James VI (edition 2000)

by Julian Goodare (Editor)

811,753,521 (4)None
The reign of James VI (1567-1625) remains one of the most enigmatic in Scottish history. This text analyzes the royal court of the time, noble factionalism, relations with England, James VI's paymaster, and a revised model of the tension between church and state.
Member:BWBipps
Title:The Reign of James VI
Authors:Julian Goodare (Editor)
Info:Tuckwell Press, Ltd. (2000), 280 pages

The Reign of James VI by Julian Goodare

This would have been, perhaps is, standard reading fare at the university level. It is full of fine detail of the interactions between James, his nobles, and what became his government entities. It deals with the formation of bureaucracies, the ever changing shape of religion, and culture. I found this book especially interesting because even with in depth study about King James, it seemed always to be about his reign as an English king. We know that he ruled over a united kingdom, but I don't recall reading anything about him from a Scot's viewpoint after he left Scotland. I'm glad I read this because, for me, it filled in some gaps and explained how he developed from a child prince to a conscientious king (and then on to a king led astray.) ( )
  Twikpet | Mar 29, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,973,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible