Void Moon by Michael Connelly

Void Moon (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Michael Connelly

A novel on a casino robbery in Las Vegas carried out by a woman. She is Cassie Black, a professional thief who thought she was stealing a quarter million dollars. Instead, the loot turns out to be two million and the mob sends a killer after her.
Member:hanszwitzer
Title:Void Moon
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Orion paperback
Tags:Fiction, VN4

Void Moon by Michael Connelly (1999)

English (42)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)

This is not the best book by Michael Connelly but still a very good one. I can easily imagine making it into a movie.

I have a sweet spot for con artists of all sorts and I totally love heist stories. And heist is a big part of this book. Cassie is out of prison on her probation time living quite life. Then out of sudden everything changes and needs some serious amount of money. She agrees to take a job but nothing goes as it should.

I do really like Cassie, she is a complicated heroine. There is something deeply upsetting about her, she is some kind of a tragic heroine after all. I do really care about her and some part of would love to see her finding some happiness at least or even peace. It looks like she appears in some other book by Connelly, so maybe I will read it one day to meet Cassie again.

The plot is really good. However, I would like to spend more time with Cassie and less with Jack Spade. The plot is full of action and twists and the whole idea is really good, again worth a movie script.
  Sarielle | Jan 15, 2020 |
I read this novel as a stand-alone and as I read the first three pages I was intensely immersed in the love story of Cassie and Max and immersed in the details of the ritual between them. I had never heard of a Void Moon so I was quite intrigued by the title, wondering what a Void Moon is and if it fit into the ritual and/or what other meaning would be revealed.

I was mesmerized by Cassie's planning and so wanted her to achieve the dream of going "to the place where the desert is ocean."

I'm so glad I had luxurious hours of reading available as I didn't want to put the book down sometimes reading pages as quickly as possible and sometimes reading slowly so I could assimilate the meticulous actions by Cassie in the penthouse of a casino hotel room. WoW!

I'll remember Cassie Black. Hope you take the time to read about her too! But, perhaps this is a novel to read at home or on the beach and not in a hotel room. ( )
  FerneMysteryReader | Nov 9, 2019 |
Unlikeable characters and surprisingly stodgy prose from the ordinarily excellent Connelly. ( )
  DrJohnD | Aug 1, 2018 |
The plot was quite good, but so very much of the book was the details of how to commit various crimes and I found it tedious. The main bad guy, psychopath, was hard to read about with a lot of detail about killings and his gruesome thoughts. It was not so much that it was over-the-top gruesome, but just that it moved so slowly without actually doing much for the story. The book held my interest enough, primarily with liking the main character and hoping for a good resolution, so that I completed it. The audio rendition was very good which helped. I'll have to give it "I liked it" even though there was so much of it that I did not like. ( )
  ajlewis2 | Jul 11, 2018 |
One of my favourite films is Charley Varrick, directed in 1973 by Don Siegel and starring Walter Matthau, in which the title character and three associates mount a raid on a bank in a small New Mexico town. They think that they have planned the escapade well, down to every last detail, and expect to net around $20,000. Unfortunately, the raid does not go smoothly, and two of the gang, including Charley Varrick’s wife, are killed. Charley and the final member of the gang, the hapless Harmon, manage to escape and hole up in a trailer park a few miles away. When they finally get around to counting the swag, they find that they have actually got away with over $750,000. They are even more perplexed when the bulletins on local television put the sum stolen at around $18,000. Harmon is overjoyed but Charley is immediately concerned, suspecting that they have inadvertently stumbled upon a Mafia laundering operation. This proves to be the case, and the paid find themselves hunted down by a contract killer, sent not just to recover the money but also to lay down a lesson to deter anyone else from following suit in the future.

This novel has many similarities. Cassie Black is working for a Porsche dealership in LA, having been released from prison on parole. She had been inside for her part in a series of audacious burglaries in Las Vegas in which she and her late partner Max had identified successful high stakes gamblers at the large casinos and then broken into their hotel rooms to steal their winnings. Now she is out and trying to go straight, but still dreaming of one last big job that could set her up for life. Max’s half-brother Leo contacts her, thinking that he may have just such a job for her. Cassie havers but takes the job on, only to find herself in the same position as Charley Varrick, having netted a huge amount more than anticipated, and worrying to whom it really belongs.

This was the first of Michael Connelly’s books to feature a female protagonist and also the first in which the central character is a criminal rather than working for law enforcement. It is written with his customary tautness – just as gripping as ever, with a fine attention to detail that stops short of being intrusive or tedious. Cassie Black is an engaging and immensely plausible character. Like all of Connelly’s characters, she has her flaws, too, which simply lends to the credibility of the story.

Very entertaining, and immediately gripping. ( )
  Eyejaybee | May 27, 2018 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Montanari, GianniTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Linda,
for the first fifteen
All around them the cacophony of greed carried on in its most glorious and extreme excess.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,316,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible