Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

A Wind in the Door (1973)

by Madeleine L'Engle

Series: The Time Quintet (2)

I did like it, but not quite as well as A Wrinkle in Time. It would have been 3 1/2 stars really. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Meg is annoying, and Charles and I barely know each other so I can't worry over him. Progo's and Meg's relationship is bewildering, Calvin is just there, and parts of the books are contradictory. Nonetheless, I'm interested. The characters aren't what's important this time, but the story, and I can't wait to find out what happens.
  marcosburlybiceps | Mar 22, 2019 |
It took awhile for me to warm to this book, but in the end I liked it better than 'A Wrinkle in Time'. Why? I liked that L'Engle was writing more in the open about science, and about faith, and the hocus-pocus that comes about when you put the two together. I mean that in the best way possible. It worked for the story, and for Meg, who really shines here.

Meg is a girl who was portrayed as troubled and a little at odds with the world outside of her family. Only by comparison with Charles Wallace does she seem able to get along at all. This book being about Charles Wallace's struggle to adapt was fitting.

I was on the fence about reading more of these - I never did as a kid - but now I'm confidant that I'll keep going.

Time Quintet

Next: 'A Swiftly Tilting Planet'

Previous: 'A Wrinkle in Time' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 23, 2019 |
Despite my disappointing experience of re-reading A Wrinkle in Time some years back, I decided to press on and give the second one a go. I am simply driven to unearth these buried nuggets of my developmental years, for better or for worse.

In this volume, six year-old genius Charles Wallace has fallen ill, and his mother thinks it is something to do with his mitochondria. Unfortunately, her work in the area is theoretical and making any more progress has been difficult. Fortunately, some powerful individuals have arrived who need assistance with a cosmic conundrum that may be somehow tied to Charles Wallace's problem.

The first half or so of this book, once you're able to tolerate the annoying Murry children, is quite good. It's even kind of spooky; things lurking in the garden, shadowy entities blotting out the stars. There's a wonderfully surreal scene where Meg has to puzzle out who is the real school principal among a trio of duplicates. Once the protagonists make their fantastic voyage into Charles Wallace's mitochondria, however, the story becomes a crazy head trip, filled with anthropomorphic, talking cell components and lots of ♥l♥o♥v♥e♥. And lots and lots of repetitive, circular conversation. As in the first book, love conquers all and while this is a nice sentiment for children, I don't think it will be satisfying to anyone who has been around the block a couple of times. (It's just occurred to me that the story could be interpreted as a treatise on faith healing; but with L'Engle being a lover of science I doubt that was intended.)

Still, I've got to give credit to the author for not talking down to the kids she's writing for. There are a lot of big ideas in this, both scientific and philosophical, and her vocabulary is nothing to sneeze at either. The only other children's author I can think of that writes on this level is Philip Pullman. There's a short but nice introduction to this edition where she instructs her readers to never stop asking questions. The sense of wonder is there, and I think that at the intended age group that is what is important. I should also mention that I loved, loved, loved all three of the books in what was then a trilogy when I read them originally (around age 10-12), so if you're getting this for a child you can probably disregard my review as I am much older than that now. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
A re-read as an adult. This was a little better than OK, but not as good as the first in the series. The themes of love and dependence (on family, community, environment, etc.) are important ones, but seem to get drowned out in the fantasy elements. I think this story would be challenging for the age group it is intended. ( )
  MarysGirl | Dec 18, 2018 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What, nephew,"said the king, "is the wind in that door?" -- Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d'Arthur
For Pat
"There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440487617, Paperback)

"There are dragons in the twins' vegetable garden," announces six-year-old Charles Wallace Murry in the opening sentence of The Wind in the Door. His older sister, Meg, doubts it. She figures he's seen something strange, but dragons--a "dollop of dragons," a "drove of dragons," even a "drive of dragons"--seem highly unlikely. As it turns out, Charles Wallace is right about the dragons--though the sea of eyes (merry eyes, wise eyes, ferocious eyes, kitten eyes, dragon eyes, opening and closing) and wings (in constant motion) is actually a benevolent cherubim (of a singularly plural sort) named Proginoskes who has come to help save Charles Wallace from a serious illness.

In her usual masterful way, Madeleine L'Engle jumps seamlessly from a child's world of liverwurst and cream cheese sandwiches to deeply sinister, cosmic battles between good and evil. Children will revel in the delectably chilling details--including hideous scenes in which a school principal named Mr. Jenkins is impersonated by the Echthroi (the evil forces that tear skies, snuff out light, and darken planets). When it becomes clear that the Echthroi are putting Charles Wallace in danger, the only logical course of action is for Meg and her dear friend Calvin O'Keefe to become small enough to go inside Charles Wallace's body--into one of his mitochondria--to see what's going wrong with his farandolae. In an illuminating flash on the interconnectedness of all things and the relativity of size, we realize that the tiniest problem can have mammoth, even intergalactic ramifications. Can this intrepid group voyage through time and space and muster all their strength of character to save Charles Wallace? It's an exhilarating, enlightening, suspenseful journey that no child should miss.

The other books of the Time quartet, continuing the adventures of the Murry family, are A Wrinkle in Time; A Swiftly Tilting Planet, which won the American Book Award; and Many Waters. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:04 -0400)

With Meg Murry's help, the dragons her six-year-old brother saw in the vegetable garden play an important part in his struggle between life and death.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,466,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible