A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)

A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)

Series: The Time Quintet (2), Kairos (2)

With Meg Murry's help, the dragons her six-year-old brother saw in the vegetable garden play an important part in his struggle between life and death.
Member:KLHtet
Title:A Wind in the Door (Time Quintet, #2)
Authors:
Info:Publisher Unknown, 203 pages
Rating:**

Work Information

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Finding that I liked the first book in the series, I decided to pick up the second. A Wind in the Door picks up some time after the completion of the first book and starts with the precocious young Charles Wallace reporting to his older sister that there are dragons in their twin brother's vegetable garden.

This second book is filled with the same mix of fantasy and science, fable, and religious references as the first. But it is a darker tale than the first book, and as such, is not really as suitable for a younger audience as its predecessor. Charles Wallace is ill, and in fact as the story develops it becomes clearer that his life is in real danger. It falls to Meg, Calvin, and the unlikeable principal of their grade school Mr Jenkins, to work through another adventurous battle between good and evil so that they can not only save poor Charles Wallace but also right the balance of the universe.

This adventure is structured as a series of lessons as laid out in an education from an unlikely creature who it turns out isn't a dragon but rather a cherubim. Yes, there are lessons to be learned and they can only be learned through journeying deep into Charles Wallace's cells to turn back the evil Echthros that threaten his life.

If the world and the epic journey of A Wrinkle in Time seem timeless and the main parable of the story broadly applicable, the same can't be said for A Wind in the Door. The references to the work of the Murry children's father seem to tie the story to the 1970s, and in fact the book was published in 1973. And the theme of the book - the cosmic struggle between good and evil - is tied to the acts of naming and counting, to allow things to be, just as God is said to have numbered every hair on our heads, and to be aware of the fate of even the lowly sparrows. Thus the book is more closely tied to a Christian understanding, and L'Engle's own religious beliefs, than was the first book.

Perhaps it's because of that that this story comes across as a bit too preachy to me. Also, structuring the story as a set of lessons didn't really seem to spring out of the story itself but rather seemed a writerly crutch. Altogether I wasn't as taken with this book as I was with A Wrinkle in Time. So for that reason I give A Wind in the Door Three Stars ⭐⭐⭐. ( )
  stevesbookstuff | Nov 2, 2021 |
A wind in the door could be renamed Saving Charles Wallace. Charles the younger and eccentric brother of Meg is ill. Like all things in this series the illness has deeper implications on a spiritual level. Meg, Calvin O'Keefe a friend of Meg's and Mr Jenkins are transported into Charles Wallace's body by aliens being who could also be angels. The angels inform the trio they are on a quest to cure Charles Wallace's disease on a biological and spiritual level. Charles an individual is the locus of a greater spiritual war being engaged on the Earth. In the process of fighting evil, the team learns about themselves and the power of love and acceptance over the forces of evil.This is a continuation of L'Engle's attempt to mix science fiction and Christianity. In books of this type their effective ness relies on the clarity of the language. I felt that L'Engle was was not effective in her attempt to communicate Christian concepts. The message of good versus evil is clear. But effect made me think of Eastern philosphy and concepts. The scientific terms she interspeces in the dialog does not add clarity to the story. Beyond these weaknesses the L"Engle's story is entertaining . Her characters are compelling. I cared what happened to Charles Wallace. L'Engle makes a good case for the victory of good over evil and the need to be willing to sacrifice one's existence in this never-ending struggle.. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Oct 24, 2021 |
This is one of those books I loved as a kid, but now as an adult, I get it a lot more, and consequently love it more. With ideas like seeking something to love about a person you’ve hated for years, choosing to accept a challenge that frightens you and you haven’t the least idea of how to even begin, and voluntarily opening yourself up to pain and anguish for the sake of one that you love, this might not be a story for the faint of heart. But it’s one of those books that speaks of bigger things than just what’s happening on the pages, and I’m admittedly a sucker for that type of book. ( )
  Annrosenzweig | Oct 15, 2021 |
Meg Murray back once again draws us into her wonderful trilogy. Fascinating sci-fi concepts with great characters to carry on the great story line. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Retains a lot of that A Wrinkle in Time charm, but its style of weirdness has turned a bit more towards confusing than exciting. ( )
  misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |

Madeleine L'Engleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, DianeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ehle, JenniferNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lee, Jody A.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linden, Vincent van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sis, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
“What, nephew,” said the king, “is the wind in that door?” — Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d’Arthur
For Pat
“There are dragons in the twins’ vegetable garden.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,413,568 books! | Top bar: Always visible