Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World…

Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World (Signet Classics) (original 1954; edition 2010)

by Louis Fischer (Author)

Member:CorrenaNess
Title:Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World (Signet Classics)
Authors:Louis Fischer (Author)
Info:Signet (2010), Edition: Reprint, 222 pages

Gandhi: His Life and Message for the World by Louis Fischer (1954)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
This biography of Gandhi is quite good showing the personality of Gandhi, which is not known to people generally. You enjoy reading this book and also learn history of his time. ( )
  Awdhesh | Oct 8, 2014 |
I hate to say this, but I felt that this book made parts of Ghandi's life forgettable. The author glossed over many important things that happened to that great man. Don't get me wrong, it was well written and good for anyone looking for just a basic knowledge of the man. ( )
  kdtaylor27 | Jul 12, 2014 |
Gandhi was preeminent political and ideological leader durring Indian Indipendence movement.
He resisted to tyranny but he had never use force.
In India he called [father].
I really recepect him.
I want everyone to know his achievements,
  sonobe | Jul 11, 2011 |
Three reviews from amazon.com…

(1) Cipriano - www.bookpuddle.blogspot.com

The perfect introduction. This is the perfect book for someone who wants to learn the essentials about the life and work of Mahatma Gandhi without having to wade through some of the larger books that have been written. This one is under 200 pages, and is laid out in three easy to read sections (From Birth To Greatness - Gandhi In India - Victory and Tragedy). Fischer does not bog down into political minutiae, post-assassination trial stuff, or hair-splitting Gandhi-isms (on this latter point for instance, Gandhi's own autobiography devotes four consecutive chapters to his internal agony over whether or not to include goat's milk in his vegetarian diet)! Fischer's book is more of an OVERVIEW of the profound world-shaking life that was Gandhi. Yet it is immensely informative, and well-paced. The author personally met with Gandhi in 1942 and again in '46, and his book shows that he had a wonderful understanding of the Mahatma's faith and convictions. Those who want to know more about Gandhi should, however, go on to read the autobiography (subtitled "The Story of My Experiments With Truth") and also Yogesh Chadha's "Gandhi: A Life".

The book ends abruptly with the three shots, the smile fading from Gandhi's face, and his final words on earth "Oh God."

"His legacy is courage, his lesson truth, his weapon love. His life is his monument. He now belongs to mankind."

We turn the page, and hope that something is there... but it isn't. The world since, has not seen anyone like Gandhi”.

(2) R. Davis:

“This is one of the best biographies I've ever read, in part because of the enormous charisma of the subject and in equal part because of the obvious respect and affection with which he is treated by his biographer, Louis Fischer. Gandhi's life and message can be a life-changing experience for one willing to think about his search for Truth, and his unwillingness to compromise even in the face of seemingly insurmountable opposition.

When I decided to read up on Gandhi's life, I was confronted with many, many volumes. I didn't know which to choose, so I bought several, in hopes that at least one would be a good choice. I needn't have worried. This particular volume is small and thin, and I selected it in part because of its size - a thicker volume on a man I knew nothing about would have been too intimidating for a first exposure. What a wonderful surprise! Fischer's story of Gandhi's life was engaging from the first few paragraphs and riveting through Gandhi's last utterance.

Fischer does not analyze very much - this is not a history of Gandhi's influence on India and the wider world; rather, it is the personal story of a man who touched lives. Mohandas Gandhi is presented in the context of his world rather than Gandhi's world being presented in the context of him. To me, that creates a more approachable man, one whose life can be emulated, not just revered. This is a must-read with the potential to become a must-do, or at least a must-think. Highly recommended”.

(3) Steven D. Crain:

“Written by a foreign correspondent and author of many books on world affairs, this book is the best place to begin understanding the life of Gandhi. I used it to supplement the Oscar-winning film and found that the two complemented each other very well. It is a short book. In a matter of hours the reader will not only be introduced to the events of Gandhi's life and of the Indian independence movement, but she will also get inside the man. Fischer carefully considers Gandhi's religious convictions and experiences and thereby tries to explain Gandhi's incredible moral authority, both during his lifetime, and beyond. If you wonder why so many people consider Gandhi the most influential human being of the 20th century, read this book. And then be prepared to reexamine your own life. What do I value? Why? What is my purpose in life? What does it mean to be a just, compassionate, and merciful human being? Is a violent response to evil ever justifiable? Reading this inexpensive, 200-page paperback will pay rich dividends”.

About the Author:

Louis Fischer, who first visited Gandhi in 1942 and 1946, was an outstanding foreign correspondent and analyst of world affairs and the author of a number of books.
  Saraswati_Library | Apr 8, 2010 |

Louis Fischerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Moerland, BramTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Verhulst, CarolusForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By the holy waters of the Jumna, near New Delhi, almost a million people waited in the sun for the funeral procession to reach the cremation grounds.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451627423, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the extraordinary story of how one man's indomitable spirit inspired a nation to triumph over tyranny. This is the story of Mahatma Gandhi, a man who owned nothing-and gained everything.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:35 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,839,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible