Crewel Yule by Monica Ferris

Crewel Yule (2014)

by Monica Ferris

Snow is not the only thing falling this December-spirits are, too. That's because this year's needlework convention in Nashville is tragically interrupted when Milwaukee shop owner Belle Hammermill tumbles nine stories to her untimely death. At first, Betsy Devonshire thinks the fall was just an unfortunate accident. The trouble is, Belle's unsavory reputation causes suspicions to flare. She has plenty of enemies with more than enough motive. Leave it to Betsy and the other knitting hands to unravel the clues that will put the killer to rest for a long winter's night.… (more)

Not my favorite in the series. My main complaint was the style that the book was written in. Every chapter was from a different characters point of view. And the chapters jumped back and forth in time. Each chapter header told the date and time the chapter took place, but I didn't want to have to study that information and try to figure out where it fell in the story timeline. I like stories that have a linear time line. Also, I didn't like who the murderer turned out to be.

What I did love about the book was the setting. In a grand hotel, at a cross stitch convention, in the middle of a snow storm. That was great. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Love the set up of this one.

At the beginning of the story you already know the suspects' motives (before Betsy or Jill) and still you are left guessing till the end. It's also a closed room murder as well so if you like those, this one is for you! ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
The Nashville Needlework Show is usually scheduled for he winter however, a schedule snafu has it moved up to before the holidays. Betsy and Goddy are in attendance when a presenter takes a header from a 9th floor railing and as usually Betsy gets involved in the investigation since the hotel is snowed in and only she and her police friend are around to sort out the mystery.

The usual fun of a Needlecraft mystery ( )
  cyderry | Jun 13, 2017 |
I enjoyed this cozy mystery. I met this author at the Nashville Needlework Show which was the setting of the story. The cast of characters included a few of my favorite stitching designers/shop owners which made the story more fun to read. The story went back and forth in time from each main character's perspective. It was confusing at first, but I adjusted to it very quickly. It was definitely a quick, fun read. ( )
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
So glad I picked up more from this series. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Dec 14, 2014 |
Godwin, a slender, handsome young man in jeans and white cotton sweater, sipped his tea and looked around the atrium with happy interest.

from back cover:

Part-time sleuth and full-time owner of the needlework shop Crewel World, Betsy Devonshire likes to have a hand in anything crafty-from knitting to solving crime. In this latest yarn in the bestselling series, Betsy prepares for a chilling holiday season filled with mistletoe--and murder.

Snow is not the only thing falling this December... spirits are too. That's because this year's needlework convention in Nashville is tragically interrupted when Milwaukee shop owner Belle Hammermill tumbles nine stories to her untimely death. At first, Betsy Devonshire thinks the fall was just an unfortunate accident. But Belle's unsavoury reputation as a seductress, thief, and jealous friend causes suspicions to flare. She had plenty of enemies with more than enough motive. In fact, three of her alleged victims were at the convention, all with anger in their hearts and vengeance on their minds...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,820,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible