The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I by Roger…

The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I (edition 1979)

by Roger Zelazny

Series: First Chronicles of Amber (1 & 2), Chronicles of Amber (Omnibus 1-2)

Member:acb13adm
Title:The Chronicles of Amber: Volume I
Authors:Roger Zelazny
Info:Nelson Doubleday, Hardcover, 338 pages

Work Information

The Chronicles of Amber, Volume I: Nine Princes in Amber, The Guns of Avalon by Roger Zelazny

Recently added byprivate library, moorho01, Joy1813, joe.basile.5, lrmsf, Fiddleback_, Tanimm, rcarp55, Stephaniejleduc

I read the first volume of the Amber series many years ago. Liked it well enough, but not as much as some other Zelazny novels, notably Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness.

Having now read through books one and two of the saga, I find my original impressions still stand.

The first few chapters of Nine Princes in Amber are fantastic, a tour-de-force of sustained irony and tension as the protagonist wakes up in a hospital with no memory and bluffs, connives, and forces his way through one dangerous encounter after another. This is also a brilliant narrative device for introducing the reader to the fictional world, as we learn the amazing facts of this world along with the point-of-view character.

And the world is impressive: a Universe of realities, all reflections of the central Realm of Amber, of which our hero is a prince. One prince of many in a large, dysfunctional dynastic family full of rivalries, hatreds and betrayals. Plenty of room for drama and adventure, and Zelazny gives the world just enough scaffolding to support his narrative as it dances and cartwheels along. So don't look too deep or ask too many questions.

This is fun, ironic fantasy. Nothing profound, but enough to make me want to read the last three novels. Just not yet.

JackMassa | Jan 24, 2019 |
Undeniably a great series with imaginative story line, action drama, surprise turns and growing self understanding of Corwin. But drags in parts and maybe indulges in a bit too much self-introspection and self-dialogue. Ganelon development is a bit too predictable. Some great scenes including the battle with Lord Borel at the Courts of Chaos and the initial hospital scene. ( )
  drsabs | Jun 30, 2017 |
I first read these books when young; they have not lost their magic.

Roger Zelazny pulls you completely into the amazing Amber universe where there are infinite shadow worlds of the one true world - Amber.

Unreliable narrator, political intrigue, unique fantasy setting, terrific first person writing, leads you to read until the wee hours of the night despite the fact you have work the next day.

What's not to love......

1 vote bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
Corwin wakes up in the clutches of someone claiming to be his sister. He has no memories but knows he must bluff his way into freedom. A few audacious con-man moves later, he is travelling between alternate worlds, alternately fleeing, fighting and helping his numerous siblings. They are the nobility of Amber, and the victor will rule them all--and all of reality. Corwin is a golden age hero, complete with bravado and silly gender issues, but his adventures are a lot of fun to read ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Great book, but it takes time to appreciate its magic. ( )
  RamzArtso | Sep 15, 2013 |
This is an omnibus edition of Nine Princes in Amber and The Guns of Avalon. Please do not combine it with either individual book.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,651,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible