An Acceptable Time (A Wrinkle in Time…

An Acceptable Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet) (original 1989; edition 2007)

by Madeleine L'Engle (Author)

Series: O'Keefe Family (4), The Time Quintet (5), Kairos (8)

Polly's visit to her grandparents in Connecticut becomes an extraordinary experience as she encounters old friends and mysterious stangers and finds herself traveling back in time to play a crucial role in a prehistoric confrontation.
Member:firstpres
Title:An Acceptable Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet)
Authors:Madeleine L'Engle (Author)
Info:Square Fish (2007), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Tags:Fiction YA

An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle (1989)

I liked this a lot more than I liked the last two. Partly because I like Polly, enough to want to read the other books she’s in, and partly because Polly had a more active role in the time shenanigans than her uncles had in their books. This felt like a better balance of what L’Engle was trying to do in A Swiftly Tilting Planet and Many Waters. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
A story about time travel, the mysterious cosmic power of love, and sacrifice. It both fits and doesn't fit into the Time books, and L'Engle includes threads of her other series in there. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
This book was just okay. Maybe I'm a bit meh about Christian fantasy/sf in general, or specifically, but I did enjoy the moments of particle physics and the apologia for all things Jesus. (Sure, time travel is fine because even though you're going back a thousand years before the time of Christ, his spirit is eternal, etc., etc.)

MAYBE I would have liked this a lot more if it hadn't been super-primitive societies performing ritual sacrifice and we're supposed to go back and civilize the bastards. Or something like that.

Hmmm. Well, I do like certain ASPECTS of this. Like any time period that is ours. That's pretty cool. But when what should have been the cool bit, like TIME TRAVEL, something between my shoulder-blades started itching and I just wanted to be through this. I'm afraid that it didn't age all that well.

Which is a shame, because I used to love the rough-and-tumble mix of science and religion in the previous books.

I think it is a case of, "I've changed, you haven't. Sorry, L'Engle." ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
In the beginning I wasn't very excited, it felt like it was going to be much like book three in the series, my least favorite. But, in the end, I think this one was my favorite of the five. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |

Yoo, TaeeunCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Dana, Ber & Eddie
Ron, Annie & Jake
She walked through an orchard, fallen apples red and cidery on the ground, crossed a stone wall, and wandered on into a small wood.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,204,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible