Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher. Ein Roman…

Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher. Ein Roman aus Zamonien von Hildegunst… (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Walter Moers

Optimus Yarnspinner travels to Bookholm on a quest to find the anonymous author of a manuscript that he inherited from his godfather, and during his journey he encounters many strange inhabitants of the so-called City of Dreaming Books.
Member:Jisi
Title:Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher. Ein Roman aus Zamonien von Hildegunst von Mythenmetz
Authors:Walter Moers
Info:Piper Verlag GmbH (2004), Gebundene Ausgabe, 455 pages
Rating:*****

The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (Author) (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, Maximilian_98, emma507, KathrynEastman, SandraBrower, firewhenede
    The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde (bell7)
    bell7: Similarly a zany tale with literary references and footnotes.
    The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers (emdot)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (ShelfMonkey)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (Leishai)
    Thursday Next: First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde (ljbwell)
    ljbwell: Funny, fantasy/alternative celebrations of books and writers and the magical worlds they create.
    The Book on Fire by Keith Miller (infiniteletters)
    Lycidas by Christoph Marzi (Leishai)

English (57)  German (16)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (2)  Italian (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
It has a [b:The Neverending Story|27712|The Neverending Story|Michael Ende|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1327871159s/27712.jpg|1122661] / [b:Inkheart|28194|Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)|Cornelia Funke|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328866790s/28194.jpg|2628323] German fantasy about books thing going on, which usually I love. One of my 8th graders adores Walter Moers so hard he brought his own copies to pitch to his classmates at my summer reading table last year. But I couldn't get into it. It's quirky for the sake of quirky; it was all worldbuilding, with no characters for me to latch onto.
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
Optimus Yarnspinner embarks on a great adventure to find the anonymous author of the "most magnificent piece of writing in the whole of Zamonian literature." He travels to the legendary City of Dreaming Books and ends up in the catacombs after encountering a not so helpful literary scholar. He has to find his way back up thorough the living myths and truly bizarre inhabitants. Will he make it out alive?
Moers creates a magical world where books can literally entertain or kill a reader. Publisher's Weekly says it is "a delightfully imaginative mélange of Shel Silverstein zaniness and oddball anthropomorphism à la Terry Pratchett’s Discworld."
Walter Moers is a German author and cartoonist, and as with all his books, he provides truly imaginative sketches to accompany us on our journey with Optimus Yarnspinner
  jmede555 | Jul 15, 2019 |
A book for writers and readers if there ever was on. It was absolutely nothing like what I thought, it was better. I gave it four stars because I want to find my own copy and reread it. I feel sure it'll get the 5th star upon rereading. I need more time to slow down and enjoy it. It started to seem very juvenile but then I got caught up in the story and I was the juvenile and I couldn't wait to turn the pages. ( )
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
  ISCCSandy | Apr 9, 2019 |
Cute, whimsical, young dinosaur with authorial aspirations goes to the city of publishing and antiquarian bookshops, there's a dark underbelly of the city in which old editions are being destroyed by time, damp, Amontillado-minded hoarders, and armored Indiana-Jones-wannabes, the whole place reeks of mold aboveground and below, there's a sinister holdover society of post-alchemists who have a tasteless version of a golem in their highly nonlinear history, and petulant dinos hurling rare editions around in a bookshop is something unattractive female antiquarian specialists can't do anything about. Also critics live in hovels, agents are disposable idiots with no discernment for anything other than pastries, and publishers are embittered crooks. Conflagrations in which creations destroy creators as well as vast libraries and entire civilizations are sufficiently answered by the inspiration of a solitary trope-pumper and the threat of more books in a series. If you love books and would like to read a magical bibliophilia tale, feel free to contact me for a list of several thousand stories in which at least one of the characters actually shares your sentiments. This novel isn't on it. ( )
  Nialle | Sep 12, 2018 |

Moers, WalterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brownjohn, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sáenz, MiguelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where shadows dim with shadows mate in caverns deep and dark, where old books dream of bygone days when they were wood and bark, where diamonds from coal are born and no birds ever sing, that region is the dread domain ruled by the Shadow King.
This is where my story begins.
Van de sterren komen we, Naar de sterren komen we terug. - Het leven is slechts een reis in de vreemde. "

From the stars we come, To the stars we 'll come back. Life is just a journey outside/ to the unknown. "

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,622,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible