Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Seven-Day Magic (1962)

by Edward Eager

Series: Magic Books Reading Order (7)

A seven-day book of magic proves to be fractious for five children, who must learn the book's rules and tame its magic.
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: Kids discover very interesting books in the library
    The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley (HollyMS)

Not my favorite. But fun. I wonder if he meant this one to be the end... ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Edward Eager's books were stories I loved as a child and having re-read them as an adult I still quite enjoy them. The stories and characters hold up to the test of time. These books are clever and intriguing and the characters are very endearing. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Be careful what you wish for! (especially if you are in possession of a magical book) This lesson is learned by five friends -- siblings John and Susan, who live with their eccentric granny, and their across-the-street neighbors Barnaby, Abigail (Abbie), and Fredericka -- when Susan checks an intriguing seven-day book out of the local library. Delightful adventures ensue, as each of the children takes a turn at wishing on the book's magical powers. The episodes are, for the most part, anchored in other books (or book genres), and the story is told with great wit and humor. I thoroughly enjoyed this children's book! ( )
  David_of_PA | Jul 14, 2018 |
In SEVEN-DAY MAGIC, five children - siblings John and Susan, and siblings Barnaby, Abbie, and Fredericka - check out a book from the library that contains a story about their morning; the rest of the book is theirs to fill by wishing for adventure. They take turns, one each day, learning the limits of the magic.

Quotes

And when a dragon feels small, it is. (45)

"I guess that's the way with wizards...They let the witches do the work and then take the credit. It's the same way in stories." (Barnaby, 49)

"Everybody has to go to...any...magic country...in his own way. The adventures that are written down in books have already been. If we tried to horn in on them, we'd just be tagging along. So we have to make our own adventures. It's as if there were different doors." (Barnaby, 53)

...when best friends fall out, it is usually worse than any other quarrel. All their regard for each other seems to sour and turn to spite and meanness. And the hurts that friends can do each other cut deeper and take longer to heal. (162)

On every hand were what looked like thousands of books, ranged on shelves, stacks and stacks of them.
"Think of all those that we haven't read yet!" said Abbie.
"Maybe some of them have magic inside, too!" said Fredericka.
"All of them, I should think," said Barnaby, "one way or another." (188) ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 11, 2016 |

Edward Eagerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bodecker, N.M.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann Drakeley,
when she isn't quite so new,
and Peter Saxon,
if he hasn't grown too old
"The best kind of book," said Barnaby, "is a magic book."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,317,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible