The King's English, Adventures of an…

The King's English, Adventures of an Independent Bookseller (edition 2005)

by Betsy Burton

Member:IndyLibrarian
Title:The King's English, Adventures of an Independent Bookseller
Authors:Betsy Burton
Info:Gibbs Smith, Publisher (2005), Hardcover
Tags:Books about Books, Read in 2006

The King's English by Betsy Burton

Charming and enthusiastically written memoir of the The King's English bookstore of Salt Lake City, Utah. Betsy Burton gives us a glimpse into the life of an independent bookstore owner through her amusing anecdotes, painful life lessons, and moments with known and little known authors. Her passion for books and the people she serves are clear through her words. She writes so vividly of her partners, employees, book reps, authors, customers, and the many experiences with them. Bookselling drove her life, and you can understand why by reading this book. ( )
  trile1000 | Jul 1, 2018 |
This book is about Betsy Burton's journey in opening and maintaining a little Indie book shop in Salt Lake City, Utah. My love of books and reading lead me to read all books about "books" and "reading". Betsy wrote such a lively and hopeful story about a book store that is well-loved by its customers and authors alike. Her passion for literature radiated throughout the story. The great pleasure I got from reading this book lead me to hunt down and read every single other book about book stores and book selling. ( )
  lovestampmom | Aug 8, 2013 |
I found this a very enjoyable read, and as an initiation into the world of bookstores, managed to be both informative and entertaining. The author's did not gloss over the difficulty of running a bookstore, which funnily enough made me want to have my own bookstore all the more. ( )
  EustaciaTan | Oct 10, 2011 |
FABULOUS book about the independent book biz. So wish I worked for independent, but, alas, I do not. Great info on business. Fun tidbits about authors and their books. For anyone who is in the book biz, independent or big box, this is a must read. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Mar 31, 2011 |
Delightful book for the most part! She lost me in the poetry section but that's not her fault! It's filled with interesting stories and authors and her experiences as a bookseller and reader, plus this book has so many lists to pore over as if I need help buying more books....totally recommend it!!! ( )
  Harrod | Mar 3, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible