Bridget Jones: het nieuwe dagboek by Helen…

Bridget Jones: het nieuwe dagboek (original 1999; edition 2001)

by Helen Fielding

Picking up where her blockbuster bestselling Bridget Jones's Diary left off, the Edge of Reason finds Bridget in an up and down relationship with Mark Darcy. It's four weeks later, and already the honeymoon is over: the man of her dreams votes conservative and folds his clothes at night, making Bridget feel pressured to do so as well. But all of these problems pale in comparison to Rebecca, a beautiful, man-hunting arch-nemesis without a girlfriend code of ethics when it comes to stealing another woman's man. As always, Bridget's best Singleton friends Jude and Shaz are there to give her advice from the pages of Getting the Love You Want and Keeping the Love You Find with some unexpected results.… (more)
Member:royalhistorian
Title:Bridget Jones: het nieuwe dagboek
Authors:Helen Fielding
Info:Promotheus
Tags:Fictie, Chick-lit, Verfilmd

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding (1999)

Recently added byRitaluc, joyhclark, awesome1jg, olga87, hunyum, rena75, private library, ariesoul
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (spygirl)
    spygirl: Helen Fielding's first novel Bridget Jones's Diary was a remake of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. The sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason is a remake of Austen's Persuasion.
    Stately Pursuits by Katie Fforde (ashleylauren)
    Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro (ashleylauren)

English (95)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (101)
Bridget Jones will always be funny, but this one almost felt as if it was trying a little too hard to top the first book in the series. Bridget gets up to her usual hijinks, quickly loses her newly acquired boyfriend due to a series of misunderstandings, and has to fall back and the support of her friends (who are batshit crazy and I love them!). Her mom is up to more awkwardness, her work life is awful and why is nothing ever normal?! Her candid diary entries always make for a good laugh. The most absurd (and to me, funniest) part of the book is when Bridget ends up in a Taiwanese prison. Only she could get herself in such a fix. There were a few laugh out loud moments and I enjoyed this story. ( )
  ecataldi | Jul 17, 2018 |
I did not enjoy this book nearly as much as the first one. It made me cringe more than laugh. The beginning and the end made me laugh out loud a few times, but most of the middle just made me feel embarrassed for everyone involved. Definitely a lot harder to get through. ( )
  fogisbeautiful | Feb 13, 2018 |
I thought this was one of those books I will never read but looking for a quick read to reach my target of six books for January 2018, I picked this up. Maybe because of my low expectations, I enjoyed reading it, apart from some British slang that I didn't understand. And some parts were really funny. ( )
  siok | Jan 30, 2018 |
From my Cannonball Read V review...

As you may have read yesterday, I loved Bridget Jones’s Diary. It was fun, honest, shallow, deep. Everything I want in a quick read. So naturally I downloaded the second Bridget Jones book. Still a quick read, still entertaining, probably not as great, but still fun.

Spoilers ahead, sort of.

This book starts with our heroine still dating Mark Darcy. There are some challenges, and they spend the better part of the year apart, possibly due to a scheming ‘friend’ who has decided that SHE belongs with Mark Darcy, not Bridget. There are bits that made me somewhat uncomfortable – basically the entire storyline involving Bridget’s mother and a trip to Africa – but there were also a lot of moments where I genuinely laughed. There’s also an entire chapter that I admit to reading with one eye closed because OH MY GOD EMBARASSING. If you’ve read this book, I think you know the chapter. Ah, Colin Firth.

This book has a few more absurd components than the first one, and I have to say that I was a bit annoyed that the same plot device from the first book – Horrible Legal Misunderstanding Fixed by Dashing Mark Flying Somewhere To Fix It – was unnecessary and seemed to be a bit … lazy? I mean, it worked in the first one, so perhaps Ms. Fielding felt if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? I don’t know. The second half of the Thailand storyline was ridiculous, but the first? I do have to admit that I didn’t see it coming. So there’s that.

Also, there’s a weird language issue – I don’t know if this is an England thing, and I don’t recall it from living there a year, but instead of referring to someone as Asian, the author has the characters saying ‘oriental.’ That’s … not right. And was jarring every time I saw it.

I don’t see myself re-reading this book, but I am still excited for the third installment. I like Bridget. I don’t know if I would be friends with her, but I’m invested. She can be shallow, but I do think Ms. Fielding has written her with a good heart. She’s flawed but she’s not insufferable. I want good things for her. ( )
  ASKelmore | Jul 8, 2017 |
This book is a garbage fire. Fielding completely ruined the wonderful characters she created in the first book and this book was so incredibly frustrating that I literally threw it out my front door. I don't recommend this if you enjoyed the first book - it's utterly ridiculous crap. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Oct 4, 2016 |

Helen Fieldingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bennett, TracieNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Busquets, NtorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karhulahti, SariTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porto, AldaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the other Bridgets
Monday 27 January
9st 3 (total fat groove), boyfriends 1 (hurrah!), shags 3 (hurrah!), calories 2,100, calories used up by shags 600, so total calories 1,500 (exemplary).

[UK edition].
Monday 27 January
129 lbs. (total fat groove), boyfriends 1 (hurrah!), shags 3 (hurrah!), calories 2,100, calories used up by shags 600, so total calories 1,500 (exemplary).
This is the book, please do not combine with the film. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

The Wilderness Years are over! But not for long. At the end of Bridget Jone's Diary, Bridget hiccuped off into the sunset with man-of-her-dreams Mark Darcy. Now, in The Edge of Reason, she discovers what it is like when you have the man of your dreams actually in your flat and he hasn't done the washing up, not just the whole of this week, but ever.

Lurching through a morass of self-help-book theories and mad advice from Jude and Shazzer, struggling with a boyfriend-stealing ex-friend with thighs like a baby giraffe, an 8ft hole in the living-room wall, a mother obsessed with boiled-egg peelers, and a builder obsessed with large reservior fish, Bridget embarks on a spiritual epiphany, which takes her from the cappuccino queues of Notting Hill to the palm- and magic-mushroom-kissed shores of...

Bridget is back. V.g.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,183,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible