A Case of Need by Michael Crichton

A Case of Need (original 1968; edition 2003)

by Michael Crichton

Member:Linfrali
Title:A Case of Need
Authors:Michael Crichton
Info:Signet (2003), Paperback, 416 pages

A Case of Need by Michael Crichton (1968)

Blood Hollow by William Kent Krueger (VictoriaPL)
    VictoriaPL: Both books are mysteries with a young woman's death at the center and a web of suspects among those who knew her.

English (31)  Spanish (2)  All (33)
This is the first book published by Michael Crichton (pseudonym Jeffery Hudson). I still miss his writing, and I had never read this book before so it was time for me to dive into his back list. I can't remember what alerted me to this book, but I was also intrigued to read more about the clandestine abortions that women had to seek out in the days before Roe v Wade.

This is definitely a book of its time when the safest communication was a pay phone, when a young white woman would rebel against a parent by dating or sleeping with a Negro, and when LSD was prevalent. It's difficult as a modern reader to encounter the racism, the misogyny, and the hatred towards abortionist doctors and pregnant women.

A Case of Need was a compelling read for me because of the subject matter of abortion and the impact on women, particularly in these times of rollbacks with healthcare in general. It's inconceivable
that we're still so close to a woman bearing all the responsibility for sexual encounters, to the point of the poor being either lucky enough or unfortunate enough to find back alley methods or to the wealthy being able to afford the privacy of confidential and convoluted reasons for a D&C. A Case of Need is scary for its portrayal of how little agency women have, particularly women without financial resources.

Crichton's writing is clumsy and rushed. He uses a lot of medical terminology with footnotes, so it is a slog to make it through all of the narrative. This was a book that meant a lot to me because of the subject matter but it's definitely not a favorite due to the level of writing skill. I'm still glad that I read it, but I would recommend this book only to other readers who are interested in exploring a "slice of life" rather than a well written book. ( )
  MNTreehugger | Jan 1, 2018 |
Fast moving thriller ( )
  keithgordonvernon | May 1, 2017 |
Too many medical terms that I could not understand made me put it down for good. ( )
  JordanRMD | Feb 18, 2017 |
good novel @ Dr. Lee charged w/ abortion murder - pathologist tracks him down

christinejoseph | Feb 5, 2016 |
Early Critchton that does not sizzle with the energy a few of his others do (_Rising Sun_ still top on my list of his work). Not one of Crichton's best novels - I consider him overrated most of the time. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Crichton, Michaelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hudson, JeffereyAuthormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
All heart surgeons are bastards and Conway is no exception.
Originally published under the name of Jeffery Hudson

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451210638, Mass Market Paperback)

A Case of Need is Michael Crichton's award-winning debut novel, written shortly after he completed his medical internship. Set against the ever-building pressure and pace of a large Boston medical center, the tensions flare-and explode-when a surgical operation tragically ends in death, raising countless questions. Was it accidental malpractice? A violation of the Hippocratic oath? Or cold-blooded murder?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

Murder? Botched surgery? Accidental malpractice? Someone violating the Hippocratic oath? No one knows exactly.... Only one doctor is willing to push his way through the hidden medical data and secrets to learn the truth.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,561,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible