dismiss

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances

by John Green (Contributor)

Other authors: Maureen Johnson (Contributor), Lauren Myracle (Contributor)

In three intertwining short stories, several high school couples experience the trials and tribulations along with the joys of romance during a Christmas Eve snowstorm in a small town.
    Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Sweet, lighthearted, intelligent romance stories in intriguing settings. Fun reading for your free time in summer or winter.

English (98)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (101)
I don't know if this gets two or three stars but I'm in a good mood so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

Floofy fluffy fun, for the most part, but
• sheeeesh;
• the word 'giggling' has lost any positive connotation it ever held;
• thanks to this book I now understand that all cheerleaders are drop-dead gorgeous vapid airheads and other protagonist girls are different and quirky and special okaY I GET IT;
• at certain points it really just feels like the plot is checking itself against a list and making sure okay there's a cool relatable character unlucky in love oh no crisis hey look cute potential romantic interest oh no obstacles and miscommunication but what do you know it's a Christmas miracle hm wow look yay LOVE!
• [insert GIF of a glassy-eyed smiling face melting away.]

Also probably most importantly,
• Lauren Myracle why;
"frustration and anguish warred with each other on his face"
• is just one of many testimonies;
• what's! your! point!;
• even characters that were not her own were sickening.

However,
• John Green clearly has a lot of fun with his story and Maureen Johnson is a whole lotta laughs.

Good if you're looking for a mindless few hours to burn as you curl up inside on a cold day, but probably not for much else. ( )
  piquareste | Jun 3, 2020 |
I didn't realize when I started reading these books that they were interconnected. Don't know how I missed that detail. When the first story ended, I was pretty upset that there were a lot of loose ends left hanging. As you can imagine, I was very happy when the second story picked up one of those loose ends. The combination of the three stories left me with a happy, warm feeling inside that may have been a bit of the Christmas spirit. ( )
  melrailey | Apr 7, 2020 |
It's weird re-reading stories you read in high school. I can remember what I used to think while reading this but now it has a different feel to me. I'm always gonna be a sucker for it's mushy romances though. ( )
  barajash29 | Jan 22, 2020 |
I received this book for free from Penguin Teen for promotional purposes.

I was really excited to read this because I wanted to watch the movie on Netflix. For once, I was good and actually read the book first. I haven’t watched the movie yet but I will at some point in the next few days so my review is solely based on the book.

As a whole, I found this to be underwhelming. I had such high hopes but it didn’t quite reach them. This book was originally published in 2008 and I felt like this was a very typical YA book from that time. There was nothing that really drew me in and made me fall in love with it. I also didn’t feel any sort of attachment to the characters. I felt sort of meh about all of them.

As for the three stories, the best one was The Jubilee Express, followed by The Patron Saint of Pigs and A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle.

I did like that even though they were three separate stories, they still felt cohesive, as if they were all a part of the same novel. I liked that some of the characters crossed over into the other stories. That helped tie everything together nicely.

Overall, this book wasn’t what I was expecting, but if want a cheesy YA romance to read for Christmas, give it a shot! ( )
  jessicadelellis | Dec 10, 2019 |
This was a cute collection of three Christmas-themed YA romances. It was a little lighter than what I usually read, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless and it was perfect for the season. My favorite part of this book was the way that all the stories were interconnected, even though they were about different people. It's definitely beneficial to read them in the order they are presented.

I only had a few little complaints about this collection. Though I know it was unintentional, John Green's story carried a hint of misogyny. It featured a tomboy-ish girl who at one point called it sexist for boys to be obsessed with cheerleaders but who also a little later declared pride in not being like "most girls." The male main character also thought of her as being "more like a person than other girls," implying that personhood is rooted in what is stereotypically male. These were definitely believable thoughts for teenagers to have, but I would have liked to see them challenged by the end of it the way that Maureen Johnson challenged her character's stereotyping of cheerleaders in her story.

Another thing I didn't like was the use of a teacup pig in Lauren Myracle's story, simply because teacup pigs are actually just regular pigs being underfed. I would assume the author simply didn't know this, but as someone who does, seeing teacup pigs portrayed in the media is always somewhat disappointing. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |

Green, JohnContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, MaureenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myracle, LaurenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abedi, BarbaraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lauren Myracle- For Dad, Sarah Lee, and the lovely mountain town of Brevard, NC... all chock-full of grace.
John Green - To Ilene Cooper, who has guided me through so many blizzards
Maureen Johnson - For Hamish, who embodied the "go down the hill really fast and if something gets in your way, turn" school of teaching me how to deal with a snowy slope. And for all who toil behind the facade of a corporate monolith, fo revery person who has to say grande latte three thousand times a day, for every soul who's ever had to deal with a broken credit card reader in the holiday rush... this one is for you.
It was the night before Christmas.(the Jubilee Express)
JP and the Duke and I were four movies in to our James Bond marathon when my mother called home for the sixth time in five hours. (A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle)
Being me sucked. (The Patron Saint of Pigs)
Please do not combine individual stories with the complete anthology. This is important because many of the stories are available in multiple anthologies, and also as single titles.

contains:
The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson;
A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green;
The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,066,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible