Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances

by John Green (Contributor)

Other authors: Maureen Johnson (Contributor), Lauren Myracle (Contributor)

In three intertwining short stories, several high school couples experience the trials and tribulations along with the joys of romance during a Christmas Eve snowstorm in a small town.
    Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Sweet, lighthearted, intelligent romance stories in intriguing settings. Fun reading for your free time in summer or winter.

English (109)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (113)
To be honest, I preferred the Netflix special to the book! ( )
  RealLifeReading | Mar 11, 2022 |
  ChelseaVK | Dec 10, 2021 |
I like Maureen Johnson’s story the best but all three of these linked stories are fun, romantic, and touched with holiday magic. ( )
  bookappeal | Dec 6, 2021 |
John Green's was clearly the best story of the three, but I love how all three short stories come together in the end to make this an almost-novel. It's cute, fluffy, and Christmassy, and I really liked it. ( )
  KaffinatedWitch | Oct 15, 2021 |
1. The Jubilee Express: Maureen Johnson – ★★★★

So the first story begins with Jubilee. And no, I don’t mean a party. I mean a girl. Named Jubilee. I don’t understand why her parents would do that to her but ok. So it starts with Jubilee’s parents going to jail for being part of a riot. A riot involving the Flobie Santa Village which is essentially a Christmas themed Miniature Wonderland but creepier ’cause it has elves in it with gifts stuck to their hands ALL THE TIME. And of course, the name ‘Jubilee’ came from one of the village pieces namely ‘Jubilee Hall’ (now that I think about it, they kinda deserved to be arrested). So naturally, Jubilee’s parents want her to go to her grandparent’s place in Florida in the middle of a snowstorm and her boyfriend does not care what she does as long as he gets to throw a Christmas party with his family. On this train ride, she meets Jeb and 14 cheerleaders who are way too enthusiastic about their train stopping halfway through Gracetown. Naturally, Jubilee exits the train and makes her way to a local Waffle House where she meets Stuart. Now Stuart, being the nice guy that he is offers JUbilee a place to stay till the storm blows over with his Jewish mom who insists on celebrating Christmas and his little sister. Throughout the course of two days, Jubilee realises that this guy that she barely knows cares more about her than her stupid and perfect, little boyfriend. SO she calls him, breaks up with him and then kisses Stuart and lives happily ever after. Well, as happy as a person can be, stuck in a storm, in Gracetown, with arrested parents over a Santa Village during Christmas.

2. A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle: John Green – ★★★

In a not-so-far-away part of Gracetown, three best friends, Tobin, J.P and the Duke (aka Angie) are binge-watching James Bond movies in the middle of a storm when they get a call from their friend Keun ( who works at the Waffle House), telling them about 14 hot cheerleaders who want to play Twister ASAP. Tobin and J.P agree immediately and drag the Duke along with them. So apparently, Angie got her name ‘Duke’ from this supermarket called the ‘Duke & Duchess’ where instead of calling you sir or ma’am, they call you Duke and Duchess (which is super dumb in my opinion). So obviously, one of the cashiers just had to go and call her Duke because of the way she dressed and the baseball cap. So basically, it stuck. I know you think this is totally unimportant but trust me it is VERY important ’cause it took me a while to figure who the Duke is. Anyway, they take Carla ( Tobin’s parents’ car) out of the garage and into the snow while they’re trying to beat the twins who ruin everything. They crash Carla (sorta) which dislodges her front wheel so they just decide to trek to the Waffle House so the Duke can have her hashbrowns and Tobin along with J.P, the cheerleaders. But after trying to miserably flirt with one of the cheerleaders named Amber (or was it, Katherine or Madeleine, I wouldn’t know), Tobin finally realises that the girl he actually loves is the DUKE. So he kisses her and the end!

3. The Patron Saint of Pigs: Lauren Myracle – ★★

In another closer part of Gracetown, young Addie has cut and dyed her hair and its not-so-wonderful. She hates it, her friends Dorrie and Teagan hate it and her boyfriend who’s Jeb by the way hates her(ish). These three friends are trying to solve Addie’s boy problems while she hides out under a blanket. So Addie’s done a very bad thing. She kissed a guy while she was drunk ’cause she and her boyfriends were having problems which is really bitchy. And then she sends him this really cringe-worthy email bout how ‘if he wants her, she’s his.’ And her friend Teagan is going to get a teacup-pig for Christmas. For those of you who don’t know, a teacup pig is a really tiny pig that only grows up to about 5 pounds. To put it simply, they’re super cute but totally unnecessary in the story. And of course, Addie works at Starbucks (I can’t–).

Throughout the whole story, people just keep telling her that she’s this self-absorbed bitch (which she really is) and get this, after she told Jeb that she cheated on him, SHE BROKE UP WITH HIM!! How does that even make sense?! And then she forgets to pick up Teagan’s pig from the store because she creates a crisis of her own which is her speciality. And then when she does get the pig after a lot of finding, she goes back to Starbucks and gets her man too.
Throughout the whole book, the plot seems to weaken as the stories progress. The first story by Maureen Johnson was honestly the best and can be read as a stand-alone (which I recommend). Because of the next two stories, the whole book seemed boring and just toxic in the end. I mean its a Christmas themed book. Why the hell is it so horrible? ‘Cause honestly, Addie was self-absorbed and totally underserving of Jeb. She got a happy ending without any character development whatsoever which was probably the worst. So whoever thought that this book is ok to read during the holidays, I say it’s really not. ( )
  rhiti.dsouza | Mar 15, 2021 |

Green, JohnContributorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, MaureenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Myracle, LaurenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abedi, BarbaraÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lauren Myracle- For Dad, Sarah Lee, and the lovely mountain town of Brevard, NC... all chock-full of grace.
John Green - To Ilene Cooper, who has guided me through so many blizzards
Maureen Johnson - For Hamish, who embodied the "go down the hill really fast and if something gets in your way, turn" school of teaching me how to deal with a snowy slope. And for all who toil behind the facade of a corporate monolith, fo revery person who has to say grande latte three thousand times a day, for every soul who's ever had to deal with a broken credit card reader in the holiday rush... this one is for you.
It was the night before Christmas. (The Jubilee Express)
JP and the Duke and I were four movies in to our James Bond marathon when my mother called home for the sixth time in five hours. (A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle)
Being me sucked. (The Patron Saint of Pigs)
Please do not combine individual stories with the complete anthology. This is important because many of the stories are available in multiple anthologies, and also as single titles.

contains:
The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson;
A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green;
The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,740,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible