Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John…

Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances (edition 2008)

by John Green, Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson

2,205974,516 (3.85)48
In three intertwining short stories, several high school couples experience the trials and tribulations along with the joys of romance during a Christmas Eve snowstorm in a small town.
Member:titania86
Title:Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances
Authors:John Green
Other authors:Lauren Myracle, Maureen Johnson
Info:Speak (2008), Edition: 0, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read :), Owned, eBooks
Tags:romance, teen

Let it Snow: Three Holiday Romances by John Green

Monsoon Summer by Mitali Perkins (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Sweet, lighthearted, intelligent romance stories in intriguing settings. Fun reading for your free time in summer or winter.

English (95)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
This was a cute collection of three Christmas-themed YA romances. It was a little lighter than what I usually read, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless and it was perfect for the season. My favorite part of this book was the way that all the stories were interconnected, even though they were about different people. It's definitely beneficial to read them in the order they are presented.

I only had a few little complaints about this collection. Though I know it was unintentional, John Green's story carried a hint of misogyny. It featured a tomboy-ish girl who at one point called it sexist for boys to be obsessed with cheerleaders but who also a little later declared pride in not being like "most girls." The male main character also thought of her as being "more like a person than other girls," implying that personhood is rooted in what is stereotypically male. These were definitely believable thoughts for teenagers to have, but I would have liked to see them challenged by the end of it the way that Maureen Johnson challenged her character's stereotyping of cheerleaders in her story.

Another thing I didn't like was the use of a teacup pig in Lauren Myracle's story, simply because teacup pigs are actually just regular pigs being underfed. I would assume the author simply didn't know this, but as someone who does, seeing teacup pigs portrayed in the media is always somewhat disappointing. ( )
  NovelInsights | Sep 21, 2019 |
Let It Snow has been on my TBR for YEARS. I decided to pick it up as part of the 12 Days of Read-A-Thon. Reading it in December was definitely a good idea as it is all about three romances that take place during Christmas all within the same town.

THE JUBILEE EXPRESS — MAUREEN JOHNSON (3/5)
The Jubilee Express was cute and a good way to kick off the novel. Jubilee’s parents are crazy collectors of Flobie Christmas Villages and when they go to buy a new piece at the showroom on Christmas eve, a mob breaks out and when they fail to disperse, are thrown in jail.

The mention of people being obsessed with collecting Christmas villages is hilarious to me as I work in a Christmas store and it is 100% accurate.

Jubilee and Stuart were pretty neutral characters, they weren’t entirely boring but they weren’t amazing. However, Jubilee really seemed to hate cheerleaders … but so did everyone in this book and it was a bizarre trend. The entire concept of Jubilee going home with Stuart was … so incredibly unrealistic, which is not something I try to say about books but it was just strange. This would probably never happen. Overall, not bad but just weird.

A CHEERTASTIC CHRISTMAS MIRACLE — JOHN GREEN (3/5)
This entire story is centered around three friends who have to get to a Waffle House in the middle of a blizzard because there’s a group of cheerleaders stranded at the Waffle House.

I really enjoyed this! Our cast of characters was very charismatic and their interactions felt genuine. The overall premise of “We must go see the hot cheerleaders or we’ll die!” was … weird but I was able to put that aside because of how much I enjoyed the group interactions. Our main characters were underdeveloped but generally enjoyable, save for the fact that the only girl was hellbent on how she’s ~*~* not like other girls ~*~* the entirety of the story and it was irritating. We get it. You hate women.

The actual romance aspect of this novel was weird. We go from best friends to “Hey I love you” only after someone else mentions that they might like each-other teasingly. What? That’s … not how life works. The actual ending, where the two got together, would have been so cute, had it not felt like instalove.

I feel like this story really could have benefitted from being it’s own full length novel or maybe even just a longer short story. Flesh it all out and we could have something great here.

THE PATRON SAINT OF PIGS — LAUREN MYRACLE (2/5)
If you’re reading this book, feel free to just stop when John Green’s story ends. You don’t need to read this. It is bad.

Our main character is incredibly whiny and self-absorbed and just not good. She was incredibly obnoxious and irritating. Her “transformation” at the end was rushed and made no sense whatsoever to me. I don’t understand the author’s intent. Was I supposed to feel bad for her? I don’t. She didn’t learn from any mistakes. She didn’t grow as a character. We turned a page and she was a brand new person, without any work to get there. Also … can you guess? She hated cheerleaders too. This book is really anti-cheerleader.

Had it not been for the side characters, the atmosphere, and the fact that I really just wanted to see how much she could screw everything up, I would have DNFed the book.

Each individual story was connected at the end of this one but it was pointless and felt forced. Rather than giving you a sense of connection, it put a strange damper on the stories I had previously enjoyed.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read. It was very atmospheric and fun to read around the holiday, I just could have done without the last story and the bizarre cheerleader hate. ( )
  readbybrit | Apr 18, 2019 |
If you’re looking to curl up with a comfy blanket, a cup of hot chocolate, and a fluffy read, this will definitely fit the bill. It’s exactly what you’d expect: some sweet YA stories about love during the holidays. The first two stories were considerably stronger than the last, which suffered from featuring a main character who was too unlikable to cheer for or even really care about. Mostly I just wanted her boyfriend to be done with her and find someone better; not exactly what the author was going for, I think. Still, it’s worth a read if you’re looking for something light, but feel free to skip that last one. You really won’t miss much, unless you want to know a fair bit about the behind the scenes at Starbucks. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Short and captivating. ( )
  Elaine_Omwango | Jan 26, 2019 |
Jag tyckte om den, men det gav mig mycket mindre julkänslor än vad jag trodde att den skulle ge. Jag tyckte om hur de vävde ihop novellerna. Även om det var olika författare till novellerna så hänger de ihop.
Jag tror nog att den första novellen var min favorit, men de andra var inte så tokiga heller. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |

Green, Johnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Johnson, Maureenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Myracle, Laurenmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Lauren Myracle- For Dad, Sarah Lee, and the lovely mountain town of Brevard, NC... all chock-full of grace.
John Green - To Ilene Cooper, who has guided me through so many blizzards
Maureen Johnson - For Hamish, who embodied the "go down the hill really fast and if something gets in your way, turn" school of teaching me how to deal with a snowy slope. And for all who toil behind the facade of a corporate monolith, fo revery person who has to say grande latte three thousand times a day, for every soul who's ever had to deal with a broken credit card reader in the holiday rush... this one is for you.
It was the night before Christmas.(the Jubilee Express)
JP and the Duke and I were four movies in to our James Bond marathon when my mother called home for the sixth time in five hours. (A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle)
Being me sucked. (The Patron Saint of Pigs)
Please do not combine individual stories with the complete anthology. This is important because many of the stories are available in multiple anthologies, and also as single titles.

contains:
The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson;
A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green;
The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,858,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible