Poor Stainless: The Last Borrowers Story by…

Poor Stainless: The Last Borrowers Story (original 1966; edition 1994)

by Mary Norton (Author)

Series: The Borrowers (Short Story)

Tragedy is feared when the youngest of a family of miniature people is discovered missing.
Member:CCJones72
Title:Poor Stainless: The Last Borrowers Story
Authors:Mary Norton (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (1994), Edition: New Ed, 80 pages

Poor Stainless: A New Story About the Borrowers by Mary Norton (1966)

A world of miniature people live close enough to borrow what they need from human beings without being "seen." When one of the youngest borrowers goes missing one day, his family and neighbors go out to either find him safe or to discover his unfortunate fate in Poor Stainless by author Mary Norton.

I much prefer one subtitle for this short story over another: A New Story about the Borrowers (oh, yay!) rather than The Last Borrowers Story (aw, man). While I first read about the borrowers almost three decades ago, I only recently learned of this additional story's existence, and I had to check it out.

Granted, although this quick tale is technically a standalone, I don't think many folks who aren't already familiar with this classic children's fantasy series and its characters would care much about this little bonus piece. I myself didn't find the story the most interesting until toward the end.

But, hey. It's nearly time for me to read the fifth, longest, and last novel of the series for the first time. I'm excited but a little nervous to see how it'll all wrap up, and what better way to stall than by reading a bonus story first?
___________
Update after reading The Borrowers Avenged, the fifth and last book of the series:

I'd recommend either getting your hands on an original copy of Book Four, The Borrowers Aloft, or finding Book Four's original conclusion online somewhere. Then let that original ending be The End.

A few more of my thoughts are here. ( )
  NadineC.Keels | Feb 16, 2021 |
NA
  pszolovits | Feb 3, 2021 |
Poor Stainless is a delectable addition to the Borrower tales. Written for children and illustrated by Beth and Joe Krush, it allows us a moment with Arrietty and her mother Homely. Homily recounts the adventure of Stainless, a young Borrower.

This would be a sweet story to read to children while letting them munch on some old fashioned candy. ( )
1 vote MrsLee | Jul 17, 2016 |
This story is included with my copy of The Borrowers Aloft. It is very brief, about as long as chapter. It is a story unto itself, but completely irrelevant to the series. Worth reading, but you are not missing anything if you don't. ( )
  ASBiskey | Jan 29, 2011 |

Mary Nortonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Lionel
"And now," said Arrietty to Homily, "tell me what-you-used-to-do..."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,309,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible