The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah…

The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson (original 1975; edition 2000)

by Ann McGovern, Harold Goodwin (Illustrator)

A brief biography of the woman who disguised herself as a man and joined the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
Member:zampinthelamp
Title:The Secret Soldier: The Story of Deborah Sampson
Authors:Ann McGovern
Other authors:Harold Goodwin (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2000), Paperback
Tags:Children's Books

The Secret Soldier : The Story of Deborah Sampson by Ann McGovern (1975)

lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
jB
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
This was a Scholastic book selection in our monthly book purchases. I purchased it when I was in about 4th or 5th grade, about the time the book was printed. I really enjoyed the story of a young girl becoming a spy in the Revolutionary War. It is an easy to read book as I recall.
  MarySchubert | Jun 5, 2018 |
Written in short entertaining paragraphs which I can only assumed where formed from Deborah Sampson diary as the book states she kept one most of her life after she learned to read. Deborah was known to be a very smart child and as a adult even taught as a school teacher for a while until she became eager to travel the world. She saw her chance in joining the American Revolution dressed as a man. She even fooled her own mother dressed up.

The book is easy to read and entertaining with drawings of Deborah and her history. I think it is an excellent read for children to learn how far women have gotten to this day and in Deborah’s time period. I would be interested to see more books about her. I do not know if any books are out there in adult format but there should be if her diary is around. ( )
  lavenderagate | Sep 12, 2011 |
The Story of Deborah Sampson, tells of how she entered into the army during the 1700s disguised as a man. The book tells of how she dealt with the hardships and challenges of keeping her secret a secret.
  css012 | Apr 26, 2011 |

McGovern, Annprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Goodwin, HaroldIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Grifalconi, AnnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thompson, KatherineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,765,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible