Quiet Meg (Avalon Romance) by Sherry Lynn…

Quiet Meg (Avalon Romance) (2008)

by Sherry Lynn Ferguson

I'd read that Ferguson was heir to Georgette Heyer, an author I had warm nostalgic memories of reading in my teens. So, I decided to venture down Memory Lane and judge for myself. But time has a way of spoiling one's attempts to recapture past joys, even when they're ersatz.

Nothing against the author, but I am too removed by advanced age from experiencing the same kind of fascination with love stories set 200 years in the past, especially when I avoid contemporary love stories for lack of interest in romantic entanglements in my own time frame, much less in Jane Austen's. And Feguson, even Heyer, are neither Jane Austen.

The story is formulaic. Girl meets boy/meets girl. Sexual tension builds as they spar verbally. Outside events complicate the relationship. Events are cleverly overcome. Happily ever after ensues. However, this novel rises slightly above its cohort because the hero is a landscape architect a la Capability Brown. I found the passages in the novel that dwelt on details of his profession the most interesting. The novel sinks below average in the thin individualization of its female characters who tend to be representative rather than personalized to the degree that will allow them to linger in the literate memory.

Still, the reader could choose a worse book on which to waste a couple of vacation afternoons or commuting hours. If you've read all of Heyer and Austen and still crave more of this genre, then Quiet Meg is a safe choice. ( )
  Limelite | Mar 3, 2017 |
For Charlotte and Audrey
The proprietors of grand estates usually adopted a formality and consequence comparable to their surroundings.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 080349906X, Hardcover)

Architect and landscaper Charles Cabot, a descendant of dukes, finds himself much in demand. Wealthy landowners are enthusiastically improving their vast country estates. When Sir Eustace Lawrence, renowned King's Counsel, invites Cabot to visit his Berkshire home, Cabot plans to apply his talents to a modification of the grounds. But he soon discovers that other skills are called for. All is not well with the amiable Lawrence family. One daughter, Margaret, has for years drawn the unwelcome, jealous attentions of the powerful Earl of Sutcliffe. The earl has essentially placed Meg under siege. Meg has had ample proof of Sutcliffe's deadliness. She has not dared to bestow her hand or her heart on any suitor for fear of what may befall him. But she is unaware of the lengths to which their new family friend, Charles Cabot, will go in order to protect her. When her family visits London for the season and a confrontation looms, Meg and her awakened affections must face the ultimate test.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:42 -0400)

Charles Cabot's quality landscape architect work nicely complements his noble lineage. A routine visit to the estate of Sir Eustace Lawrence quickly draws Charles into Lawrence family tensions: middle daughter Margaret has an obsessive stalker in the powerful, sadistic earl of Sutcliffe. Since Sutcliffe has already killed a young male friend of Meg's and gotten away with it, she has maintained an emotional distance from all men, fearing Sutcliffe will repeat his violence. But in spite of Meg's determined coolness, both she and Charles feel stirred by romance, and Charles, dressed in his aristocratic finery and flanked by his high-born cousins, baits Sutcliffe to show his hand.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,692,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible