North American Lake Monsters: Stories by…

North American Lake Monsters: Stories

by Nathan Ballingrud

241968,135 (4.12)16

Thoroughly interesting and wonderfully bizarre, North American Lake Monsters takes the creepy to a whole new level. I read this book expecting horror extraordinaire, and what I found was something even better. Through each story I found the different horror elements to be interesting to read about, at times I even found myself looking around wondering what it all meant. Though not as chilling as some horror stories, North American Lake Monsters is certainly a book I will not forget. ( )
  estella_jlor | Oct 26, 2017 |
Bought this off the Google Play store on a whim after first seeing it on a Book Riot article. And I think that cover and the title also did me in.

I do admit it wasn't exactly what I thought it would be. I kinda expected to be scared silly. But it's not that type of "horror" I guess. More of a feeling of dread - but not dread. That cold chill down your spine like you've forgotten something horribly important dread. Not heavy exactly. Or rather not heavy in the sense that the stories read like slice of life vignettes... and that was the charm for me I suppose, it is as everyday life - with really weird stuff slotted in like it wasn't really weird stuff. That story with the wife and husband is one that comes to mind - the both of them "going through the motions" like nothing was horribly, horribly wrong. Gah.

Great atmosphere/feel - well written - and usually leaves you feeling rather "existential"/"nihilistic"/insert-meaningful-buzzword-along-the-same-vein. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
This is one of the best collections of short stories I've read in a long time. The characters are painfully real, many of them not good people at all, but fascinating, and the stories linger. My favorites were "You Go Where It Takes You," a story about becoming someone else; "Sunbleached," a story about a vampire, and "The Good Husband," a story about suicide and the stories we tell ourselves about what kind of people we are. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Apr 17, 2017 |
Amazing collection of stories about marriage, family, love, and loss. The vampires, zombies, and werewolves are metaphorical and well-developed characters. These stories are haunting, scary, and vivid. Highly recommend, especially if you are a Jeff Vandermeer fan. Can't stop thinking about them. ( )
  Virginia-A | Dec 21, 2016 |
All the usual horror suspects are represented in this collection of short stories, but this book is more unsettling than it is scary. The writing was beautiful and descriptive in a way that makes you feel as though you're watching a movie in your mind's eye. My favorite story was The Good Husband. I really enjoyed this collection and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  Pretear | Jun 16, 2016 |
Ballingrud’s writing is piercing and merciless, holding the lens steady through fear, rage and disgust, showing a weird kind of love to his subjects, in refusing to turn away, as well as an uncompromising pitilessness. Angels and vampires are placed next to lost white supremacist boys and burnt-out waitresses. All are equally, horribly ugly and real.

A single short story. Do NOT combine with the collection of the same name.

""Nathan Ballingrud is one of my favorite short fiction writers.""?Jeff VanderMeer ""Nathan Ballingrud's 'The Way Station' is another story of the sort I've come to expect from him: emotionally intense, riveting, and deeply upsetting in many ways. It deals with loss, with the aftereffects of Katrina on a homeless alcoholic who's haunted by the city itself be-fore the flood, and in doing so it's wrenching. ... It's an excellent story that paints a riveting por-trait of a man, his city, and his loss.""?Tor.com on The Naked City ""But the two most remarkable stories i.… (more)

Small Beer Press

2 editions of this book were published by Small Beer Press.

Editions: 1618730592, 1618730606

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,821,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible