Heart of the Wolf by Terry Spear

Heart of the Wolf

by Terry Spear

Bella is a red werewolf, sole survivor of the fire that killed her entire pack. Forced to flee her adopted gray pack when the alpha male becomes a vicious threat, she struggles to live as a lone wolf, until Devlyn, the gray male who rescued her as a pup, comes to bring her home. His passion for her won't be denied, but he's a beta, doomed to fight to the death if he so much as touches the alpha's choice of mate.… (more)

She's on the run from a pack leader who wants to mate her. She's only wanted Devlyn and since she can't have him she seeks to find a human she can turn and mate before their pack leader finds her.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |

Heart of the Wolf is a re-release and having only picked up one Terry Spear book in the past, I decided it was the perfect time to give this a read. I went in knowing little of the story, but having heard good things!

I picked up the story and it starts in 1850 so I was instantly curious about the world Spear created. Were these immortal wolves? Was this the story of the history of the pack? Was this a historical PNR?? Spear's wolves, once they are of age, only age 1 year for every 30 human years. They exist in the world without human knowledge and the number one rule? Never let humans know! In the prologue, you meet Bella, the heroine, who is a red wolf that has been raised in a grey wolf pack after a wildfire killed her family. Volan, the grey pack alpha has decreed that Bella will be his mate, but she will do anything to avoid that fate.

Bella is a scrappy thing and I liked that about her! She is pragmatic yet vulnerable. She is smart, yet not so cocky she thinks she is invincible. Even though she is a wolf, Bella is an incredibly relatable character. However, she spends the first 30-40% of the book avoiding getting raped by so many men (and one actual wolf). Seriously, they all want to forcibly mate her because there is apparently a shortage of females (and a major shortage of red wolf females). She is in love with Devlyn, but fears that he will be killed if she mates him (because all the other dudes will be pissed!).

Bella wants Devlyn but Velan wants Bella. But, that isn't their only problem! Alfred, Nicol, and Ross also want Bella and will NOT back down. Plus, there is a serial killer on the loose. So, you know, kind of busy! Bella wants to protect everyone and that makes Devlyn feel a bit less manly. I understand why his male ego would be wounded, but I also understand Bella's desire to keep everyone safe. This point of contention was the biggest issue between these two. I wished they would have just talked through things. Obviously, Bella isn't going to just stop trying to save everyone so Devlyn's attempts to force her to stay in the car, go to a safe house, etc are irritating. I also wasn't sure about their actual mating-was it official once they had sex or did they have to wait for the moon and change into wolves? Could the other wolves still take her for their own after she was mated? It just wasn't explained well (or perhaps I missed it!).

Heart of the Wolf was an engaging read, even when it made me want to knock some skulls together! The end felt a little anti-climatic after all the build up but it was satisfying! I certainly plan to read more from Spear!

• POV: 3rd

• Tears: no

• Trope: shifters

• Triggers: none

• Series/Standalone: stand alone

• Cliffhanger: no

• HEA: yes with epilogue

Shifter's Sacrifice by Lisa Ladew, Blade by Alexandra Ivy and Laura Wright, Wolf's Mate by Celia Kyle...then you will probably like Heart of a Wolf!

Heart of a Wolf

See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
Heart of the Wolf
3 Stars

Synopsis
The sole survivor of her red wolf pack, Bella is rescued by a grey wolf male and adopted into his pack. Unfortunately, she is soon forced to flee when the pack alpha sets his sights on her and becomes a serious threat. Years later, Bella comes face to face with her past and Devlyn, the wolf who saved her, when circumstances bring them together once again.

Review
Starts out really well with an interesting story and characters with sizzling chemistry. Unfortunately, things take a turn for the worse with the addition of several improbable subplots.

Bella is a strong-willed and independent heroine. However, the fact that she has no faith in Devlyn's abilities made me like her less. Devlyn, however, is simply gorgeous and the fact that he is constantly walking around naked in a big plus, lol!

The werewolf mythology has potential, especially with the inclusion of traditional wolf characteristics and behaviors. However, the explanation of their origins is very sketchy and underdeveloped. Moreover, the overly obsessive and sexist nature of the wolves becomes aggravating after a while. Every wolf in the book is determined to "claim" Bella whether she likes it or not, and this is just annoying.

The writing flows smoothly and the dialogue is good but the plot becomes excessively convoluted with too many storylines that are never fully realized. Moreover, the resolution of the serial killer plot is ultimately unsatisfying. The sex scenes also become repetitive and superfluous and add nothing to Bella and Devlyn's relationship.

The secondary characters don't contribute much and even the hints at the next book don't sound that promising - the hero is a red wolf and after they are completely ridiculed in this one, I'm not that certain that I will be continuing.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
I won the 10th book in this series from GR First Reads program back in 2013. Unfortunately, that meant I had to collect the others in the series before reading it. Now that I have, I'm going to make my way through the series so that I can read the one I won. The first book was good. I love the "werewolf" aspect of the romance and it gets pretty steamy. But I also love the aspect of a mystery that needs to be solved, some drama going on in the main character's lives that needs to be fixed, and even a bit of thriller element going on. It wasn't just pure romance, there was a story there, something that just kept you reading. It will be interesting to see if the series follows the same characters or pack, or if we get a new couple each book. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
A well-written novel centered on the passion of two potential mates struggling to protect each other in the face of lustful, abusive pack alphas. The story, characters, and elements of the paranormal setting were somewhat unique and definitely interesting. A significant portion of the book was dedicated to the potential and eventually realized sizzle between the pair. Sometimes it seemed the story was just a device to surround the heated scenes with an interesting structure, and often the plot and characters seemed to simply be interspersed to lightly connect to the next heated encounter. This work should especially appeal to those readers who like a lot of heat, punctuated surrounded with a somewhat interesting story. ( )
  LocoLibros | Mar 28, 2016 |
To my mother, daughter and son, with all my love for their support in my writing endeavors
Prologue
Colorado
As soon as he stripped naked, he'd be hers.

Their Forbidden Love May Get Them Both Killed

Red werewolf Bella flees her adoptive pack of gray werewolves when the alpha male Volan tries to forcibly clam her as his mate. Her real love, beta male Devlyn, is willing to fight Volan to the death to claim her.
That problem pales, however, as a pack of red werewolves takes to killing human females in a crazed quest to claim Bella for their own.
Bella and Devlyn must defeat the rogue wolves before Devlyn's final confrontation with Volan.

Terry Spear is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,746,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible