Undone by Rachel Caine
486None20,981 (3.69)20

Standard urban fantasy. Cassiel amused me as a character, but Luis was poorly developed and I kind of resented the cliffhanger at the end. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Read from June 22 to 23, 2013

Listened for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.75
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.00

First Thought When Finished: I read this one before I read any of the Weather Warden series. I was hooked from the very beginning!

Story Thoughts: WOW! Just WOW! I am going to say it: this is the book that caused me to go back and read the Weather Wardens. I loved the world. I loved the characters. I loved the action. I loved the mystery. It was just a fantastic combination of all the elements that make me love Urban Fantasy. NO FREAKING LOVE TRIANGLE. Like I said, all the things that make me fall head over heels for a series.

Character Thoughts: Cassiel is one kick ass chic! She is smart, uber strong, and horrible with people but good with kids. I love this last trait because it means she is a little bit more straight-forward than people normally like. She is also thrown on her ass and she manages to stand up, shake it off, and go forward. She has some serious gumption. I am not going to say much about the rest of the characters because I don't want to spoil the plot. Let me just say: GRAB THE FREAKING HANKIES. You will need them.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Cynthia Holloway / Length: 9 hrs and 53 mins

I have listened to quite a few Cynthia Holloway narrations and this one did not disappoint. Cynthia is great with female voices and their ranges. She shows great emotion, pacing, and gives a little extra to make to the audio stand out.

Final Thoughts: I need to read book 2! That.Is.All. ( )
  thehistorychic | Aug 22, 2013 |
A djinn who won't follow orders is cast down to take human form - interesting premise, and a solid series kick-off. Cassiel isn't always sympathetic, but she's likeable. ( )
  SunnySD | Jul 27, 2013 |
Amazon received
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
The concept of an ancient being, composes of energy and immortal, being trapped in a human shell is interesting. Rachel Caine does not carry this as far (or as well) as THE HUNDRED THOUSAND KINGDOMS, but she certainly casts Cassiel as alien enough to be a compelling and unique main character. My only complaint is how quickly she becomes selfless and willing to sacrifice herself for humans, and how the cliff-hanger ending leaves littler or no resolution to Book One. The second issue is easily enough addressed, on to Book Two! ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
To Jean Stuntz, my dear and patient friend, who sat with me in a humid bar in Oklahoma City and helped me figure out what made Outcast Season a halfway good idea.
You, my dear, rock.
It only took one word to destroy me, after millennia of living in peace and security, and the word was No.

Once she was Cassiel, a Djinn of limitless power. Now, she has been reshaped in human flesh as punishment for defying her master—and living among the Weather Wardens, whose power she must tap into regularly or she will die. And as she copes with the emotions and frailties of her human condition, a malevolent entity threatens her new existence..

Once she was Cassiel, a Djinn of limitless power. Now, she has been reshaped in human flesh as punishment for defying her master--and living among the Weather Wardens, whose power she must tap into regularly or she will die.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible