Bones of Faerie

by Janni Lee Simner

Series: Bones of Faerie (1)

Fifteen-year-old Liza travels through war-ravaged territory in a struggle to bridge the faerie and human worlds and to bring back her mother while learning of her own powers and that magic can be controlled.

Post-apocalypse with a twist--the war was between humans and faeries. I'm a sucker for dystopias, and this one was unique and well drawn. ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
Simner's vision of a post-apocalyptic world due to the clash between faerie and mortals is one that rides the border between intriguing and horrifying. PLants have come to life and gone rogue in their quest for human blood, turning the world into a possible death trap and forcing humans to fight to even harvest enough food to eat. Any child or person with a trace of magic in Liza's town is quickly "dealt with," so when our young protagonist begins to have visions she is justifiably horrified. Fleeing her town in the company of a shape-shifting boy (Matthew) has unexpected consequences, as Liza discovers that many people have magical skills and are accepted for their talents in other towns less judgemental than her own. Liza's discoveries seem to be meant to turn the world upside down, since she is able to cross to the Faerie world through the magic of her visions and to bring back a faerie seed and call it into growth. This causes a return of the seasons to the mortal world, and seems to be the first step in restoring balance to both worlds. ( )
  JaimieRiella | Feb 25, 2021 |
Absolutely fantastic. Love, love, love this book and have already recommended it to several people (young and old). I'm not usually into teen apocalyptica, but this was brilliantly done, and I am already looking forward to re-reading it. Anxiously awaiting the email from the library telling me that I can come pick up Faerie Winter. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
While a bit predictable, Bones of Faerie establishes a fascinating post-apocalyptic setting in the aftermath of a devastating war against faeries. The book is young adult and deals with heady issues of abuse, survival, and loss, all through the eyes of an easy-to-relate-to heroine. ( )
  ladycato | Apr 21, 2018 |
War between Faerie and the humans devastated both realms. A generation later, teenaged Liza and her town are barely surviving among the wreckage. Liza's father has kept the town alive though ruthless destruction of anything touched by magic, so when Liza starts having visions she knows she has to leave immediately--or be killed by her own father.

I was fascinated by the post-apocalyptic world Liza lives in, where "good" plastic is prized and even a single dandelion is dangerous. The magic seems appropriately powerful and scary. And I loved reading Liza's progression from cringing believer to a purposeful problem-solver. This is a dark book--Liza is abused by her father for years, and her little sister is sacrificed and then comes back as a ghost baby. But it's not unrelievedly dark: Liza has allies against her father and eventually deals with him; her relationship with her ghost baby sister is actually really sweet. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

For Lary: 3333, 4556, 5645.
But you knew that, right?
"I had a sister once."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,318,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible