My dream of you by Nuala O'Faolain

My dream of you (edition 2001)

by Nuala O'Faolain

Member:klibrarything
Title:My dream of you
Authors:Nuala O'Faolain
Info:New York: Riverhead Books, 2001. 500 p. ; 24 cm.
Tags:Fiction

My Dream of You by Nuala O'Faolain

English (12)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Finnish (1)  All (15)
Irish born Kathleen De Burca has arrived at a crossroads in her life. Nearing fifty she loses her best friend and coworker to a heart attack. As a travel writer, Kathleen has lived in London for nearly thirty years and has never married or had children. Jimmy was the closest person she could call family. But, when she is presented with the lifetime achievement award she was supposed to share with her best friend she realizes there is more to life than travel miles and exotic venues. Why not go home to Ireland? Why not research a century old crime that has long fascinated her?
So begins Kathleen's story. Her past is as complicated as her future is a blank slate. Giving up everything, she lays herself bare to the tragedies of the past; remembrances of long ago transgressions; all the cringe-worthy scars of yesterday. But, as she says on page 408, "Tragedies end." And so they do. Kathleen learns to pick up the pieces and face the black slate of tomorrow with a different kind of courage than it took in order to come home.
As an aside, I felt the ending gave O'Faolain room for a sequel. Just saying.
**Molloy's reading of My Dream of You was fantastic! ** ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 23, 2017 |
As an aside, I felt the ending gave O'Faolain room for a sequel. Just saying. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Sep 23, 2017 |
This is an intriguing book which moves from past to present with surprising plot twists. People are forced to make difficult decisions and come to terms with the reality of their lives. Often sad but in the end accepting. ( )
  janglen | Oct 22, 2013 |
This is a hard book to sum up with plotlines and character descriptions. It is brilliantly written, wry, compassionate. I learned about O'Faolain, the Famine, myself. Not an easy read in every way, but very much worthwhile.

May 2014: when reviewing Cecilia Ahern's A Place Called Here, I wrote:

I can't help thinking of a truly powerful novel, also by an Irish woman writer, also about a pretty screwed up woman who almost inadvertently stumbles down a path to insight and healing--[My Dream of You] by [[Nuala O’Faolain]]. The difference is profound. O’Faolain is not attempting to lead us into any great insight, she is just telling her story, but what a contrast. I was transported by the writing, the character, the story, perhaps because the author in that case was writing from truth, not from plot outline or metaphor. When her character screws up, it is painful. When she does herself a favour, it is a joy. Ahern's protagonist on the other hand is almost a caricature, and although in real life I would greatly sympathize with her, in the book I am merely curious. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Jul 17, 2012 |
Lust mit Liebe verwechselt: Die Erwartungen sind hoch, wenn Elke Heidenreich ein Buch empfiehlt. Was dem Leser hier jedoch geboten wird, ist enttäuschenderweise eher ein Geschichtchen als eine Geschichte, nach dem Motto "Irland zieht immer". Kathleen, Irin, 50 Jahre alte Reisejournalistin bricht in ihre verhasste Heimat auf, um das Schicksal von Marianne zu recherchieren, einer englischen Lady des 19. Jhdts., die wegen umtriebigen Sexlebens von ihrem Gatten verstoßen wurde. Die Ergebnisse der Recherche (schuldig oder unschuldig) bleiben ebenso merkwürdig hinter Schleiern verborgen, wie z.B. Kathleens Eltern, die neben dem schrecklichen Irland (?) selbstredend an den verkorksten Lebenswegen ihrer drei bis xx? Kinder schuldig sind. Dafür wird dem Leser aber eine ausgiebige Schilderung von Kathleens äußerst üppigem und wahllosem Sexleben geboten incl. Details, z.B.: Welche Frau hat nicht schonmal davon geträumt, dass ihr Lover beim Sex die Zähne rausnimmt und auf die Bettdecke legt, um mit den blanken Kiefern an ihren Nippeln zu nagen?! (Das ist ja fast so schön wie der Tampon-Spruch von Prinz Charles!) Wer's mag... Kathleen treibt die Angst vor Einsamkeit um, hierunter versteht sie allerdings in erster Linie die Sorge, dass niemand mehr mit ihr das Laken teilt. Nanu? Diese Verwechselung kennen wir doch eigentlich nur von Männern?!
  r1hard | Nov 22, 2009 |
We used to stay in bed most of the weekend, Hugo and I, when we lived in the attic of a rambling house with pinnacles and gables, among chestnut trees, on the edge of a park in south London.

From one of Ireland's most talented journalists, an extraordinary fiction debut, compelling, colourful and romantic. Kathleen is a 49-year-old travel writer, an Irishwoman based in London who has not been back to Ireland since she was twenty. Her home is her office, her family and friends a few close colleagues. She has not experienced passion since she was young. When, over the course of a few weeks, the props of her life fall away one after another, it is to passion that she turns - not in her own life, but in the fragmentary account of a scandalous affair in 19th century rural Ireland, between the wife of a big Anglo-Irish landlord, and her servant. And so Kathleen is drawn back to Ireland, to see whether she can find out more...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:37 -0400)

Kathleen de Burca, an Irish travel writer based in London, is forced to realize the effects of her refugee existance, so when she returns to Ireland to investigate a love affair that took place during the Famine, she meets a man who promises to alter herlife forever.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,540,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible