Tapping the Dream Tree by Charles de Lint

Tapping the Dream Tree (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Charles de Lint

Member:ame73
Title:Tapping the Dream Tree
Authors:Charles de Lint
Info:Tor Books (2002), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, Completed Books
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy - urban, fantasy - short stories

Tapping the Dream Tree (Newford) by Charles de Lint (2002)

This is a hefty collection of de Lint's Newford short stories, several of them published previously available only in limited edition chapbooks or collections, and one of them, "The Witching Hour," is original to this collection. There's a good mix here of the optimistic and the grim, familiar Newford characters and new faces. Jilly, Geordie, and Christy each have the lead in stories of their own, while others feature new characters or characters who have been minor figures in other Newford tales. There's some variety in the settings, as well, with Christy's story taking place during a book tour, and others set more in the hills around Newford than in the city itself.

"Freak" and "The Witching Hour" are undeniably grim in tone, while "Big City Littles" is completely charming, and "Seven Wild Sisters," my favorite of the collection, is a satisfying, adventurous modern fairy tale. Other stories in the collection strik e a wide range of moods and tones, and the overall quality is high. This is enjoable reading for a Newford fan, and probably a good introduction for someone not familiar with de Lint's work. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I'm not a great reader of short stories, but I really like Charles de Lint and especially his Newford books. This collection of 17 stories and 1 novella is simply wonderful. Lots of magic, lots of music, some funny, some quite dark in tone, but they are beautifully written. Old friends like Jilly and Christy pop in and we find out a bit more about them.
My favourites in the set are "Ten For The Devil", (fancy meeting Robert Johnson here) and "Pixel Pixies". I just love the idea of a hob in a bookshop, I could do with one for my study!
Off to the USA in August and hoping to pick up some more de Lint books while I'm there! ( )
  johnwbeha | Nov 18, 2015 |
I love Charles de Lint's short stories. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
Another trip into the world of Newford, in the form of stories all taking place before The Onion Girl. Old friends are revisited, new ones are discovered. Some of the stories are light, some are more in the vein of de Lint's alter ego, Samuel Key. One of the best stories in the collection is Sign here, a tale rendered solely through dialog. ( )
  quantumbutterfly | Oct 1, 2012 |
After a couple of grim novels in a row, followed by a nonfiction, I needed something like Charles de Lint’s fantasy to clear my mental palate. This thick volume of short stories (all but one being reprints) did the job. These are Newford stories, my favorite fantasy place.

Newford is a special place. It’s a fairly big city, somewhere in North America, with brand new parts and old, run down parts. There are a lot of artistic folks living there, and the city shares its space with magical, non-human people, too. There are faeries and hobs and witches, and these European magical beings rub elbows old spirits of the First Nations. The barrier between worlds is thin in Newford, it seems.

Like any anthology, the material varies in quality. Some are brilliant stories with fully realized characters, while some are slight. A few, like ‘Wingless Angels’ and ‘Many Worlds are Born Tonight’ are unusually dark for de Lint- fantasy noir, the grim side that all places have.

I had read over half of the stories in this book before (including the novella ‘Seven Wild Sisters’, which was originally published as a standalone novel), but I enjoyed revisiting the ones I read as much as discovering the ones unfamiliar to me. ( )
1 vote lauriebrown54 | Mar 31, 2012 |

Charles de Lintprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vess, CharlesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Jenna Felice
You'll be missed more than you could ever know.
"Are you sure you want off here?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312868405, Paperback)

Tapping the Dream Tree collects 18 stories by bestselling contemporary fantasy master Charles de Lint. One story, "The Witching Hour," is original to this volume, with a few others taken from limited-edition chapbooks; the remaining tales have been drawn from an impressive diversity of magazines and anthologies. The stories are set in and around de Lint's mythic, haunted American city of Newford, and fans will recognize several characters from de Lint's popular series.

The powerful story "Ten for The Devil" is a superb choice for an opener: it showcases de Lint's literary strengths and treats of his recurring themes of magic, music, creativity, and human worth. Musician Staley Cross's grandmother has always warned her to be careful when she plays her blue fiddle. But Staley never quite believed that her music could rouse dangerous magic... until one night, playing in a faraway field, she discovers the Devil doesn't only go down to Georgia. First published before the filming of O Brother, Where Art Thou?, "Ten for the Devil" draws upon the same crossroads myth as does the movie, but takes a very different road as it follows Staley's search for her only hope of soul survival: a mysterious bluesman known as Robert. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:50 -0400)

"The city of Newford could be any contemporary North American city ... except that magic lurks in its music, in its art, in the shadows of its grittiest streets, where mythic beings walk disguised. And its people are like you and me, each looking for a bit of magic to shape their lives and transform their fate." "Now, in this latest volume, we meet a bluesman hiding from the Devil; a Buffalo Man at the edge of death; a murderous ghost looking for revenge; a wolf man on his first blind date; and many more. We're reunited with Jilly, Geordie, Sophie, the Crow Girls, and other characters whose lives have become part of the great Newford myth. And de Lint takes us beyond Newford's streets to the pastoral hills north of the city, where magic and music have a flavor different but powerful still."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,627,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible