Fault Line: A Novel by Barry Eisler

Fault Line: A Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Barry Eisler (Author)

Member:mcbreader
Title:Fault Line: A Novel
Authors:Barry Eisler (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2009), Edition: First Edition, 308 pages
Tags:suspense

Fault Line by Barry Eisler (2009)

A Clean Kill in Tokyo by Barry Eisler (wdlaurie)
    wdlaurie: Eisler's first novel, with John Rain, gets off to a rollicking good start and keeps delivering.
    The Killer Ascendant by Barry Eisler (wdlaurie)
    wdlaurie: Another title by Eisler, with John Rain

English (96)  Spanish (1)  All languages (97)
An awful book, though the plot, at a high level, was pretty interesting. Mediocre writing, terrible dialogue, silly dynamics between brothers, and a ridiculous ending sink it, though. It's readable in an action-novel sense, but if you're looking for something well-written and intricately plotted, this isn't it. ( )
  gmmartz | Jun 21, 2016 |
Brothers Alex and Ben Treven are as different as two brothers can be. Alex is a brilliant, up and coming lawyer in a Silicon Valley law firm and Ben is a government assassin who hasn't had contact with Alex in over seven years. When an inventor Alex represents is murdered Alex begins to question if the murder has anything to do with the new encryption program his client was working on. Then within hours the patent clerk working on the invention coincidently dies of natural causes and Alex himself is attacked in his home. With no where else to turn he calls upon Ben for help in staying alive.

This was my favorite Barry Eisler book. I especially liked the character interaction between the two brothers. They each felt the other was at fault for the rift in their family stemming from a tragedy when the boys were in high school. At different times in the book I'd find myself rooting for one brother or the other while hoping for reconciliation. The ending was realistic and not too over the top or too "happily ever after". I highly recommend this book for all suspense/thriller lovers. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
Started January 16th, 2014.
Lend this with Amazon Prime.
Reality factor: very high. Special Ops, Silicon Valley, Cryptography, Patents - all very plausible integrated in this thriller.
So why only 4 stars?
Somehow it was not the page-turner for me I anticipated. Some romance I could have done without, but nicely done and a short non-detailed sex-scene.
While it has no mistakes I noticed, and has a high standard of (american) english, it felt wrong, I cannot put my finger on the reason.
Very good, and this is why I gave 4 stars and not 3, as I guessed during reading, being at least 50% into the book: the ending and the information after that. This book provides a section with further reading for the interested mind. In my ebook these are clickable links.
So someone has done his homework and done it right. This is missing from a lot of books, which are based on reality and not entirely fiction.
The author was working for the CIA for a few years and knows his stuff.
The scenes which explain the technical stuff for non-computer-safy-people are spot on, both not too deep and explaining it right.
Also, make no mistake, after the Snowden-revelations (which are still on-going), the theme of this book is more relevant than ever.
The ending also shows that this is nothing like the uncritical books by [a:Brad Thor|5088|Brad Thor|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1201288917p2/5088.jpg] which left a bad aftertaste in my mouth after reading his hurray-special-ops-we-like-to-torture-scenes.
And this no black-and-white-ending, more different shades of grey, and this is both good, and realistic (for me, at least).
Other books (the action and the decisions by the people in the books are not as good, being desk-jockeys the action and dangerous situations are not too realistic) with similar themes: [b:Trojan Horse|13538906|Trojan Horse|Mark Russinovich|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1332949569s/13538906.jpg|19101258] and [b:Zero Day|9763010|Zero Day|Mark Russinovich|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1312002496s/9763010.jpg|14652376].
So, I recommend this one, and will certainly read the next one in this series, [b:Inside Out|6947577|Inside Out (Ben Treven, #2)|Barry Eisler|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320410861s/6947577.jpg|7170752]. ( )
  Ingo.Lembcke | Oct 27, 2015 |
A pretty good thriller. I liked Ben, the hero, better than John Rain. Wonderful mystery & great ending, but pretty typical "shoot 'em up, bang, bang" as my boys used to call media of this type. Tough guy op, a gorgeous girl, & some real bad guys to whack. It's all that, but a bit more as well. Not everyone is as good or bad as they seem & there's a brother & old family history to contend with, too. Anyway, it was fun & relaxing. I think I'll read another. (Think potato chips.)

Eisler is an author I've been interested in, not so much for his writing as for his decision to leave one of the Big 6 publishers & start self-publishing. If you're not familiar with this, you should look up [a:J.A. Konrath|137270|J.A. Konrath|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1238279777p2/137270.jpg], author of the Jack Daniels cop thrillers, [b:Be the Monkey: A Conversation About the New World of Publishing Between Authors Barry Eisler and Joe Konrath|10890413|Be the Monkey A Conversation About the New World of Publishing Between Authors Barry Eisler and Joe Konrath|Barry Eisler|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327799242s/10890413.jpg|15806191]. I read the original on his blog & then got a copy for free off Smashwords, but now it's $1 on Amazon. It brings up a lot of points about book publishing in general & how it is changing. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
Ben Treven, fresh from killing some people (including an FSB agent) as one of his assignments is contacted by his estranged brother for help. His law firm was working with a software program called Obsidian - new fancy, fast encryption. Now two of the people involved have been killed and files taken.

So the program is more than it seems, given the level of interest and Ben soon works out his actual brand of help is needed.

http://freesf.strandedinoz.com/wordpress/2012/03/fault-line-barry-eisler/ ( )
  BlueTysonSS | Mar 19, 2012 |
For Naomi, Dan, and Maya, with love
The last thing Richard Hilzoy thought before the bullet entered his brain was, Things are really looking up.
(Ben) Because deep down, he'd known what his father really wanted. The old man didn't trust Wally and wanted to be sure that Ben - Ben personally - would get Katie home safely.

In Silicon Valley, the eccentric inventor of a new encryption application is murdered in an apparent carjacking. In Istanbul, a cynical undercover operative receives a frantic call from his estranged younger brother. When Alex Treven, a patent lawyer who has been working for the inventor, is attacked in his apartment, he is convinced he is the target of a conspiracy, and his brother, Ben, is his only hope. Setting aside their differences, Alex and Ben come together to find out who is behind the attacks. They soon learn that forces in America and abroad are involved in a high-stakes struggle to take hold of the technology, and now both of their lives are in danger.

When an inventor client is murdered and he himself is attacked, attorney Alex Treven reluctantly turns for help to his estranged older brother, Ben, an undercover agent in the War on Terror.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Barry Eisler's book Fault Line was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,545,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible