Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) by…

Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2) (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Jacqueline Winspear

2,1991124,658 (3.88)251
Maisie Dobbs is back and this time she has been hired to find a wealthy grocery magnate's daughter who has fled from home. What seems a simple case at first becomes complicated when Maisie learns of the recent violent deaths of three of the heiress's old friends. Is there a connection between her mysterious disappearance and the murders? Who would kill such charming young women? As Maisie investigates, she discovers that the answers to all her questions lie in the unforgettable agony of The Great War.… (more)
Member:roshbaby
Title:Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, Book 2)
Authors:Jacqueline Winspear
Info:Penguin Books (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 336 pages

Birds of a Feather by Jacqueline Winspear (2004)

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, trinker, SusanNyhuis, Ashley_Hoss_820

Maisie Dobbs is hired by grocery magnate Joseph Waite to find and return his runaway, adult daughter, Charlotte. However, it quickly becomes clear that Charlotte's disappearance has some sort of tie to the recent well-publicized murder of another woman in London. Now Maisie must not only find Charlotte but determine what binds her to the murdered woman.

This second entry in the Maisie Dobbs series is a sedately paced mystery. Winspear does an excellent job of setting the scene in London in 1930 and makes the world seem very real immediately. The mystery is well-crafted, even if I had the murderer figured out before the big reveal (although not too far in advance so I mostly felt smug rather than bored). However, there are some scenes that feel a bit... mystical and it's unclear whether Maisie is finding some clues because of her Buddhist training, her woman's intuition, or some other slightly beyond the normal ability. But it feels a bit out of place in this otherwise logical mystery series which otherwise feels reminiscent of Agatha Christie's and Arthur Conan Doyle's more deductive detectives. Enjoyable enough that I plan to continue with the series. ( )
1 vote MickyFine | Nov 29, 2019 |
I enjoyed the "modern" feel of this novel, with a believable integration of such issues as drug abuse and feminist nationalism. The mystery does have real tension, which is a weakness of some of the other novels. A good mixture of clues given and information to be discovered. I like Dene a lot more than her future paramour. A star knocked off for the rather dramatic catching of the killer. ( )
  charlyk | Nov 15, 2019 |
I enjoyed this second in the series as much as the first. Maisie continues to delight as she uses her intellect, intuition and other skills to not only unravel crimes but also delve into matters of the human heart. An interesting subplot was how her assistant Billy was dealing with an addiction and she helped him find a way to overcome it. The means that she used seemed a bit far fetched,but it was satisfying to see him put on the road to recovery. I highly enjoyed this and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys mysteries, strong female characters, and history. ( )
  debs4jc | May 10, 2019 |
Maisie Dobbs discovers common evidence at three murder scenes in her investigation of a missing woman. Father injured and Billy needs some mending as well. The book is fairly well put together - easy read. ( )
  addunn3 | Jan 27, 2019 |
Ever so improbable, but easy to enjoy. ( )
  themulhern | Jul 19, 2018 |
...Maisie makes it her business to help the speechless survivors of war -- the women who silently visit the graves, the fathers who cannot speak their sons' names, even those broken souls who hope that murdering the living might bring back the dead. That sensibility makes her a heroine to cherish.

Not that Maisie is some glum, humorless missionary. Well, humorless, yes, but glum, not at all.

Jacqueline Winspearprimary authorall editionscalculated
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
How will you fare, sonny, how will you fare
In the far off winter night
When you sit by the fire in the old man's chair
And your neighbours talk of the fight?
Will you slink away, as it were from a blow,
Your old head shamed and bent?
Or say, "I was not the first to go,
But I went, thank God, I went"?

-- from the song "Fall In" by Harold Begbie, 1914
To Kenneth Leech
1919-2002

During my childhood I was lucky to have Ken Leech as my teacher. In the years of my growing up and into adulthood, I was privileged to count him among my friends.
Maisie Dobbs shuffled the papers on her desk into a neat pile and placed them in a manila folder.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,519,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible