Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies…

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (edition 1990)

by Neil Gaiman (Author), Terry Pratchett (Author)

31,01073075 (4.26)2 / 1329
The world is preparing to come to an end according to the Divine Plan recorded in the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (recorded 1655). Meanwhile, a fussy angel and a fast-living demon have grown fond of living among the earth's mortals for many millennia and are not looking forward to the apocalypse. If Crowley and Aziraphale are going to stop it from happening, they must find and kill the Antichrist.… (more)
Member:Stinson_Library
Title:Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Authors:Neil Gaiman (Author)
Other authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Workman Pub Co (1990), 354 pages

Work Information

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett

Recently added byMiniOtter, private library, ejmw, karel_maes, cbudlong, LesFleming, ArcherKel, ehansen, zeej92
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (ShelfMonkey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (flonor)
    The Gates by John Connolly (midnightbex)
    midnightbex: Dealing with a similar end of the world theme, The Gates tells an entirely different but equally hilarious story about the apocalypse. As an added bonus, there is also the occasional amusing and often diverting foot note to look forward to.
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (elbakerone)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (yokai, jscape2000)
    jscape2000: These authors revel in taking the things you think you know, turning them sideways and shaking them.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    A Sudden Wild Magic by Diana Wynne Jones (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These two books share a certain cheeky darkness and both have fantastic eccentric characters and wildly inventive plots
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (NatalieAsIs)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (electronicmemory)
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (brakketh)
    brakketh: British humor and modern approach to myths.
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Gaiman has acknowledged his debt to Zelanzy. It echoes in Good Omens.
    The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes (hairball)
    hairball: This is kind of an obvious one, but hey! someone has to point out the obvious...
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor combined with the supernatural/fantasy genre. Barking aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (infiniteletters)
    Breakfast with the Ones You Love by Eliot Fintushel (octopedingenue)
    Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese (Awfki)
    Awfki: Not nearly as good but another humorous take on the apocalypse.
    If at Faust You Don't Succeed by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (LunarEclipse)
    Before and After by Matthew Thomas (TheDivineOomba)
    TheDivineOomba: Very similiar in theme and quality, but Good Omens is a better book.

1990s (2)
Read (56)

English (703)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (729)
Even wondered what Armageddon would be like if it took place in England; involved a motorcycle gang; chatty Nuns; an old Bentley and a lost book? If so read this hilarious novel.

There are so many things I could say about this book, but most of them would involve spoilers and one-liners, so I'm going to trust you to read it, and find out for yourselves what had me chuckling at every turn of the page. ( )
  Melline | Aug 13, 2022 |
I can't believe it took me so much time to buy this book and to read it. It was written by two of my favourite authors so it would at least be good.

The book is funny but most of all it is clever. I loved the references, the characters, the jokes. I loved it so much! You will need some pop culture and biblical knowledge to get all the jokes and references. It is not essential though. I think you still can enjoy it, but it would not be as great.
The plot is good. The apocalypse is coming you know. It is interesting to see how everyone is reacting.

Of course the best and most interesting characters for me were Crowley, Aziraphale and Adam. Their side of the story was the best and they had more character development than any of the others. I also really liked that the famous DEATH from "Discworld" makes an appearance.

There were times I could tell whose idea was Pratchett's and whose was Gaiman's, but overall it was a good team work and the authors seem to have had fun while writing this book. I also really liked the little extras like the interview and the thoughts of the authors about one another. And that picture!

If you're a fan of the authors you will most definitely like this because it has their writing style and imagination all over it. ( )
  elderlingfae | Aug 11, 2022 |
I readily admit that I very rarely read any coauthored books that aren’t nonfiction. It’s not any prejudice on my part, at least, I don’t think it is, it’s just that they’re almost never on my radar. But Good Omens is one such exception; I don’t remember being aware of it until I saw the Amazon prime show with my family and being impressed by how faithfully it captures [a:Terry Pratchett|1654|Terry Pratchett|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1235562205p2/1654.jpg]’s worldview and sense of humour, which makes it the closest thing to a worthwhile Discworld adaptation there is. Then I found out that the source material was written by two authors who I happen to quite like, and I knew I had to read it.

Good Omens is an urban fantasy novel by [a:Neil Gaiman|1221698|Neil Gaiman|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1234150163p2/1221698.jpg] and Terry Pratchett set in a world much like ours, except the Bible is actual history and the creationists were right all along; the earth really is 6000 years old, Heaven and Hell are very real and actively fight over human souls, and fossils only exist to torment archeologists so that God can laugh at their suffering. God and Satan are preparing for war as the Antichrist comes into his own and the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse converge on a small town in England. There’s just one problem: no one has any idea who the Antichrist is yet due to a comedy of errors in the hospital where the young prince of darkness was planted, so Crowley and Aziraphale, friends from opposite sides of the aisle, take it upon themselves to find the real Antichrist and hopefully avert, or at least delay Armageddon.

If you’re familiar with both of these writers, you might find there to be a perceived lack of Gaiman’s influence in the final product, and while I thought so too the first time I read it, I don’t entirely agree now, even if Pratchett’s style is far more obvious. Indeed, it’s so obvious that well over half the book feels like it could just as easily have been another Discworld book. The most obvious Pratchett-ism is the footnotes, a feature from Discworld that carried over and serve more or less the same purpose, to flesh out the world and its history in the form of comic asides or to simply provide jokes that otherwise might not fit naturally into the meat of the text, though there is one crucial way it differs from the Discworld format: several of them are also there to explain certain aspects of British culture to readers from beyond the Union. In other words, it actively explains some of its jokes, but I’d definitely say it’s needed considering that Gaiman already practically had a built-in American audience from writing the story for DC’s Sandman comics, so I assume he and Pterry anticipated that there’d be many an American lost in trying to comprehend several fundamentally British jokes.

The way the children in this book are written also feels distinctly Pratchett; you know how in most, if not every Discworld book there’s a moment where two or more characters talk about random bollocks that they often have at best inadequate knowledge of, with at least one party trying to shut down a certain train of thought because they either don’t know enough about it or it doesn’t line up with their limited lived experience? That’s more or less how the Them talk, though the age difference alone is what separates it from those Discworld moments; in Discworld, everyone’s limited by varying degrees of literacy, but the Them… well, they’re children, of course they know sod all. Not to say they aren’t smart in their own ways; in fact, that’s a crucial component of the book’s climax, but they often talk about subjects well beyond what they’re probably being taught in school in a time when the internet wasn’t developed or widely available enough to give them the information they need.

Also, you might notice a certain connection to Discworld if you’ve read far enough into it: they both share an avatar of death. Not the Discworld’s incarnation, though they share the same formatting of caps and small caps. No, this is Azrael, the death of all deaths, the death all other avatars of death answer to, a presence which [b:Reaper Man|34517|Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1389211958l/34517._SY75_.jpg|1796454] shows to be so all-encompassing that he has an hourglass for the universe as awhole. Also not to be confused with the Islamic angel of death, though he does have some potentially angelic qualities. And if anyone’s wondering whether there’s any connection or correlation between Agnes Nutter and Agnes Nitt, there isn’t, because this book was published at least two years before [b:Lords and Ladies|34529|Lords and Ladies (Discworld, #14; Witches #4)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1469186110l/34529._SY75_.jpg|1185086], when Nitt was first introduced.

Damn, I’ve talked so much about what Pterry might have done that I’ve neglected to talk about Neil Gaiman’s potential contributions to the book, and sorry to disappoint the Gaiman fans but I’ll probably have less to say about him than I did for Pterry. It’s not that I consider him an inferior author or wordsmith, or that he demonstrably contributed less to the final product’s writing, construction, and style. I’ve read all his books and for the most part liked what I read, it’s just that Pratchett was so prolific that I feel far more familiar with what makes a Pratchett novel a Pratchett novel than I do with what makes Gaiman Gaiman, but that’s hardly going to stop me from trying because Gaiman deserves just as much recognition.

Who wrote what is ultimately immaterial, but there are certainly some moments that definitely feel more informed by Gaiman’s sensibilities than Pterry’s. I speak mostly of just about every scene featuring Hastur and Ligur or the Four Bikers, which have a certain darkness that I’ve never found in Discworld, though that’s probably just because I’ve yet to read [b:Jingo|47990|Jingo (Discworld, #21; City Watch, #4)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1327921813l/47990._SY75_.jpg|1128623], [b:Hogfather|34532|Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1416342611l/34532._SY75_.jpg|583655], [b:Night Watch|47989|Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch, #6)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1320518310l/47989._SY75_.jpg|1712283], or [b:Monstrous Regiment|34511|Monstrous Regiment (Discworld, #31; Industrial Revolution, #3)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1375908503l/34511._SX50_.jpg|2073281]. There is still humour to be found in such moments, for the most part, but the humour mostly isn’t the sort that comes from the joy of wordplay and the manifold possibilities of the English language that typifies Discworld. No, there’s a sort of grim irony to those passages, and Hastur and Ligur appear to be prototypes for Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar from [b:Neverwhere|14497|Neverwhere (London Below, #1)|Neil Gaiman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1348747943l/14497._SX50_.jpg|16534], but it balances out the lightness of the rest of the book nicely and brings home the severity and disaster of the coming cosmic war.

I probably wouldn’t be writing about this aspect of the book if I didn’t think people would be asking my opinion about it, but Good Omens can be hella trans if you’re actively looking for queer subtext or happen to be trans yourself. I don’t know if Pratchett’s said anything about it, but Gaiman confirmed that angels and demons in the world of Good Omens are born sexless, they can take whatever form they damn well please and present as any gender they feel like. So they’re functionally agender, and it was a ripe opportunity to write a genderfluid character if either author had the balls for it or thought they were up to the task. I’m only a binary trans woman, so I’ve no idea if angel/demon biology and identity covers the entire nonbinary spectrum, but it’s certainly something a lot of nonbinary readers have found comfort in. Again, I’ve no idea what Pratchett’s thoughts were on the queerness and queer potential of Good Omens, but Gaiman’s thoughts on it seem to be “Imma let the enbies have this; cis readers can argue all they want about how they’re not actually trans because they’re not human and don’t experience corporeality the same way we do, but the nonbinaries deserve to have this, so I’ll let them.” As for actual personal reading: Crowley gives me strong trans man vibes, if for no other reason than this particular scene. Hastur and Ligur have just given him the newborn Antichrist, and they ask him to sign some paperwork. His chosen name isn’t good enough for them, so they demand his “real” name, and he writes it, but not without the most dejected expression. Aziraphale's mostly just camp, on the other hand, but camp can also be androgynous in its own way.

Something else I expect people will want to know from me because of the personal stakes is my thoughts on the friendship between Aziraphale, the world’s most punctilious bookstore owner and collector of occult texts, and Crowley, the world’s most abusive horticulturalist. More specifically, I expect some people will want from me an answer to the question of “do they gay?” to which I say… probably??? I mean, Gaiman doesn’t seem to think they’re gay, at least not in the typical sense, because they’re genderless, but they do still present as men for the most part. Maybe it’s just because I barely have a social life and rarely feel that strongly about others, but there’s almost nothing in the text that screams “romance” to me. Oh sure, they’d do anything for each other, and their relationship means so much to the both of them that they appear more than willing to die for one another, which I’m sure comes off as romantic as hell for some readers who aren’t me, but at most, they just seem to be an old couple who want to live peacefully without any interference from Heaven or Hell, which… actually does sound potentially kind of queer now that I think about it.

Failing that, if I do feel like reading any gayness into it, then I’d say they’re queerplatonic goals; if you’re straight and/or cis and have only just heard that word, well… it’s difficult to explain simply, concisely or concretely because feelings are weird and sometimes they seem even more esoteric when queerness is involved, but as I understand it, a queerplatonic relationship is one where both parties are united by queerness of some sort, and such a relationship is typified by intimacy and commitment far beyond what most people would consider a typical friendship, and indeed that commitment and intimacy is often what people would expect from a romantic relationship, but there isn’t romance involved, they just deeply value each other’s company. And that’s more or less what I think the state of Aziraphale and Crowley’s relationship is. They could also be asexual, aromantic, or both, I don't think it's that big a leap; there’s nothing visibly sexual about their relationship, and for all the gay potential they just seem to want a relationship. Or alternatively, we could just say they’re good friends because I've always hated the societal assumption that men wanting emotional intimacy and deeper connections with other men is inherently gay and gayness isn't masculine and therefore worthy of ridicule, that's a notion which should have died in a fire a long time ago.

Whatever the state of their connection is, it’s certainly a hell of a lot more convincing than the romance between Newt and Anathema; by themselves they’re alright, and I like what they individually bring to the story, but it just doesn’t feel real to me. It’s like they’re only together because they thought there needed to be a romance and Anathema’s the only 20-something with two X-chromosomes, which is especially jarring when Armageddon is about to happen and the house they’re in threatens to come down on their heads, but they just ignore the threat and bang. It’s the only real mark against the book in my estimation, but otherwise Good Omens is just delightful; it has such charming leads that sometimes it feels like hardly anyone else is needed to carry the plot, the comedy will surely please most any Discworld fan or perhaps even sell some neophytes on it, and it has just about everything I like about both authors. ( )
  collapsedbuilding | Aug 10, 2022 |
After reading "American Gods" by Gaiman, I can see where his influence and writings come into play in this book. I haven't fully read anything by Terry Pratchett so I'm sure that hurt me in seeing where his influence came in. Overall, this was a fun and quick read. There were several characters I enjoyed reading like the angel, Aziraphale, and demon, Crowley, and there were some I didn't as much enjoy. I thought Adam was rather boring for being the antichrist even though the story called him to be a bit more subdued. Pulsifer was very uninteresting but his character was suppose to be quirky and bland. Really, Aziraphale and Crowley were the best written and I believe it's the characters we most get to know. Everyone else feels like underdeveloped side characters which is odd after reading "American Gods" where it seems like everyone is flushed out in detail.

Quite frankly, that's my biggest complaint about this book. At just under 400 pages it does seem really disjointed. There are plot points that pop up rather quickly and jarred me. It doesn't seem as if there is enough detail that really gave me a clear picture of all that was happening. For example, UFOs and aliens just appear and it goes from affecting one of the main characters to just being mentioned that it's happening around the world. Where they come from is hinted at and while it's nice that not everything is clearly spelled out (a staple of all things I've read of Giaman's) it seemed a bit unnecessary when it happens again and again.

That being said, it is a quick read and rather fun. There are some homages to movies like "The Omen" and "The Exorcist" and other media like that. The interactions between the good and bad guys were comical and the most interesting. The ending is a bit of a let down with the very, very end being a nice smiling "ohhhhh, I get it" moment.

A quick read, a few entertaining characters, a story that doesn't NEED to spell out everything, and some subdued comedy makes for a good read. Final Grade - B- ( )
  agentx216 | Aug 1, 2022 |
Just finished Good Omens. 1/10, the first 100 pages are okay, and there is a few funny parts, like the alien that randomly appears and comments on the high atmospheric CO2 levels. Heh. Otherwise, a complete waste of time, the events of armageddon effectively happen in a vacuum that containing the most boring characters (the kids), while the other 6 primary (adult) character's stories are almost irrelevant to the events. Worse, the angel/demon characters (arguable the book's biggest draw) are absent for nearly 180 pages after being the focus of the first 120. It's hard to stay invested in any character. One side-character is there purely for comic relief; he's a massive bigot. He ever learns the error-of-his-ways, or grows as a character, instead, at the end he gets the 'whore' (his words) and lives happily ever after. There's actually quite a few homophobic/xenophobic jokes, and none of them seem introspective. Being gay or having a funny accent IS the joke. It's offputting. Gave my copy to a secondhand bookshop this morning. Do not recommend, should have DNF'd. Hopefully the TV show is better. ( )
  EllisNZ | Jul 17, 2022 |
The book tackles things most science fiction and fantasy writers never think about, much less write. It does it in a straightforward manner. It's about Predestination and Free Will, about chaos and order, about human beings, their technology and their belief systems. When the book is talking about the big questions, it's a wow. It leaves room in both the plot and the reader's reactions for the characters to move around in and do unexpected but very human things.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Howard Waldrop (pay site) (Dec 20, 1990)

''Good Omens'' is a direct descendant of ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,'' a vastly overpraised book or radio program or industry or something that became quite popular in Britain a decade ago when it became apparent that Margaret Thatcher would be in office for some time and that laughs were going to be hard to come by...

Obviously, it would be difficult to write a 354-page satirical novel without getting off a few good lines. I counted four... But to get to this material, the reader must wade through reams and reams of undergraduate dreck: recycled science-fiction cliches about using the gift of prophesy to make a killing in the stock market; shopworn jokes about American television programs (would you believe the book includes a joke about ''Have Gun, Will Travel''?); and an infuriating running gag about Queen, a vaudevillian rock group whose hits are buried far in the past and should have been buried sooner.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew York Times, Joe Queenan (Nov 7, 1990)

When a scatterbrained Satanist nun goofs up a baby-switching scheme and delivers the infant Antichrist to the wrong couple, it's just the beginning of the comic errors in the divine plan for Armageddon which this fast-paced novel by two British writers zanily details... Some humor is strictly British, but most will appeal even to Americans "and other aliens."
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 20, 1990)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tennant, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, GrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
CAVEAT

Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
The authors would like to join the demon Crowley in dedicating this book to the memory of

G. K. CHESTERTON

A man who knew what was going on.
It was a nice day.
It'd be a funny old world, he reflected, if demons went round trusting one another.
And there was never an apple, in Adam's opinion, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it.
In one sense there was just clear air overhead. In another, stretching off to infinity, were the hosts of Heaven and Hell, wingtip to wingtip. If you looked really closely, and had been specially trained, you could tell the difference.
The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five....

5. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I tell you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone withe half an oz. of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @ *"AE@;!*
The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty-seven verses in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty-four.

They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget me own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

It appears that these verses were inserted during the proof stage. In those days it was common practice for printers to hang proof sheets to the wooden beams outside their shops, for the edification of the populace and some free proofreading, and since the whole print run was subsequently burned anyway, no one bothered to take up this matter with the nice Mr. A. Ziraphale, who ran the bookshop two doors along and was always so helpful with the translations, and whose handwriting was instantly recognizable.
This work represents the book Good Omens. Please note that there is an unabridged audiobook edition, the narrators of which include Michael Sheen and David Tennant; please be careful not to combine this work with any adaptation (such as the TV adaptation starting Michael Sheen and David Tennant).

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea.
The novel's message:
"Heaven. Hell. They are both dull.
On Earth, there's sushi!"
(WilliamOrmond)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,244,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible