Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies…

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett

25,45158776 (4.27)2 / 1152
Member:trypd
Title:Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Other authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Tags:humorous, british humor, sci-fi, apocalyptic

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (1990)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy : A Trilogy in Five Parts by Douglas Adams (ShelfMonkey)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (flonor)
    The Gates by John Connolly (midnightbex)
    midnightbex: Dealing with a similar end of the world theme, The Gates tells an entirely different but equally hilarious story about the apocalypse. As an added bonus, there is also the occasional amusing and often diverting foot note to look forward to.
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (yokai)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (elbakerone)
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    A Sudden Wild Magic by Diana Wynne Jones (allisongryski)
    allisongryski: These two books share a certain cheeky darkness and both have fantastic eccentric characters and wildly inventive plots
    Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett (NatalieAsIs)
    A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Gaiman has acknowledged his debt to Zelanzy. It echoes in Good Omens.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (electronicmemory)
    Small Gods by Terry Pratchett (electronicmemory)
    Barking Mad: A Reginald Spiffington Mystery by Jamieson Ridenhour (ChillnND)
    ChillnND: I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman style comedy fantasy and I found Barking Mad to be not dissimilar in its level of wit and humor combined with the supernatural/fantasy genre. Barking aims a bit more at good-natured parody of Agatha Christie and similarly styled mysteries. I looked forward to every minute of reading it and hope the author gives us some more Spiffington mysteries.… (more)
    The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams (brakketh)
    brakketh: British humor and modern approach to myths.
    Breakfast with the Ones You Love by Eliot Fintushel (octopedingenue)
    The Damned Busters by Matthew Hughes (hairball)
    hairball: This is kind of an obvious one, but hey! someone has to point out the obvious...
    Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein (infiniteletters)
    Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese (Awfki)
    Awfki: Not nearly as good but another humorous take on the apocalypse.
    If at Faust You Don't Succeed by Roger Zelazny (WildMaggie)
    The Dyke and the Dybbuk by Ellen Galford (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: You WILL love it. Trust me.
    The Creeps by John Connolly (kqueue)
    kqueue: Similar story of a young boy saving the world from demonic forces with lots of dry humor along the way.

1990s (2)
Satire (13)
Read (56)

English (563)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (583)
Credo di avere un problema con l'umorismo nei libri... Ho scelto di leggere questo libro perchè vedendo le recensioni tutti (o quasi) lo trovavano divertente e scritto benissimo. Io ho fatto una fatica pazzesca a leggerlo e a rimanere concentrata. Mi è sembrato troppo dispersivo, troppi cambi di scena repentini e tutte queste risate io proprio non le ho fatte. Immagino di non averlo proprio capito e mi dispiace :( L'unica cosa che mi è piaciuta sono i due personaggi principali: Crowley e Azraphel, i loro siparietti erano divertenti... per il resto noia. ( )
  Feseven78 | Apr 17, 2019 |
I first read this two years ago and loved it. I was working a crappy job and read a torrented ebook copy at the desk while at work. It made life just that much more bearable. For that I thank Messers Gaiman and Pratchett. This is also the reason I chose to reread it with my book club.

Good Omens is a tale of the Apocalypse. The end is drawing near and yet the Anti-Christ has gone missing, been misplaced, is more accurate. It's up to an angel and a demon, who are as close to friends as two beings who work for opposing teams can be, to find the Anti-Christ and try to end this messy end of the world business, since both of them have rather grown used to life on earth and have no real desire to return to their respective places of origin. As one can expect from Pratchett and Gaiman, the story contains a myriad of confounding and endearing characters who make things as insane as possible so that the reader has to set the book aside for a few moments just to take a breath. I love this sort of book.

About a week before the date of the book club, one of the ladies said to me, "Well, I read your Good Omens . . . Let's just say that I've read better books." Two days before the book club, my coworker tells me that at least three ladies have told her that they hated the book. Damn. So I got all paranoid and neurotic over it for the next two days, thinking that they must have found the topic offensive and therefore not at all funny. I hadn't thought that would be a problem when I chose the book, since I'd been doing this book club for almost a year and knew these ladies' tastes to a certain degree by now.

Day of the book club: The religious aspect had nothing to do with their dislike of the book. They both simply found it hard to read. One even stated that for a comedy, the humor was too subtle.

Alright, I got it now. This was okay; this was something I could understand. They didn't dig the writing style, no biggie. Pratchett's style is a little confusing with so many characters and subplots that it just builds and builds and can be a bit overwhelming. I tend to like this, but I had read quite a lot of Pratchett before I ever got to Good Omens, so I was used to his style. This was the first Gaiman novel I had ever read, though I've read a few others since.

It's always fun rereading a book. I found a few things that I had not noticed the first time around. For instance, one of the aliens is a robot shaped like a pepper pot that is an obvious reference to the Daleks from Doctor Who, but I never watched or knew anything about that show until last summer, so I didn't catch the reference my first time around. I wonder what else I'll find the next time I read it, because it's pretty certain that I'll want to read this book again and again.

I think Daddy will be wanting to borrow this book from me sometime in the near future. Perhaps I'll simply take it home with me next time I go to visit the parentals.

Verdict: I still love the book, though I agree with the ladies that the ending left something wanting and wasn't wholly satisfying. All the laughs make up for this in my mind, but they didn't get the laughs out of it that I did, so they felt it discolored what few good points they found in the book.*

Lesson: Never ask a book club to read a favorite book again, because I will consider their judgement of the book a judgement of me, even though I know damn well that that isn't the case.

* They thought the footnotes were often the funniest parts. Can't argue there. ( )
1 vote Jessiqa | Apr 16, 2019 |
Well this was a fun and zany read! Here's the premise: An angel and a demon have been enemies since day one in the Garden of Eden. Fast forward to the 90s and they've gotten fairly accustomed to the world and they fairly well like it. Enter in the Antichrist ... as a child. Neither the angel nor the demon are too happy about potentially allowing Armageddon to commence, and so, as the frenemies that they are, they decide to work together to derail the whole thing ... or at least neutralize each other’s actions enough that heaven and hell will have no choice but to abandon the plan and start all over, ultimately leaving the angel and demon to continue their enjoyment-filled lives on earth. This was a great mash up of Gaiman’s talent with words and descriptions and off characters and Pratchett’s wacky storylines. I’m happy to say I was pleasantly surprised!
  justagirlwithabook | Apr 13, 2019 |
The end of times as foretold in the Book of Revelation is at hand and the pieces are beginning to fall in place. The anti-Christ has been born and is now a 11-year-old named Adam. The hound from Hell has been released and has been adopted by Adam. The demonic creature was to assume the name and manifestation given to it by Adam, which he does: a Jack Russell-like terrier named, not "Satan" or "Spawn of Hell" but "dog."

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War, Death, Famine and Pollution (it would have been Pestilence, but he retired in 1936), now driving motorcycles are gathering with the goal to find Adam who will initiate Armageddon.

Crowley, the demon who tempted Adam and Eve in the guise of the serpent, has enjoyed his long tenure on Earth and really doesn't want it to end. He convinces his friend, Aziraphale, the angel who drove Adam and Eve from Eden, that the two have a good thing going and should do everything they can to stop doomsday.

This novel has been on my "to be read" stack for some time now, but since it is being released on May 31st as an Amazon Prime Original, I thought it best to read it. I enjoyed the satirical humor in this book, which one would expect from Terry Pratchett, one of the co-authors with Neil Gaiman of this book. If you are a fan of either of these authors, I would encourage you to read it. ( )
  John_Warner | Mar 31, 2019 |
I was very skeptical about reading this. In the end, I really loved it. I think the authors managed to treat the serious subject with fictionalized humor, and without being sacrilegious. That was quite a feat.

The writing really reminded me of one of my favorite authors, Jasper Fforde. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 30, 2019 |
The book tackles things most science fiction and fantasy writers never think about, much less write. It does it in a straightforward manner. It's about Predestination and Free Will, about chaos and order, about human beings, their technology and their belief systems. When the book is talking about the big questions, it's a wow. It leaves room in both the plot and the reader's reactions for the characters to move around in and do unexpected but very human things.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Howard Waldrop (pay site) (Dec 20, 1990)

''Good Omens'' is a direct descendant of ''The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,'' a vastly overpraised book or radio program or industry or something that became quite popular in Britain a decade ago when it became apparent that Margaret Thatcher would be in office for some time and that laughs were going to be hard to come by...

Obviously, it would be difficult to write a 354-page satirical novel without getting off a few good lines. I counted four... But to get to this material, the reader must wade through reams and reams of undergraduate dreck: recycled science-fiction cliches about using the gift of prophesy to make a killing in the stock market; shopworn jokes about American television programs (would you believe the book includes a joke about ''Have Gun, Will Travel''?); and an infuriating running gag about Queen, a vaudevillian rock group whose hits are buried far in the past and should have been buried sooner.
added by SnootyBaronet | editNew York Times, Joe Queenan (Nov 7, 1990)

When a scatterbrained Satanist nun goofs up a baby-switching scheme and delivers the infant Antichrist to the wrong couple, it's just the beginning of the comic errors in the divine plan for Armageddon which this fast-paced novel by two British writers zanily details... Some humor is strictly British, but most will appeal even to Americans "and other aliens."
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly (Jul 20, 1990)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sinkkonen, MarjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, GrahamCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
CAVEAT

Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
The authors would like to join the demon Crowley in dedicating this book to the memory of

G. K. CHESTERTON

A man who knew what was going on.
It was a nice day.
It'd be a funny old world, he reflected, if demons went round trusting one another.
And there was never an apple, in Adam's opinion, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it.
In one sense there was just clear air overhead. In another, stretching off to infinity, were the hosts of Heaven and Hell, wingtip to wingtip. If you looked really closely, and had been specially trained, you could tell the difference.
The book was commonly known as the Buggre Alle This Bible. The lengthy compositor's error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five....

5. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I tell you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone withe half an oz. of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @ *"AE@;!*
The Buggre Alle This Bible was also noteworthy for having twenty-seven verses in the third chapter of Genesis, instead of the more usual twenty-four.

They followed verse 24, which in the King James version reads:

"So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life," and read:

25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword which was given unto thee?

26 And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget me own head next.

27 And the Lord did not ask him again.

It appears that these verses were inserted during the proof stage. In those days it was common practice for printers to hang proof sheets to the wooden beams outside their shops, for the edification of the populace and some free proofreading, and since the whole print run was subsequently burned anyway, no one bothered to take up this matter with the nice Mr. A. Ziraphale, who ran the bookshop two doors along and was always so helpful with the translations, and whose handwriting was instantly recognizable.

According to the Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter - the world's only totally reliable guide to the future - the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. Just after tea.
The novel's message:
"Heaven. Hell. They are both dull.
On Earth, there's sushi!"
(WilliamOrmond)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060853980, Mass Market Paperback)

Pratchett (of Discworld fame) and Gaiman (of Sandman fame) may seem an unlikely combination, but the topic (Armageddon) of this fast-paced novel is old hat to both. Pratchett's wackiness collaborates with Gaiman's morbid humor; the result is a humanist delight to be savored and reread again and again. You see, there was a bit of a mixup when the Antichrist was born, due in part to the machinations of Crowley, who did not so much fall as saunter downwards, and in part to the mysterious ways as manifested in the form of a part-time rare book dealer, an angel named Aziraphale. Like top agents everywhere, they've long had more in common with each other than the sides they represent, or the conflict they are nominally engaged in. The only person who knows how it will all end is Agnes Nutter, a witch whose prophecies all come true, if one can only manage to decipher them. The minor characters along the way (Famine makes an appearance as diet crazes, no-calorie food and anorexia epidemics) are as much fun as the story as a whole, which adds up to one of those rare books which is enormous fun to read the first time, and the second time, and the third time...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:22 -0400)

The world is going to end next Saturday, but there are a few problems--the Antichrist has been misplaced, the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse ride motorcycles, and the representatives from heaven and hell decide that they like the human race.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,149,247 books! | Top bar: Always visible