Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac

Skeleton Man (2001)

by Joseph Bruchac

5972016,292 (3.78)6
    Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Skulduggery is a good guy and Skeleton Man is a bad guy, but I was thinking about the Skulduggery books the whole time I read Skeleton Man.
    Something Upstairs by Avi (FFortuna)
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (heidialice)
    heidialice: Spine-tingly fun!

A contemporary young Mohawk girl, sixth-grader Molly loves to listen to her father retelling the legend of Skeleton Man, a terrifying figure who becomes so hungry that he devours his own flesh before turning on his family. But when her parents disappear, and she is given into the care of an emaciated "uncle" she has never heard of before, Molly begins to fear that the story has become a reality...

The talented and prolific Joseph Bruchac, a Native American of Abenaki heritage, gives the middle-grade horror novel an indigenous twist in Skeleton Man, which successfully combines the "scary story" with elements of folk legend. Given the popularity of this genre, which tends to be dominated by more formulaic series, Bruchac's well-written offering should be most welcome. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jun 24, 2013 |
More of a modern re-telling of a folk tale than a novella. The author had me at the Acknowledgments page: After acknowledging the women tradition bearers who have taught him over the years, he goes on to say, "They have helped me understand even more deeply how different the strong women in our traditional American Indian stories are from the dependent damsels of European folktales who hope for a prince to rescue them. Not only do our Native American heroines take care of their own rescues, they often save the men, too!" ( )
  VikkiLaw | Apr 4, 2013 |
Another whim buy and read today... This was OK, but again not great. I expected a little bit more in terms of plot resolution, and it felt just, kind of glazed over.

Just OK, but interesting in terms of little tidbits about the main character's Native American heritage. ( )
  TheBecks | Apr 1, 2013 |
Legend has it there was a man who ate all the flesh on his bones. Then he ate his relatives. Years later, our heroine is left for the weekend by her parents. When they fail to return, a very thin man claims to be her uncle and is given custody. But, something just doesn't ring true to his story. This book will keep you turning pages to the very end. ( )
  ECHSLibrary | Jan 22, 2012 |
Ever since the morning Molly woke up to find that her parents hadvanished, her life has become filled with terrible questions. Where have her parents gone? Who is this spooky old man who's taken her to live with him, claiming to be her great-uncle? Why does he never eat, and why does he lock her in her room at night? What are her dreams of the Skeleton Man trying to tell her? There's one thing Molly does know. She needs to find some answers before it's too late. ( )
  mleon2 | Nov 30, 2011 |
For my wife, Carol, and my daughter-in-law, Jean, who are two of the bravest people I've ever known, and for all the young women who have yet to discover the courage that lives in their hearts.
I'm not sure how to begin this story.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:52 -0400)

After her parents disappear and she is turned over to the care of a strange "great-uncle," Molly must rely on her dreams about an old Mohawk story for her safety and maybe even for her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,577,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible