Hannibal by Thomas Harris

Hannibal (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Thomas Harris (Author)

A showdown between two psychopathic killers with a beautiful FBI agent caught in the middle. From his respirator, Mason Verger orders the capture of Hannibal Lecter, the man who put him there, and the bait is Clarice Starling with whom Lecter crossed swords in The Silence of the Lambs.
Member:chauveaux
Title:Hannibal
Authors:Thomas Harris (Author)
Info:Arrow Books Ltd (2000), Edition: New edition, 576 pages
Rating:*

Hannibal by Thomas Harris (1999)

English (69)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (73)
Something about this novel threw me off. I found the meter and tone very difficult to get by. Does not seem like it was written very well. The story is great....but compared to Silence it reads like a five year old wrote it. ( )
  Joe73 | Jun 25, 2019 |
In this final course we are seated to the hunt for Dr. Hannibal Lecter after several years on the run. Since we last saw her, FBI Agent Clarice Starling is slowly losing the faith of the FBI and those in the Department of Justice. The final straw comes when Starling botches a joint FBI-ATF-DEA operation to take down a drug manufacturer that she has dealt with before. During her fall from grace a powerful figure and only surviving victim of Dr. Lecter sees this as an opportunity to use Starling as bait to lure Dr. Lecter out of hiding. The plot is simmering nicely and the side of plot twists is sure to be divine. Enjoy. ( )
  Emery_Demers | Apr 30, 2019 |
Review: If Silence of the Lambs didn’t raise the hair on your neck Hannibal will set it on fire. However, I have my limits and this thriller jumped the boundary from believability into fantasy. Freud should have analyzed Hannibal Lector before dinner as Freud would have been the entrée.
Quality: Well-written just not my kind of story. ( )
  RickWeaver | Apr 22, 2019 |
I thought this extremely well-written and compelling, but have to admit I'm not sure about the ending. Normally I'm a sucker for controversial endings, but in this case it just seemed... wrong.

Either way, it doesn't come close to The Silence of the Lambs, but I think still stands up in its own right. I'm not even convinced one would need to have read the previous books to be able to follow this one. The basic idea of Hannibal Lecter is deeply enough ingrained in pop culture now that it would be easy enough to follow anyway.

An enjoyable (though at times uncomfortable) 3 and 1/2 stars. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Feb 23, 2019 |
A pretty good conclusion to the Hannibal Lecter series, but definitely lacks the energy and drive of Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. Although some additional insight into Hannibal's background is much appreciated, I felt that it could have been explored a bit further and with more tension (but I'm assuming that will be fully covered in Hannibal Rising). The most interesting characters were actually Mason and Margot Verger. Their dysfunctional family unit left the biggest impact. ( )
  rsplenda477 | Jan 8, 2019 |

Thomas Harrisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimaldi, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You would think that such a day would tremble to begin...
Clarice Starling's Mustang boomed up the entrance ramp at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms on Massachusetts Avenue, a headquarters rented from the Reverend Sun Myung Moon in the interest of economy.

The sequel to "Silence of the Lambs" marks the return of Dr Hannibal Lecter. One of Hannibal's victims, the influential and rich Mason Verger - a paraplegic confined to a respirator, thanks to Hannibal - is bent on revenge and Clarice Starling provides the perfect bait.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible