The Dragon King's Palace by Laura Joh…

The Dragon King's Palace (2003)

by Laura Joh Rowland

Series: Sano Ichiro Mysteries (8)

Okay, I liked the story, but I expected more, I'm not sure yet what, but I just wanted more. When Reiko has to confide and then is betrayed I don't know.. I feel like she should never have gotten close to Yanagisaw's crazy wife. She knew she was nutso in the beginning. And Hirata not sending word (one of the men back to Sano)? That was really out of character for him... Though it might set up future doubts between him and Sano.. I still am iffy about the way Reiko was going to sacrafice herself for everyone and taking advice from the Yanagisaw's loony wife was a bit of a jumping the shark for me.

lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
The entourage accompanying the shogun's mother on a spiritual retreat have either been slaughtered or kidnapped by unidentified Dragon King. One of those who was kidnapped was Reiko, the beautiful wife of the Most Honorable Investigator of Events, Situations, and People, Sano Ichiro. The shogun has received demands for the release of his mother, which includes the execution of the Police Commissioner Hoshina, a political rival of Sano. The mercurial shogun is eager to comply with the kidnapper's demands but Sano convinces him to delay the execution fearing that those kidnapped would still be murdered. Sano needs to quickly investigate the crime, determine the reason for the execution request, determine where the shogun's mother and his wife is being held and rescue them before the shogun becomes inpatient.

This historical mystery is one of several in the Sano Ichiro series and is the second one I have read. Although I found the aspects of the novel which spotlit Sano's spirited, intelligent and assertive wife, Reiko, I found much of the political intrigue tedious. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |
This is part of Rowland's Sano Ichiro Mystery series. The novel takes place in the late 1600s in Feudal Japan. The shogun's mother decides to take a trip to Mount Fuji and invites three women to be her traveling companions. The women are Reiko, the wife of Sano Ichiro - the shogun's Most Honorable Investigator; Reiko's friend Midori, the wife of Sano Ichiro's chief retainer; and Lady Yanagisawa, the wife of the shogan's Chamberlain. The three women are reluctant to accompany the shogun's mother, but they have no choice but to obey her wishes. On route to Mount Fuji, the party is attacked by ruthless warriors who kidnap the four women and kill everyone else. Political enemies, Sano Ichiro and Chamberlain Yanagisawa must work together to find out who kidnapped the shogun's mother and their wives and what the kidnapper wants. In the meantime, Reiko does not want to wait to be rescued and begins to try to find a way to escape.

I had a really hard time getting into the book. Part of the problem may have been that this is the eighth book in the series and I have not read any of the others. While the earlier books weren't necessary, I think that having a familiarity with the background and animosity of Sano Ichiro and Chamberlain Yanagisawa might have made the political maneuvering and forced partnership more interesting. I found that the characters were not fleshed out as much as I would like, and I think that is because the reader is expected to have a lot of the characters' background information from previous novels in the series. Overall the book was just OK, I am not sorry that I chose to read the book but I will probably not read any of the other books in the series. ( )
  Cora-R | Jan 17, 2016 |

Cora-R | Jan 13, 2016 |
A definite improvement over Pillow Book. Sano's wife, as well as the Shogun's mother, and Hirata and Yanagisawa's wives are kidnapped by someone identified only as "the Dragon King". The Shogun's desperation to rescue his mother forces Sano and Yanagisawa to work together if only to save their own skins, and because of the Dragon King's machinations, Yanagisawa is forced to break his alliance with Hoshina.

Again, the mystery seems like the backstory despite being the main focus of the novel, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Shaking up the political status quo made this an excellent read, and the ramifications of the fracturing in the Shogun's court as a result of this investigation is shaping up to be a greatly entertaining plot for future novels. ( )
  cyafer | Mar 30, 2013 |

Rowland, Laura Johprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Faktor, ViktorTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Neuhaus, WolfgangTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my father, Raymond Y. Joh, May 8, 1919 - June 14, 2002
Across dark water skimmed the boat, bound on a journey toward misadventure.

On a whim of the shogun's mother, a procession has left the sweltering heat of Edo, bound for the cooler climate of Mount Fuji. Among her traveling companions are Reiko, the beautiful wife of Sano Ichiro, the shogun's Most Honorable Investigator of Events, Situations, and People; Reiko's friend Midori, nine months pregnant; and Lady Yanagisawa, the deranged wife of the shogun's powerful second-in-command. None of them look forward to the trip. But their troubles have only begun when their procession is stopped suddenly on a deserted road. The entire retinue is viciously slaughtered and the four women are bound and taken away, imprisoned by a mysterious kidnapper.

Sano now finds himself faced with the most important case of his career. The shogun demands quick action, and under the threat of death, Sano is forced to work with his bitter enemies-Chamberlain Yanagisawa and Police Commissioner Hoshina. The delivery of a ransom note only complicates matters-forcing both Sano and Reiko to take desperate measures.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312990030, Mass Market Paperback)

In The Dragon King's Palace, Laura Joh Rowland’s dazzling combination of history and storytelling once again draws us into a sumptuous and treacherous world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:41 -0400)

On a whim of the shogun's mother, a procession has left the sweltering heat of Edo, bound for the cooler climate of Mount Fuji. Among her traveling companions are Reiko, the beautiful wife of Sano Ichir_, the shogun's Most Honorable Investigator of Events, Situations, and People Reiko's friend Midori, nine months pregnant and Lady Yanagisawa, the deranged wife of the shogun's powerful second-in-command. None of them look forward to the trip. But their troubles have only begun when their procession is stopped suddenly on a deserted road. The entire retinue is viciously slaughtered and the four women are bound and taken away, imprisoned by a mysterious kidnapper. Sano now finds himself faced with the most important case of his career. The shogun demands quick action, and under the threat of death, Sano is forced to work with his bitter enemies--Chamberlain Yanagisawa and Police Commissioner Hoshina. The women are in imminent danger, and the delivery of a ransom note only complicates matters--forcing both Sano and Reiko to take desperate measures. Once again, Laura Joh Rowland's dazzling combination of history and storytelling draws us into a sumptuous and treacherous world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,474,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible